Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

Have 2012 a 96% CH cow, her mother was was a CH cow too, her father was PTE. Shes a tall strong cow. She had twins last year form QCD. Calved on her own. No issues.
    What i am wondering is, has anyone any experience of calving CSQ on Strong CH Cows? I see his calving difficulty is up at 13.4% .... seems a bit high for my liking. I dont want to cause unessary trouble for myself. I usually don't go above 10%. Should i go for FSZ OR LZF instead? Hoping for a bull weanling obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Have 2012 a 96% CH cow, her mother was was a CH cow too, her father was PTE. Shes a tall strong cow. She had twins last year form QCD. Calved on her own. No issues.
    What i am wondering is, has anyone any experience of calving CSQ on Strong CH Cows? I see his calving difficulty is up at 13.4% .... seems a bit high for my liking. I dont want to cause unessary trouble for myself. I usually don't go above 10%. Should i go for FSZ OR LZF instead? Hoping for a bull weanling obviously!

I've used him on a strong CH cow, had a very big Crossmolina Jupiter heifer last year too. TBH I wouldn't put it on her again as the calf came very big, only for I know she's a good calver I'd not have chanced it.
    Have C-Ju[piter on her again this year and it's either a giant bull or twins:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Csq brings them big but a mature charolais cow will calve him by herself.

I've used him on a strong CH cow, had a very big Crossmolina Jupiter heifer last year too. TBH I wouldn't put it on her again as the calf came very big, only for I know she's a good calver I'd not have chanced it.
    Have C-Ju[piter on her again this year and it's either a giant bull or twins:pac:

Jupiter is only around 8% in the latest evaluations.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

Csq brings them big but a mature charolais cow will calve him by herself.

Whats your opinion on FSZ OR LZF?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Haven't used either so afriad I'm not much use with them. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Both handy enough calved. Extra shape in fsz. But can get caught for height when they come very muscular. He can breed superb stock of the right cow.
    Lzf easier calved no where near as facy as fsz better on frame and height. If your selling as weanlings then it would be hard to look past fsz TBH.
    What type of cow are we talking about?

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Both handy enough calved. Extra shape in fsz. But can get caught for height when they come very muscular. He can breed superb stock of the right cow.
    Lzf easier calved no where near as facy as fsz better on frame and height. If your selling as weanlings then it would be hard to look past tax TBH.
    What type of cow are we talking about?

Tax?

If the cow is out of pirate she probably wont be too big so lzf would probably be better. Id use csq tbh. Nothing ventured nothing gained as they say

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

If the cow is out of pirate she probably wont be too big so lzf would probably be better. Id use csq tbh. Nothing ventured nothing gained as they say

Only had one pirate cow here off a bwh cow, she calved first at 26 months, sold her last year when she was10 yrs old, she weighed 810 kilos then and was a lot bigger than her mother.
    Fiston is a super bull and very easy calved, works best on bigger cows. I find they really take off when theyre a year old.
    CSQ ia 13.4% CD, chances of a hard calving, a section or a dead calf are too high with him i think.
    Sold this April 16 Fiston x Ion heifer recently 585 kgs €1385, she got no feeding and was as big as her mother at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Tax?

Fixed it. Dame predictive text. Good name for a bull though. "The Taxman"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

tanko wrote: »
    Only had one pirate cow here off a bwh cow, she calved first at 26 months, sold her last year when she was10 yrs old, she weighed 810 kilos then and was a lot bigger than her mother.
    Fiston is a super bull and very easy calved, works best on bigger cows. I find they really take off when theyre a year old.
    CSQ ia 13.4% CD, chances of a hard calving, a section or a dead calf are too high with him i think.
    Sold this April 16 Fiston x Ion heifer recently 585 kgs €1385, she got no feeding and was as big as her mother at that stage.

Heard good things about ch2304 and 6.5% cd

Ya hes easy calving. This lad slipped out .439742.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

simx wrote: »
    Heard good things about ch2304 and 6.5% cd

Doesn’t rate well for height on ICBF, what’s he like in reality

Doesn’t rate well for height on ICBF, what’s he like in reality

Have no personal experience of him tbh but have heard a few lads talking about him and have used him, I'm an ai man so that's my connection with most of these beef bulls, have seen a good bit of progeny, as regards ch I have given ch2218,bivouac to a nice share of cows

Have no personal experience of him tbh but have heard a few lads talking about him and have used him, I'm an ai man so that's my connection with most of these beef bulls, have seen a good bit of progeny, as regards ch I have given ch2218,bivouac to a nice share of cows

Any ch2305 doon just the job

Any ch2305 doon just the job

Not as much tbh 17% cd probably off putting, probably use more lm than ch in my area overall

What do you think of Bivouac?

