Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

padraigmck wrote: »
    I'm after recording an A.I service to the wrong cow on herdplus, is there any way to delete it?

Go in to scanning and say shes empty

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Go in to scanning and say shes empty

I wouldn't do that as it'd make the cow appear less fertile than she is. I'm fairly sure there's a way to delete it off the screen as I did it before when one broke and we sold her. Not got herdplus now so amn't able to log in and try it for you. I think it could have been an X button on the line with the cows details but can't remember for sure as it was 2 years ago.

I wouldn't do that as it'd make the cow appear less fertile than she is. I'm fairly sure there's a way to delete it off the screen as I did it before when one broke and we sold her. Not got herdplus now so amn't able to log in and try it for you. I think it could have been an X button on the line with the cows details but can't remember for sure as it was 2 years ago.

That doesnt really matter though, to me at least

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Found this old Munster AI catalogue in an old loft. A bit of nostalgia. Sorry for copying the first page twice , but I can't delete it.
    There's even a page on Mastercalf, a twinning programme.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Found this old Munster AI catalogue in an old loft. A bit of nostalgia. Sorry for copying the first page twice , but I can't delete it.
    Massive difference in Charolais then & now, average breed gestation of 285 days
    Wonder is there anywhere where you can access the old AI books, be interesting read

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Patsy that is a blast from the past fair play
    Can you post the mastercalf page I remember it was done on the sucklers when we were in Kildalton
    I wonder would it be a runner nowadays?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Mastercalf - Page from Munster AI catalogue 1992.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Thank You! It'd be great if there was other older ai books about. Oldest I found online was a Progressive book from 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Has anyone ever transferred embryos before? If so what are the conception rates and the costs involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭50HX

still have few BOA in the pot - use to finish em as bullocks - he was a good bull from memory.........wouldn't want to go by today's icbf rating:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Patsy that is a blast from the past fair play
    Can you post the mastercalf page I remember it was done on the sucklers when we were in Kildalton
    I wonder would it be a runner nowadays?

Ah I thought it was a hormonal twinning program they were experimenting with. Still some people in the UK putting in embryos to improve conception rates after AI in problem cows.

Would be interesting to import some Twinner cattle from USA and see how they fared in an Irish system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

I fecken hate twins. Hard on the cows calving, raring, going back in calf, watching bcs, Dont usually end up with as good an animal. What you gain in € is easily wiped away in unseen expenses on the cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Who2

I fecken hate twins. Hard on the cows calving, raring, going back in calf, watching bcs, Dont usually end up with as good an animal. What you gain in € is easily wiped away in unseen expenses on the cow.

im not a fan either but find with a little feeding youll still pull back more on a set usually. The average sets here for the last few years have pulled in around 1400, taking good with bad. ive no other cows landing out the same value.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

padraigmck wrote: »
    I'm after recording an A.I service to the wrong cow on herdplus, is there any way to delete it?
    It straight forward.
    Go to record events/ ai heat service
    Click on the tag no of the cow and you delete the enrty

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

Gave a pb sim heifer the easiest aa bull with a good reliability index i could find. I decided on zlt. Heifer was very heavy. Figured it must be twins. She was calfing down at 24 months. Calfed yesterday we had a huge pull called the vet luckily as i did not like it when a bit of pressure on with jack. Nearly lost heifer and calf. Some where the along the way the straw got mixed up either ai man or ai station, but she had huge bull belgian blue. All alive tiday and doing well. Cow has a bit of damage calf hasn’t got up but will be fine. Do you ever know what to expect.

Had an ecolo calf 2 hours ago, cow calfed herself grand. Went out there to give it suck and he wa standing but his front left leg is bowed kinda like a banana and the back left leg is out from him aswell. Very similiar to lady haywires calf :(

Had an ecolo calf 2 hours ago, cow calfed herself grand. Went out there to give it suck and he wa standing but his front left leg is bowed kinda like a banana and the back left leg is out from him aswell. Very similiar to lady haywires calf :(

Stifle joint was out on mine though, yours could be selenium/vit E deficiency or just curled up wrong in the cow. I'd give a multivit shot to any I see like that, doesn't harm them anyway.

