Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Had 2 cows bulled the same day. one to crossmolina jupiter and the other to kjb.
    Two weeks between them to calve. Kjb calves love to stay inside anyways

Did the jupiter one calve ok. I hear he fairly ok

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Had 2 cows bulled the same day. one to crossmolina jupiter and the other to kjb.

KJB bull calf? We've had two heifers come out normal enough (2.5 weeks over the 9 months) but both bulls stayed in til around 4 weeks overdue!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Just looking at ZAG there on ICBF. €173 for replacement. One of the highest in the limousin breed. I see that his daughters calving interval is -6.06 days. Compare this to ESP, for example who is +7.48 days. That's a difference of 13 days between the two. ICBF cost this 13 days at €34 per year. Or €3,400 for a 100 cow herd. Fertility is a huge hidden cost.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    Did the jupiter one calve ok. I hear he fairly ok

Calved on slats during middle of day. No length calvinv

KJB bull calf? We've had two heifers come out normal enough (2.5 weeks over the 9 months) but both bulls stayed in til around 4 weeks overdue!!

Out of an adx cow. Small pull

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

tanko wrote: »
    Very poor for milk this year and it shows in their calves, they're in calf to XCD so hopefully they'll be better next year.
    Have you got some of them?
    Could be just the year that was in it, had a CQA heifer preform badly, hopefully better next time

Out of an adx cow. Small pull

Handy calf! He'll do well yet :) All the ones i've seen have matured to lovely calves though, it's just a pity about the gestation length or I'd use him on a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

I've a 20 month old heifer to calve to kjb in a few weeks. She's fairly big for her age and her mother would calve a house. Your picture looks like a lovely calf. Would Jupiter or euro bring much muscle trough to a r garage sim cow or would I be better off using fiston?

I've a 20 month old heifer to calve to kjb in a few weeks. She's fairly big for her age and her mother would calve a house. Your picture looks like a lovely calf. Would Jupiter or euro bring much muscle trough to a r garage sim cow or would I be better off using fiston?

Kjb has lovely calves pity about the gestation though.
    Not a fan of euro. Good calves but your playing a bit with fire because he brings them fairly big and you wouldnt want to be overfeeding them.
    Thats first jupiter calf i have. Nice calf but nothing special .
    Never used fiston . would want a tall cow for him.

Ai lad was trying to push euro but I wasn't sure. He's ust to going to lads that love sections and that. Il give fiston a go in spring and another ch prahaps just the job, I like the look of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Ai lad was trying to push euro but I wasn't sure. He's ust to going to lads that love sections and that. Il give fiston a go in spring and another ch prahaps just the job, I like the look of him.

Just the job has a high calving figure too. Euro or lsp will bring shape

Feck, I didn't realise how much of a jump his calving difficulty took, thanks. Just goes to show how much of a risk you can be taking on unproven bulls. I'll give lsp a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Did you try Jasper2?
    Nice looking bull

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

I used Fiston on a Classy cow (half AI Lim VDT, quarter BB, quarter Sim), was not impressed. Perhaps I was unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

I don’t want to worry you but I put four mature cows in calf to kjb they were all very big. Each cow brought between 26 and 32 days from nine months From the date of AI and it was touch and go jack. I would never ever use him again or keep anything off him. When I said to my AI man he told that he does a run a lot of extra time as bulls go. If your not happy when it comes to the heifer calfing down, don’t be afraid to ask for a section.

I don’t want to worry you but I put four mature cows in calf to kjb they were all very big. Each cow brought between 26 and 32 days from nine months From the date of AI and it was touch and go jack. I would never ever use him again or keep anything off him. When I said to my AI man he told that he does a run a lot of extra time as bulls go. If your not happy when it comes to the heifer calfing down, don’t be afraid to ask for a section.

1 in 14 will be a difficult calving on 1st calvers(7%) off kjb. Zag is 6%,hca is 6%, eby is 5%. Rio is 4%. Hes hardly off the charts imo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Why wouldnt you keep anything off KJB?
    He breeds nice heifers, they can be on the small side sometimes tho. Have two of them that calved at 26 months this year and they went back on calf pretty quick.
    The very long gestation with KJB is the big problem, wouldnt use him again because of it.

I've a lovely first calved heifer here off KJB, decent THZ calf off her this year & went back incalf 2nd AI. Put Crossmolina Jupiter on her, for my sins :D Def would use KJB again if I was guaranteed a heifer! She's lovely & quiet too.

This is her, she's not two until early Feb, she's not lacking size anyway. Her dam is unreal to calve. She puts the bag and calf out in under an hour every year so you really have to keep an eye on her.

tanko wrote: »
    Why wouldnt you keep anything off KJB?
    He breeds nice heifers, they can be on the small side sometimes tho. Have two of them that calved at 26 months this year and they went back on calf pretty quick.
    The very long gestation with KJB is the big problem, wouldnt use him again because of it.
    I wouldn’t keep anything off Kjb because his gestation period is too long. My AI man said he has seen cows carry 36 days. He is a relative easy Calder but. With time like that the calf’s are big and cause problems. Agree 100% lovely quality cattle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

He'll pass those long gestation genetics to his offspring too. If you have a cow by EBY, I'd hate to think how long you'd be waiting for a lim bull off her.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

He'll pass those long gestation genetics to his offspring too. If you have a cow by EBY, I'd hate to think how long you'd be waiting for a lim bull off her.

If u have lim cow better off to cross her to get hybrid vigour

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

Feck, I didn't realise how much of a jump his calving difficulty took, thanks. Just goes to show how much of a risk you can be taking on unproven bulls. I'll give lsp a go!

14 Mth Lsp heifer out of a fleckvieh cow

If u have lim cow better off to cross her to get hybrid vigour
    I am all for hybrid vigour but honestly don’t know to cross. Part could be a good option strange colors. Blonds bad prices at the marts. Charolais I work full time can be hard calfing dopey calf’s . I was settling on Sim. Good bulls calf’s with strong lim character and heifers that lads like for breeding. Then I went Roscommon last weekend and I was scarred at the giants of bulls for sale there. So I am back to lims, who cares about the vigor and go for an easy life with good quality cattle

14 Mth Lsp heifer out of a fleckvieh cow

No pic, try agin

I am all for hybrid vigour but honestly don’t know to cross. Part could be a good option strange colors. Blonds bad prices at the marts. Charolais I work full time can be hard calfing dopey calf’s . I was settling on Sim. Good bulls calf’s with strong lim character and heifers that lads like for breeding. Then I went Roscommon last weekend and I was scarred at the giants of bulls for sale there. So I am back to lims, who cares about the vigor and go for an easy life with good quality cattle

As an auctioneer says when they come in the ring. Blue, blue, blue!!

As an auctioneer says when they come in the ring. Blue, blue, blue!!

I like when calf’s come out the way they were intended and not the sun roof

I like when calf’s come out the way they were intended and sun roof

Funnily enough we've only ever had 5 sections here. One off a BB bull, one off a ch bull and three off different limousin bulls! :pac:

I like when calf’s come out the way they were intended and sun roof

Have u ever had blues? That is far from my experience

• Advertisement

Have u ever had blues? That is far from my experience

Honestly no it’s just when you look at there calfing difficulty scoring on the AI catalogs it puts me off

Advertisement