Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Just looking at Munster AI book
    It mentions Cavelands Levi should have calves on the ground in Autumn.
    Has anyone any calves & how are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

While on the subject of calving, anyone any ZXT calves? One due in a month & she's heavy looking.

Ive only had 1 ZXT calf but very easy calving. It was a heifer calf weighing 35kg from a blonde cow. Calf developed into a nice muscly weanling but was always small

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

Is Highfield Odran gone, I dont see him on progressive's website?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

TPF2012 wrote: »
    Is Highfield Odran gone, I dont see him on progressive's website?

Looks like he's gone, your Ai technician might have straws off him or maybe your local NCBC rep might be able to get you some straws.
    Have you any calves off him??

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

tanko wrote: »
    Looks like he's gone, your Ai technician might have straws off him or maybe your local NCBC rep might be able to get you some straws.
    Have you any calves off him??

Not yet, have two heifer in calf to him. I was hoping to try him on a few more heifers. Any other good alternatives, want easy calving and trying to stay away from aa. Use progressive mostly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Not yet, have two heifer in calf to him. I was hoping to try him on a few more heifers. Any other good alternatives, want easy calving and trying to stay away from aa. Use progressive mostly.

PG have orher Saler bulls but i dont know much about them
    Highfield Odrans sire Valliant (VTA) is very easy calved. Bova have him.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Could also try Lataster Eric LZR. Have used him on heifers and he brought good height and length so would use on more beefy bloodlines. Bonaparte is the only other one I can think of in the PG book that would be commercially available but I wouldn't be gone on him looking at his stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Bit of an update on calf. Still holding leg.he puts barely any weight on it at all. Vet wont put cast on till at least two weeks of age. Thriving well though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭High bike

have a couple of maidens to calve to him in March at 24 mts,why is he gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Looking at stockbull off Cavelands Fenian (LZF) - anyone any feedback?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Easy enough calved while bringing decent stuff.
    But won't have two many show strippers unless you've very shapely cows

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭annubis

bought some goldstar ludwig and cavelands levi off gene ireland, only fiver a straw so how bad

annubis wrote: »
    bought some goldstar ludwig and cavelands levi off gene ireland, only fiver a straw so how bad
    Impressive looking bulls, they’re on the website awhile, wonder if there is any calves on the ground or close to it

Impressive looking bulls, they’re on the website awhile, wonder if there is any calves on the ground or close to it
    ya its a good while since i ordered them but they were only delivered recently, was surprised they hadnt been snapped up already when i ordered

Good square animals that are easy calved.
    Have a great pb charolais heifer of him atm

What’s she like for hip width?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Breeds decent looking char calves. Heard somewhere he hasnt the double muscle gene, so is a safer bet on shapier cows.

Anyone use this guy. Lovely looking bull

Bigbird1 wrote: »

Dovea have a few lovely charolais new bulls

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Who2

He looks to have everything appearance wise except length imo.

• Advertisement

Who2 wrote: »
    He looks to have everything appearance wise except length imo.
    Great bloodline, Pirate, CF52 & Jupiter Dam is full sister to Ashleigh Victor / Admiral.

Ya the dam is breeding very well to different sires too

have 2 x pirate straws in tank, nearly afraid to use them in case cow doesnt keep. have a good 52 cow, wondering if i should flush her and use the straws..have never had anything flushed so not too well up on it

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Thanks. Looking at a bull by Pirate as well. The CD figures for the Pirate and LZF bull are both around 7.3%. LZF lad much bigger bull. Wondering if Pirate lad would be more guaranteed easy calving even though CD for both similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Thanks. Looking at a bull by Pirate as well. The CD figures for the Pirate and LZF bull are both around 7.3%. LZF lad much bigger bull. Wondering if Pirate lad would be more guaranteed easy calving even though CD for both similar?

Id say LES is just a growther bull iykwim.
    I've used him on blue cows no bother. Of the 2 I would agree the pirate calves were handler alright. I wouldn't worry about either of um TBH so long as you have any kind of pre calving treatment for your cows

I think He looks better in the picture from the 2016 Cracker
    http://charolais.ie/2016/12/05/christmas-cracker-show-sale-report-2016/

I think He looks better in the picture from the 2016 Cracker
    http://charolais.ie/2016/12/05/christmas-cracker-show-sale-report-2016/

He looks very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Centrepassage

Don't think he is that low. Seen him a few times. Bred in East Clare by department of agriculture Inspector. Has super stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sligoronan

Little dose this lady know her boyfriend ZAG has a calling difficulty of 4.5%.
    Due on the 27th.

1EF8EC51-6350-413A-9ABD-DC4A68ED7CFB_zpsruovbn1d.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Who2

Has anyone here got any heifers calved or calving out of the blue bull greystones governor or the si bull fifty cent or the part bull bourvil? ive a share of second calvers i was going to chance the blue on and around 15 heifers i was going to chance the part and si on. most would be limo with sh and si breeding, well grown and should be averaging 500 kg for bulling. il be running a limo bull to clean up and my main stock bull is limo, so i wanted to throw a bit of change into the mix. Bulls are usually but not always sold as weanlings and heifers are kept for breeding if i like them and if not they might be sold or finished, all depends on stocking and finances. anyway if anyone has first hnd experience could they please share.

Advertisement