While on the subject of calving, anyone any ZXT calves? One due in a month & she's heavy looking.

Stifle joint was out on mine though, yours could be selenium/vit E deficiency or just curled up wrong in the cow. I'd give a multivit shot to any I see like that, doesn't harm them anyway.

While on the subject of calving, anyone any ZXT calves? One due in a month & she's heavy looking.

Front leg is bent sideways rather than in front of him. He got selenium already

Be a nice calf when he grows up!
    I honestly wouldn't worry about that slight bend at all, very similar to this guy of mine here, who was just lying awkward in the cow so had a sideways front leg and a twist in his back one. Took about a week to straighten out on its own but 100% after that.
    Let me know how he goes....and how he grows!:D

Be a nice calf when he grows up!
    I honestly wouldn't worry about that slight bend at all, very similar to this guy of mine here, who was just lying awkward in the cow so had a sideways front leg and a twist in his back one. Took about a week to straighten out on its own but 100% after that.
    Let me know how he goes....and how he grows!:D

How is "ribeye" now?

• Advertisement

Some frame on that calf. Hope it comes right for you. I've had big calves with their front legs all over the place and they all came good after a few weeks.

Some frame on that calf. Hope it comes right for you. I've had big calves with their front legs all over the place and they all came good after a few weeks.

Here's hoping. I dont mind the back leg as much as the front leg. He doesnt put any weight on it at all really. Cow is aggressive so cant get proper picture but if you look at top picture youll see the way its sort of bent out from underneath him iykwim

How is "ribeye" now?

She's great, like a mini hairy tank :D Wouldn't notice the leg at all now apart from if she gets stressed or if you were watching her closely. Only issue is she's stayed a little low but I'm hoping the blonde in her will bring the height sooner or later, will be running her for the summer with calved cows on our outfarm.
    That's her here in the middle beside the white one, she's about 6 months there, was taken a few weeks ago.
    gKWuh4Fl.jpg

Here's hoping. I dont mind the back leg as much as the front leg. He doesnt put any weight on it at all really. Cow is aggressive so cant get proper picture but if you look at top picture youll see the way its sort of bent out from underneath him iykwim

See what you mean now. It's fairly bend all right. When it's safe might be worth seeing if there is a wobble in it. A calf that young would be grand with a splint on it for a week or two.

See what you mean now. It's fairly bend all right. When it's safe might be worth seeing if there is a wobble in it. A calf that young would be grand with a splint on it for a week or two.

A splint would have a job to straighten that id say...

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭annubis

ya had one last week from a limo cow, very handy calf now

A splint would have a job to straighten that id say...

Oh I see it better now. Could be contracted tendons? Is the mother sociable enough for you to work at it and see if it'll pull straight?
    If it was my calf i'd be working on that each day, pulling it straight and massaging it a bit before splinting. Where's that greysides til he says what he thinks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

See how he is in a few days i think he will be fine. How are u finding Ecolo, Have u many by him ?

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    See how he is in a few days i think he will be fine. How are u finding Ecolo, Have u many by him ?

Just the one. The whole left side is worpt. The front leg is bent and theres a big curve in the back leg aswell if you look. Would be a fantastic calf otherwise. Seems a small bit low compared to her other calves so ecolo eould be for tall cows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭annubis

Just the one. The whole left side is worpt. The front leg is bent and theres a big curve in the back leg aswell if you look. Would be a fantastic calf otherwise. Seems a small bit low compared to her other calves so ecolo eould be for tall cows
    mayo health care do a small calf bolus, basically a tablet think its called oromanga, probably pronouncing it wrong there but a vet gave it to me before for a calf with joint problems, remember her telling me it was great to help calves straighten up crocked legs etc, might be wortha shot

Advertisement