Is there any simmental bulls with sexed semen?

What do you think of Bivouac?

Nice progeny after him seen a few examples, one pedigree breeder near me uses him on heifers and some 1st Calvers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Nice progeny after him seen a few examples, one pedigree breeder near me uses him on heifers and some 1st Calvers

He’s by Pinay, should be easy calving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭adne

Anyone used the CH Bivouac, he looks like a good easy calving bull or the Lim Mullary Intrepid, looks like a super terminal bull, calving difficulty only 5.3 also.

Hi Tanko. You had a lot of pics of great fzf favori stock up on an earlier thread. Just wondering g did u keep any of the heifers for breeding and how'd they fair out for calving. Milk etc.
    I've 10 fzf straws thinking of putting on my best cows and hope to bred a few replacements

adne wrote: »
    Hi Tanko. You had a lot of pics of great fzf favori stock up on an earlier thread. Just wondering g did u keep any of the heifers for breeding and how'd they fair out for calving. Milk etc.
    I've 10 fzf straws thinking of putting on my best cows and hope to bred a few replacements

I kept three of them and they calved last spring to Highfield odran, two had heifers and one had twins, bull plus heifer. The heifers were poor for milk and it showed in the calves but there wasnt much grass here last year. Two of them are in calf to XCD and the other to Fifty cent so hoping theyll do better this year.
    FZF breeds big framed, long heifers with very square ends, he should breed cows that have good calving ability. I wouldnt put him on bigger cows or youll end up with giraffes. Docility isnt too bad with him.
    The bulls off him were very good calves, i see on icbf that they killed out at very good grades and big weights but poor fat scores, lot of 2+'s and 3-'s. They wouldnt be easy finished cattle.
    I'd use him on medium sized, well muscled milky cows but he's not exactly easy calving either.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

I have had calves out of both. They were nothing exceptional.
    Cows calved themselves.

Kept heifer calf out of LZF for breeding. Served her to a AA easy calving bull.
    Had to send for Vet in the middle of the night. Calve had to come out the side.
    Vet said pelvic area too small and warned me not to serve her again.
    She had plenty of milk.

Has anyone any experience with CH4159 (Knockmoyle10 Loki ET)

He has Pirate, Doonally New CF52 & Jupiter in his pedigree

Has anyone any experience with CH4159 (Knockmoyle10 Loki ET)

He has Pirate, Doonally New CF52 & Jupiter in his pedigree

Used him on a 2nd calve. Should be easy calving by pirate but he is unproven with his calves only being born around now

Used him on a 2nd calve. Should be easy calving by pirate but he is unproven with his calves only being born around now

I had calves by CF52 some years ago. Was well pleased with them/

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Seanhorse91

Anyone here use the lim bull in Bova, EXCEL lm4027. By all accounts he has some great calves on the ground. Looking to put him in a good muscley pb heifer in April. Any feedback would be great 👍

I kept three of them and they calved last spring to Highfield odran, two had heifers and one had twins, bull plus heifer. The heifers were poor for milk and it showed in the calves but there wasnt much grass here last year. Two of them are in calf to XCD and the other to Fifty cent so hoping theyll do better this year.
    FZF breeds big framed, long heifers with very square ends, he should breed cows that have good calving ability. I wouldnt put him on bigger cows or youll end up with giraffes. Docility isnt too bad with him.
    The bulls off him were very good calves, i see on icbf that they killed out at very good grades and big weights but poor fat scores, lot of 2+'s and 3-'s. They wouldnt be easy finished cattle.
    I'd use him on medium sized, well muscled milky cows but he's not exactly easy calving either.

Thanks good information there. I've 2 cows getting on in years with blue blood that are a bit on the low side. He could be ideal for them

• Advertisement

Anyone here use the lim bull in Bova, EXCEL lm4027. By all accounts he has some great calves on the ground. Looking to put him in a good muscley pb heifer in April. Any feedback would be great 👍
    He looks good. Going to use on aaxsh 2nd calvers

Advertisement