Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Who2

Hope he works out for you. Does your AI guy carry Bova straws?

Yes, he has a couple of tanks. Dovea mainly, bova as well and then carries a lot of specials as he does a lot of pedigree breeding himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Thats handy. Gamin (ZGM) is another good bull that Bova have. I've seen a few good bulls by him.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Thats handy. Gamin (ZGM) is another good bull that Bova have. I've seen a few good bulls by him.

Something about him I'm not overly keen on appearance wise. I like yhw and have seen some serious stock off mullary intrepid too but very terminal only imo. Hopefully these don't repeat and I have only one pedigree sim left to go incalf but she's rearing twins on slats so I doubt she'll be bulling any time soon. I've a few jfz x ion Heifer's to get a couple of sfl x limo and two isl heifers. I was going to chance bouvril on two of the black ones. Keep the suggestions coming I wouldn't have given excel a look only you suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Cavelands Jolly (LM2395) and Ewdenvale Ivor (LM2014) look good, havent used either tho,

tanko wrote: »
    Cavelands Jolly (LM2395) and Ewdenvale Ivor (LM2014) look good, havent used either tho,

I've a lot of ion breeding in my cows so jolly would be too close.2014 looks a serious option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

Lm2014 is easy calved and puts a nice bit of muscle on them

I have some pic’s of this years calves on pages 210 of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭milligan2

Anyone look at Derrygullane Kingbull with PG,looks the business and has good breeding in him

milligan2 wrote: »
    Anyone look at Derrygullane Kingbull with PG,looks the business and has good breeding in him

Hes a savage looking bull, has massive muscle, skeletal and carcase figures.
    He'll hardly turn out to be too easy calved, take a good cow to calve him.
    Hes €28/straw.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Was looking at the 2017 Dovea book and they've a hereford bull Gouldingpoll 1 Easy Peezy (HE2286) and they say he's not suitable for pedigree breeding...why would that be? I know it's a thing with Charolais and Culards but never seen it for Herefords

• Registered Users Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Not familiar with that bull but when that happens it's one of two things
    1) a question mark arises about his pedigree
    Or 2
    2) he's carrying a resessive gene that they don't want in the breed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Isl heifer a month old, out of a nice square plane sim cow with plenty of milk. She's looking good so far.

Isl heifer a month old, out of a nice square plane sim cow with plenty of milk. She's looking good so far.

nice square calf with ideal markings. she should make a right cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭essgee268

have an ISL heifer about a month off calving. she very long hope she makes a good cow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Lm2014 is easy calved and puts a nice bit of muscle on them

I have some pic’s of this years calves on pages 210 of this thread.

He's as easy as eby now in new book, seen a good few calves after him and are nice sorts

essgee268 wrote: »
    have an ISL heifer about a month off calving. she very long hope she makes a good cow

Let me know how she goes for milk when she calves down. This one should have milk as her mother has loads. I like isl he's easy calved.

simx wrote: »
    He's as easy as eby now in new book, seen a good few calves after him and are nice sorts

Ya I've only had 5 by him and they were all very small and easy calved but developed very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭essgee268

Let me know how she goes for milk when she calves down. This one should have milk as her mother has loads. I like isl he's easy calved.

SO.SO bag at moment bit she nice big loose heifer

Anyone used the CH Bivouac, he looks like a good easy calving bull or the Lim Mullary Intrepid, looks like a super terminal bull, calving difficulty only 5.3 also.

Anyone used the CH Bivouac, he looks like a good easy calving bull or the Lim Mullary Intrepid, looks like a super terminal bull, calving difficulty only 5.3 also.

everything i seen of mullary intrepid looked well, but all pedigrees so not a true reflection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Have heard he’s delivering the goods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Had a mullary heifer here. Found her very hard to put flesh on her. She was Pb though.

Have heard he’s delivering the goods

Which one?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Ya I've only had 5 by him and they were all very small and easy calved but developed very well.

He's a lovely looking bull. I have 2 heifers incalf to him. A milbrook dartangan heifer and a queens head altea heifer. Hopefully he's as easy calved as they say

RobinBanks wrote: »
    He's a lovely looking bull. I have 2 heifers incalf to him. A milbrook dartangan heifer and a queens head altea heifer. Hopefully he's as easy calved as they say

They will make a nice cross. Iv a real nice bull about a month old by isl out of a highlander second calver. I'll take a picture of him tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Which one?

Sorry Bivouac

RobinBanks wrote: »

This is the bull. Not the best pictures of him. He is starting to show good muscle on top and is nice and quiet too.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

Has anyone Simental Cows by Dovea Bull Cloondroon Calling (QCD) and if so what is your experience with them.
    I am interested in information about calves out of QCD and Black Lim cows and AAx cows.
    The ICBF details show that the bull is not very tall. I don't particularly want cows to be loo large and heavy because of the type of land I have.
    Presumably the calves would be black? (I would prefer them not to be black as I would ultimately serve any heifers to Ai CH Bulls and would like to avoid having "mousy" coloured calves).

Had a few QCD calves a few years ago, mostly bulls, they were big enough.Have a nice heifer off him calving to highfield Odran in April hopefully. She's a red whitehead off a black limx bwh cow. Had some calves off Lisnacrann Sunnyboy last year, hes a super bull but his straws are €50 now unfortunately.
    Gave XCD a go instead for this spring.

• Advertisement

I didn't use qcd yet myself but my ai lad said you'd want a bit of muscle on the cow as he is a bit plain. I saw a few qcd heifers going trough a simmental society sale a year ago and they were cracking heifers. Granted they were nearly full simmentals.

Advertisement