Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

squinn2912 wrote: »
    That's a big problem with the simmentals alright. Great maternal but anything else will have a big horrible gut. Charolais my first love then lims. Not sure I buy it that sims rear the best calves

Out of second calvers, Jan/Feb born. 450kg at a guess. I'll let you know during the week when I sell them. They might have a bit of a gut but they won't be bet for daily weight gain and will weight like lead.
    What sort of cows to those two lads come from? They're great cattle surely but certainly don't have the shape of a lim/ch. Be interesting to see how they do up against weanlings of those breeds. My experience of them has always been that they don't weigh too well and are difficult to flesh as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

What sort of cows to those two lads come from? They're great cattle surely but certainly don't have the shape of a lim/ch. Be interesting to see how they do up against weanlings of those breeds. My experience of them has always been that they don't weigh too well and are difficult to flesh as well.

They are %90 sim. I'll agree that there is allot of very bad examples of the breed. To many kept for breeding that have shoulders like fr.

I'm guessing that you have a good sim stock bull? Very hard to change a good quiet bull that's doing the job for you. Would you consider a lim or ch to cross with them next time? Sim cow and Charolais calf is a great cross. You'd have plenty of milk for replacements. The auctioneer in our mart alternates every 3-4 years between charolais and sim. Ch stores in marts but sim in factories as he reckons the boys in the mart don't like the sims.

I'm guessing that you have a good sim stock bull? Very hard to change a good quiet bull that's doing the job for you. Would you consider a lim or ch to cross with them next time? Sim cow and Charolais calf is a great cross. You'd have plenty of milk for replacements. The auctioneer in our mart alternates every 3-4 years between charolais and sim. Ch stores in marts but sim in factories as he reckons the boys in the mart don't like the sims.

No im going to stick with sim. I'm aiming to sell replacement heifers at 14 months old and a few springers calving down at two years old. All bulls sold as wenlings to pay bills etc. I wouldn't have the space to keep them nor the knowledge to kill them tbh.

I try a few straws every year of a different breed just to have something different coming along. Tried shorthorn last year and got some lovely marked heifers and I'm going to try a few ch this spring. Looking for a ch that will produce nice wenlings, probably go with fiston or Jupiter.

No im going to stick with sim. I'm aiming to sell replacement heifers at 14 months old and a few springers calving down at two years old. All bulls sold as wenlings to pay bills etc. I wouldn't have the space to keep them nor the knowledge to kill them tbh.

I try a few straws every year of a different breed just to have something different coming along. Tried shorthorn last year and got some lovely marked heifers and I'm going to try a few ch this spring. Looking for a ch that will produce nice wenlings, probably go with fiston or Jupiter.
    Ahh I see I think you're doing exactly the right thing then if that's your target. I'd say the shorthorn x sim are making you lovely replacements?
    We're Lim (2 seasons with char) bulls over the last 10 years and char before that. I like that the lims will do both jobs but think I'd like to move back to char next time to make the more stylish weanling/store/finisher. If I get my way on that then it's not hard to guess what I'll have my head up for 3-4 seasons later!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Zag lad, not bad for her first calf !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭White Clover

sonnybill wrote: »

Miller

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

Fine calf! What you give her the second time around?

e900 278kg sold him today

Fine calf! What you give her the second time around?

In calf to LZF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

In calf to LZF
    Is he the replacement of PTE / HKI for 2nd calvers?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Is he the replacement of PTE / HKI for 2nd calvers?

Bigger than pte but not as muscled. a fine bull no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭High bike

Anyone any experience of a bull called Wilodge Cerberus???

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

High bike wrote: »

Haven't been following the limousin sales for a few years but remember he was all the rage at a premier sale I was at few years ago. I remember someone saying afterwards that his offspring could be stone mad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Who2

Serious bull with good shape in his off spring, one of my favorites

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Haven't been following the limousin sales for a few years but remember he was all the rage at a premier sale I was at few years ago. I remember someone saying afterwards that his offspring could be stone mad though.

