Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Anybody use CH2000? Bought in 2 cows in calf to him and wondering what to expect

Used him on a lim hoping for a heifer. Came out smallish but well put together, a nice goldie. Only started to thrive and look a decent quality once he hit 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Have a heifer incalf to kjb gone 304 days today ha. She's not huge looking and looks like she could go another week. Definitely not incalf to anything else as she stayed on the home block for the summer nowhere near a bull and only served once.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Ya, KJB in the bottom 1% for gestation so no surprise there.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

Ya, KJB in the bottom 1% for gestation so no surprise there.

Lovely bull great quality. But a nightmare had a cow that went 32 plus nine months to him. Never ever again

Ya don't think I'll use him again, can't have them in the oven that long. Looking for hardship and longer for her to go back incalf too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Used KJB on young cows a few years ago, his gestation is a joke, worst ive ever seen.
    Its a real pity because he breeds nice cattle, some of them can be butty tho.
    Even though his gestation is so long hes not hard calved.

tanko wrote: »
    Used KJB on young cows a few years ago, his gestation is a joke, worst ive ever seen.
    Its a real pity because he breeds nice cattle, some of them can be butty tho.
    Even though his gestation is so long hes not hard calved.

I gave a PB sim heifer the easiest bull I could find in Dovea with a good reliability. I decided on AA zlt. What a monster came out big bone big shoulders big hips big square blocky heads . I nearly lost heifer and calf , I was full sure he was a B.B. I was speaking to my AI man. He said that bull is throwing some monsters of calf’s and he should not have the score he has. He said don’t relies on Icbf figures ask the farmers who use him. He said he should not be used on Beef heifers

Is it possible thst straws were mixed up, it does happen.

Is it possible thst straws were mixed up, it does happen.

Definitely possible also

Maybe the AI guy is trying to cover up for his own mistake.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Hi all. I'm looking at options for a bull to give to a very muscly blue heifer. She is a show type heifer I reared from a very good lim cow. At this stage looking at her I expect that she will not calf naturally but interested to hear if anyone has similar types animal then what bull would you use with easy calving in mind e.g Limousin, Angus, Saler etc. I mainly use Limousin here on heifers sometime blonde due to light bone but this time I'm thinking of Aubrac but I have no experience at all of these

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Hi all. I'm looking at options for a bull to give to a very muscly blue heifer. She is a show type heifer I reared from a very good lim cow. At this stage looking at her I expect that she will not calf naturally but interested to hear if anyone has similar types animal then what bull would you use with easy calving in mind e.g Limousin, Angus, Saler etc. I mainly use Limousin here on heifers sometime blonde due to light bone but this time I'm thinking of Aubrac but I have no experience at all of these

I've had a few of them here. Allot of the time the heifer will be an entirely different animal by calving time. I use ZAG on most extremely muscular cows and heifers.
    Out of interest why would you keep her for breeding if your expecting a section?
    What age is the heifer now? What age are you going to calve her down at?

I'd put an easy calving saler on her if you want a chance of a natural birth.

A friend of mine put TVR on a bunch of heifers a few years ago, knew he'd have to section them all and sold them with calves at foot. Serious calves they were but doesnt a section cost about €300 now.

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Out of interest why would you keep her for breeding if your expecting a section?
    What age is the heifer now? What age are you going to calve her down at?

I have a big interest in the show cattle and would like to produce a commercial show calf. It might turn out that it's not for me but I would like to try it once anyway.

Heifer will be 2yrs in Feb and I plan to ai her so that she will be calving down in nov next year.

I'd put an easy calving saler on her if you want a chance of a natural birth

Cheers Tanko. Would never have thought of saler. Have you much experience with them on muscly cows

Cheers Tanko. Would never have thought of saler. Have you much experience with them on muscly cows

Have only used RIO and Highfield Odran on heifers the last three years not on cows, think theyre a great job on muscly heifers for stress free calving and nice cattle after.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Anyone have any feedback on the Charolais bull Goldstar Echo (GHX)? Would he be anywhere near the level of Pirate or Fiston?

Have only used RIO and Highfield Odran on heifers the last three years not on cows, think theyre a great job on muscly heifers for stress free calving and nice cattle after.

Thanks tanko

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Imo if youre going to have a section with an easy lim or saler. Id go full on blue. Youd have a serious calf. If its worth the 200 or so premium i dont know.

Just because shes muscly doesnt mean she is going to be necessarily a bad calver.

Just because shes muscly doesnt mean she is going to be necessarily a bad calver.

I was thinking the same. She might just calf herself she has good width either side of the tail but I wouldn't like to go to hard on her for the first time. I often herd that they loosen up after first calf and might handle a bigger bull second time round

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

I have a big interest in the show cattle and would like to produce a commercial show calf. It might turn out that it's not for me but I would like to try it once anyway.

Heifer will be 2yrs in Feb and I plan to ai her so that she will be calving down in nov next year.

If youre trying to breed a show animal c sections will hardly worry ya!!!

What kind of money can show cattle make? Or is it a guaranteed loss making venture?

What kind of money can show cattle make? Or is it a guaranteed loss making venture?

Well I was at that carrick fat stock sale and the prices were crazy. Similar animals sold in local mart for allot less.

Might as well go all in and stick csq in her, pick the day and do an elective section on her. No panicking then if it gets stuck at the hips.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Might as well go all in and stick csq in her, pick the day and do an elective section on her. No panicking then if it gets stuck at the hips.

Ecolo or tvr or adijo or te likes would be my choice

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Have u got any pic of her ?

Milbrook Dartagnan (MBP) seems to breed serious quality show cattle.
    He's not exactly easy calved but not near as bad as a lot of the other bulls used for breeding show cattle.
    Dont expect his heifers to have any milk tho.

A pedigree blue breeder near me advised the exact same thing to me!!! You are on the ball

Milbrook Dartagnan (MBP) seems to breed serious quality show cattle.
    He's not exactly easy calved but not near as bad as a lot of the other bulls used for breeding show cattle.
    Dont expect his heifers to have any milk tho.

Ya there was allot of mbp heifers down in carrick aswell. I've one calving down in Feb. She's plain enough though

• Advertisement

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    Have u got any pic of her ?

No recent one but this was taken in summer

Advertisement