Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Not first hand info but i was talking to a man last week that has super cattle, uses all Ai and is very impressed with his Lisnacrann Fifty Cent calves, he thinks hes a super bull, cant remember if he used him on any heifers tho.
    I've LIsnacrann Sunnyboy calves here this year, very easy calved on cows and super calves i think and exceptionally quiet. He's €50 a straw now unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭valtra2

Who2 wrote: »
    Has anyone here got any heifers calved or calving out of the blue bull greystones governor or the si bull fifty cent or the part bull bourvil? ive a share of second calvers i was going to chance the blue on and around 15 heifers i was going to chance the part and si on. most would be limo with sh and si breeding, well grown and should be averaging 500 kg for bulling. il be running a limo bull to clean up and my main stock bull is limo, so i wanted to throw a bit of change into the mix. Bulls are usually but not always sold as weanlings and heifers are kept for breeding if i like them and if not they might be sold or finished, all depends on stocking and finances. anyway if anyone has first hnd experience could they please share.

Have a few fifty cent on 3rd and 4th Calver none on heifers. Have xcd on heifers had few last year and easily called and Great growth with bulls 450kg at 10 months. Fifty cent will be calling next month so will know more then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,062 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Had a pedigree Partenaise bull by Bourvil here a couple of years ago. Nice and easy calved. Growthy rather than low and muscly.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Don't think he is that low. Seen him a few times. Bred in East Clare by department of agriculture Inspector. Has super stock.

Good thick well shaped bull. I wouldnt knock a beast for height, width and lenght are important.

Bulls used this year

• Advertisement

47 cows to calve, that'll keep you busy!!!
    Have you any calves off Kilbride farm dragoon (ZKF) already?
    He's a serious looking bull on paper and is producing savage stock from what i've seen.

tanko wrote: »
    47 cows to calve, that'll keep you busy!!!
    Have you any calves off Kilbride farm dragoon (ZKF) already?
    He's a serious looking bull on paper and is producing savage stock from what i've seen.

No that is first year with him. 47 not to bad. It's the full time job that's the killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

Had a pedigree Partenaise bull by Bourvil here a couple of years ago. Nice and easy calved. Growthy rather than low and muscly.

How do your part bull weanlings sell, have a couple was hoping for heifer replacements.

pure breed wrote: »
    How do your part bull weanlings sell, have a couple was hoping for heifer replacements.

I normally kill everything but sold a 16 month old bullock by ZGH for 1400 back in August

valtra2 wrote: »
    Bulls used this year

Have you anything off Tomschoice Jet (Lm4007) yet?

• Advertisement

valtra2 wrote: »
    Bulls used this year

Got a cracking heifer off GEU this spring. Will be using more of him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Have you anything off Tomschoice Jet (Lm4007) yet?

Have a bull here, nice shape, no assistance @ 288 days on first calver, very vigorous

Has anyone anything on JSS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭50HX

have a bundle of black AAx & LMx, handy enough cows

what would ye recommend, used a share of zag last year but they all came black in colour and that's not as good a seller as the red down around here

is there such a thing as an easy calving CH:D

have fsz in the pot but he might be a bit big for them

can focus in terminal this year as i'm ok for the bdgp replacement wise

Have you tried Fiston on cows already?
    Any cow that has had a couple of calves and cant manage him wont calve much. Doubt if you'll get an easier calved CH bull.
    Ive had more bother with cows calving ZAG than Fiston.

Any cow that has had a couple of calves and cant manage him wont calve much. Doubt if you'll get an easier calved CH bull.

i've put him on strong Lm cows and happy with him

the other cows wouldn't be as strong,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

What’s the ideal cow for fiston?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Who2

What’s the ideal cow for fiston?

Tall long limo.

50HX wrote: »
    i've put him on strong Lm cows and happy with him

the other cows wouldn't be as strong,

Even if theyre not as strong, if theyve had a couple of calves i think theyll be grand.
    I thiink fiston suits big cows with a bit of muscle and that his calves sell better as stores than weanlings. Mine really took off when they were a year old.

Looking at TZL as well

Looking at TZL as well

He's €38/straw unfortunately, like a lot of the NCBC Charolais bulls.

• Advertisement

He's €38/straw unfortunately, like a lot of the NCBC Charolais bulls.

ouch..where do you see the prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Anyone use fiddy cent on heifers? He is at 3%.

16% on the 32 heifers he's calved to.
    I'd be waiting for anothe proof run before putting him on heifers

ouch..where do you see the prices

Go to progressive genetics website and click on "more detail" under the bulls picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Ch2304 is easy calved. Coom indurain us meant to be too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Pidae.m wrote: »
    Anyone use fiddy cent on heifers? He is at 3%.

Earp would be better for heifers,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭adne

Had 2 nice calves off ZCH both came big and brought a lot of time.
    I'd be careful what I use him on

adne wrote: »
    Had 2 nice calves off ZCH both came big and brought a lot of time.
    I'd be careful what I use him on

Had one bull off him last year of a mature cow, had to put the ropes on him but not too hard pulled. He seems to bring big, heavy boned calves, almost more like charolais than lims.
    I'd say cattle off him wouldnt be easy finished.
    I can repeat here what my vet said about him last year but i doubt he'll be used much from now on given his CD. Dont think hes in the latest PG book.
    He has a good figure for daughters milk tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Clenagh Jasper is a easy calving charolais bull. I seen him when sold at the xmas cracker sale bout 2 years ago. Nice well shaped stylish bull. Not over big. I hear hes easy calved. Pirate dam.

• Advertisement

Anybody use CH2000? Bought in 2 cows in calf to him and wondering what to expect

Advertisement