That might have been me. Had to cull a purebred cerberus Lim cow before she killed someone. She wasn't even a nervous type just mad aggressive. She'd travel the length of the field to get someone after she calved.
    Just my experience of one cow mind ya.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Shame his offspring seem outstanding in every other way. Would vantastic be the solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

Hi folks, see the munster AI catalogue is out.
    Anyone any calves or knowledge of the limousin bull Lm4217 (moondharrig knell) that's on it. His figures are great but reliability is lowish.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Shame his offspring seem outstanding in every other way. Would vantastic be the solution?

The solution to what???

His straws will probably cost you a grand each if they can be got at all.
    Ampertaine Elgin seems to be all the rage at the minute with pedigree breeders.

pure breed wrote: »
    Hi folks, see the munster AI catalogue is out.
    Anyone any calves or knowledge of the limousin bull Lm4217 (moondharrig knell) that's on it. His figures are great but reliability is lowish.
    Thanks
    Great pedigree, bavardage x nimbus x Millbrook Hansome. Worth trying on one or two mature cows.
    I've seen a lot of very good bavardage cows. I have 2 of his straws.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

Who2 wrote: »
    Serious bull with good shape in his off spring, one of my favorites
    the reason I asked was I bought a purebred cow and she's incalf to him.Shape isn't much good if it's a lunatic like people here are saying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Who2

the reason I asked was I bought a purebred cow and she's incalf to him.Shape isn't much good if it's a lunatic like people here are saying

The couple i had were grand, they wouldnt lick your hand but you could walk in round them without disturbing them.

Who2 wrote: »
    The couple i had were grand, they wouldnt lick your hand but you could walk in round them without disturbing them.
    id settle for that,got rid of all the mad yokes I had and no intention of starting again;)

Out of second calvers, Jan/Feb born. 450kg at a guess. I'll let you know during the week when I sell them. They might have a bit of a gut but they won't be bet for daily weight gain and will weight like lead.

Pic 1 470kg €1030
    Pic 2 440kg €1060
    Other lads were 500kg €1090
    405kg €1010
    440kg €1090
    April ch bull plane but nice 345kg €900

Nice ch bulls same weight shape etc were €100/€150 more easily.

Black lims nice stock grading u with their ease seemed a bad trade for some reason. Back €50/€100 on the sims don't know why.

I'm happy with that tbh as what I loose with the bulls I'd hope to gain with the heifers. Definitely going to try a few ch straws in spring to hedge my bets.

Good going you were spot on with your predictions. Can't beat the good early calf. Be interesting to see how the ch go for you this time next year. When a farmer is used to a system often he will go back that way after trying something different

Have to scan 5 at home on Thursday that were AI'd to Bivouac.  Looks good for milk/maternal for a CH.
    Had you any issue with the Bivouac calves, what your thoughts on the bull?

Have to scan 5 at home on Thursday that were AI'd to Bivouac.  Looks good for milk/maternal for a CH.
    Had you any issue with the Bivouac calves, what your thoughts on the bull?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

p dogg wrote: »
    I see Progressive have a new simmental bull called Lis na Ri Gucci a glebefarm tyson son. I often wondered why gfy hadnt any sons in ai considering his star ratings and huge praise of his offspring. IS4 is gucci s maternal grandfather and I've heard nothing but good reports about him too. He could be a top quality sire with that sort of breeding

I see the Autumn Gene Ireland programme has Gucci straws for €5 each.

Good going you were spot on with your predictions. Can't beat the good early calf. Be interesting to see how the ch go for you this time next year. When a farmer is used to a system often he will go back that way after trying something different

I think char weanlings are getting scarcer this year. Also with the increasing amount of Lim breeding in suckler cows, the benefits of crossbreeding are lost by using a Lim bull again, instead of a char bull.
    Hard to beat that hairy yellow char weanling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I think char weanlings are getting scarcer this year. Also with the increasing amount of Lim breeding in suckler cows, the benefits of crossbreeding are lost by using a Lim bull again, instead of a char bull.
    Hard to beat that hairy yellow char weanling.

Nothing wrong with a limo/ch cow, heifer comes orange, use limo bull, heifer comes limo colour, use ch bull. That's the way I'm working atm. Though used a good bit of ch on the weaker pb limos this year, especially those with weaker stars as the bulls won't be as in demand.

I'd chance most but simmentals, just can't warm to them, maybe cause they're never liked in the ring around here at all.

Advertisement