Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

RobinBanks wrote: »
    No recent one but this was taken in summer
    If you could get in and measure her pelvic opening, you'd be in a better position to judge.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

If you could get in and measure her pelvic opening, you'd be in a better position to judge.

Would hip width make a difference too

Anyone have any feedback on the Charolais bull Goldstar Echo (GHX)? Would he be anywhere near the level of Pirate or Fiston?

Never used him & don’t think he’s available anymore
    Should be easy calved he’s out of Texan Gie & a CF52 dam.

Would hip width make a difference too
    If the external width of the hips was good, you would be confident that the opening inside was good too. But you never know.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Someone was asking about the sim bull fifty cent.
    Have a calf from him off a big charlaois cow, calf born very small and hardy, growing and filling out v.well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Lovely heifer. Put ZAG on her. She'll calve him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Who2

I'd have to agree with zag, I've calved heifers far more muscle no hassle than her. Get your silage man to handle her he should know. Any chance you'd sell her?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Lovely heifer. Put ZAG on her. She'll calve him.

I have a 2nd calver incalf to Zag but she's a completely different heifer to this one even though both are out of Germinal.

I've seen some lovely Zag cattle but is it true ya need a fairly tall cow for him?

Who2 wrote: »
    I'd have to agree with zag, I've calved heifers far more muscle no hassle than her. Get your silage man to handle her he should know. Any chance you'd sell her?

That's good to know. I suppose most of my cows are plain enough so going down the muscly route is new to me.

This is her sister from this year but out of imperial. I've her kept aswell with a couple other weanling heifers for breeding

DEP cow in background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

What a beaut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

That's good to know. I suppose most of my cows are plain enough so going down the muscly route is new to me.

This is her sister from this year but out of imperial. I've her kept aswell with a couple other weanling heifers for breeding

DEP cow in background.

Lovely sort of blue cow that, but i think the imperial is too extreme in shape.

DEP cow in background.
    That's my sort of animal. Just making sure they are wide enough is the issue. I'd be fond of limo on them blonde too but you can get the odd bull calf that carries over and wrecks an animal

If external width of the hips was good, you would be confident that the opening inside was good too. But you never know.

Have a heifer good pelvic length but narrow hip width.
    What’s the option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

I have a 2nd calver incalf to Zag but she's a completely different heifer to this one even though both are out of Germinal.

I've seen some lovely Zag cattle but is it true ya need a fairly tall cow for him?

I haven't had that problem with him . And it won't really matter if your selling them as weanlings. I find the fiston calves can get caught for height alright. Particularly the heavily muscled one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Just the one zag calf last year for us on a heifer. Wound up a side door job but I think more to do with her. She opened up very little. Bulled to stock bull now. Super bull calf

Have a heifer good pelvic length but narrow hip width.
    What’s the option

Well the calf has to come through here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Isl bull calf born today, unassisted. Lovely heifer by him born yesterday I'll get a pic of her tomorrow. Any I had are born small and grow like feck. Suits a short muscled cow. I almost think his cd of %7 is to hard on him. I'd nearly chance him on a strong heifer.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Isl bull calf born today, unassisted. Lovely heifer by him born yesterday I'll get a pic of her tomorrow. Any I had are born small and grow like feck. Suits a short muscled cow. I almost think his cd of %7 is to hard on him. I'd nearly chance him on a strong heifer.

I've used him on heifers and never had a problem. They all seem to come with the really tight curly hair which some buyers don't seem to like, doesn't bother me though.

Isl Lovely heifer by him born yesterday.

An early xmas present!!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭essgee268

has any one any heifer by ISL calved and how are they

• Advertisement

Has anyone any calves off tomschoice iceberg or curaheen gunshot? I'll be real cheeky and if they do could they throw up pics with the dams. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Has anyone any calves off tomschoice iceberg or curaheen gunshot? I'll be real cheeky and if they do could they throw up pics with the dams. Cheers.

Have an iceberg due in a week to an ERE dam so should be an interesting cross!

I just put iceberg on a ion heifer and a nin heifer. Got greedy and stuck gunshot on a sh heifer by jfz. Here's hoping for a heifer calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I just put iceberg on a ion heifer and a nin heifer. Got greedy and stuck gunshot on a sh heifer by jfz. Here's hoping for a heifer calf.

Should be good crosses, esp the sh one! Hopefully Icebergs figures don't jump up and down too much, he has decent breeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭valtra2

Have a few to tomchoice jet to calf next month. Have friend who has few of him and is very impressed with him

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

I have 4 in calf to curaheen gunshot but the first of them isn’t due until the end of feb. I put him on 3 sim cows and 1 sim x ch. looking forward to seeing what kinda calf he throws, he’s a lovely looking bull with good figures to match

I've a pedigree mas de Clo second calver bulling this morning. Any suggestions on what to put on her? Bova or dovea for ai, I thought she had gone in calf already but doesn't look like it.

I've a pedigree mas de Clo second calver bulling this morning. Any suggestions on what to put on her? Bova or dovea for ai, I thought she had gone in calf already but doesn't look like it.

I take it she's purebred. I really like the look of the Bova bull Excel (LM4017). Haven't used him yet, but might next year. Very correct looking bull with good figures.

https://webapp.icbf.com/bull-search/view/1352137684

I take it she's purebred. I really like the look of the Bova bull Excel (LM4017). Haven't used him yet, but might next year. Very correct looking bull with good figures.

https://webapp.icbf.com/bull-search/view/1352137684

I hadn't paid much attention to that bull but he looks a good option, she's ai'd with him now, thanks for the suggestion.

• Advertisement

Hope he works out for you. Does your AI guy carry Bova straws?

Advertisement