Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

This is a LM2014 heifer calf out of a 1st calver 2yr old Altea heifer. Very small and easy calved, she fired her out without any help so i think i will use this bull again on more heifers this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

RobinBanks wrote: »
    This is a LM2014 heifer calf out of a 1st calver 2yr old Altea heifer. Very small and easy calved, she fired her out without any help so i think i will use this bull again on more heifers this year.

Nice Stock. Have him in a few cows this year. They should be calving next month. Not expecting any difficulty in calving fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭adne

Fzf - mereside favori - spat him out. Up and sucked in 30 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Very nice, is that your first calf off him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭adne

tanko wrote: »
    Very nice, is that your first calf off him?

Ya first one. Have him on 8 cows. As you said he prob best on stock bb type cows. This one off a ch/Im cow so could be a big framy

• Advertisement

My first ZAG calf. Won't cross him on any blue cows again!! Ah no, this lady brought 3 weeks so he's bigger than normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

ZAG isn't the out and out easy calver that he has been portrayed to be. He's no FL22 or REQ in my opinion

ZAG isn't the out and out easy calver that he has been portrayed to be. He's no FL22 or REQ in my opinion

Dead right he isnt, ive used him a good bit on young cows and i wouldnt put him on any heifer. They can come big and shapey enough.
    Ive started using easy calving Salers on the heifers here and find them a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Dead right he isnt, ive used him a good bit on young cows and i wouldnt put him on any heifer. They can come big and shapey enough.
    Ive started using easy calving Salers on the heifers here and find them a great job.

Ever assisted a saler yet?

Only used RIO, Highfield Odran and Valliant so far. Out of about fifteen heifers ive only had to help one RIO bull calf out, small pull with ropes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭golodge

Anyone has experience with lim bulls Nenuphar and Ryde Uranos? Like calving, milk, growth. Used one bull with these two in his pedigree on two limox heifers and one limox 1st calver. The bull himself has 45kgs birthweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

Only used RIO, Highfield Odran and Valliant so far. Out of about fifteen heifers ive only had to help one RIO bull calf out, small pull with ropes.

Do you keep Saler heifers for breeding?
    They have a bad name for being wild, so I would like to know what your experience of them is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭High bike

They have a bad name for being wild, so I would like to know what your experience of them is.
    Have a couple of Saler x heifers that I’m going to bull this year and they’r no wilder than anything else ;if they’r reared ok and get plenty handling I’d say you won’t have a problem

The main reason i started using them was for their calving ease, just dont want any hassle when the heifers are calving.
    Its true they have a bad name docility wise but i find them ok, theyre similar to the lims i already have around the place.
    Have one RIO heifer in calf to Odran here, sold some bullocks off RIO last August, they averaged 430kgs and made €1090, were long shapey animals. Docility is grand once you dont put them on lively heifers which shouldnt be put in calf anyway i suppose.
    A neighbour of mine has mostly Saler cows and theyre all pretty quiet, he crosses them with a CH bull giving golden yellow calves with great hair that sell very well. Theyre well able to calve also.

golodge wrote: »
    Anyone has experience with lim bulls Nenuphar and Ryde Uranos? Like calving, milk, growth. Used one bull with these two in his pedigree on two limox heifers and one limox 1st calver. The bull himself has 45kgs birthweight.

Never used them, you can look up the figures for a bull on ICBF.com. Neither look great for milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

I always used AA on heifers but I used Ulsan for the first time on heifers last year and all calved in minutes. So far the calves are grand. No wilder than lims anyway.

When they grow up and calf themselves it might be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

croot wrote: »
    I always used AA on heifers but I used Ulsan for the first time on heifers last year and all calved in minutes. So far the calves are grand. No wilder than lims anyway.

What about HIGHFIELD ODRAN ? 5 stars for docility. 2.5% calving and proven.
    https://webapp.icbf.com/bull-search/view/1138422131

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

croot wrote: »

Read in the latest PG book that he doesn't have straws around right now. Will have more in April or May I think

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

AI man didn’t have him.

A very under rated bull in my opinion. Bolide heifer out of a Malibu cow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Who2

ive a similar heifer calving down to bolide at the back end hopefully.

has anyone used tombapik? and whats your thoughts on him?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Who2 wrote: »
    has anyone used tombapik? and whats your thoughts on him?

Used him twice cow didnt keep....very expensive repeats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Who2 wrote: »

ive a similar heifer calving down to bolide at the back end hopefully.

That's the PT bull isn't it? I went for him after a bit of discussion then checked him out. Seems ok if you get a bull calf but I was thinking of a replacement from this heifer. Checked him out afterwards. Pretty disappointed with the docility scores for a start

The docility figures for bulls on ICBF arent very accurate in many cases from what ive seen.

Read in the latest PG book that he doesn't have straws around right now. Will have more in April or May I think

PG have a new Saler bull called Spiddal Pat, nice looking bull which should be easy calved. Could be an alternative to Highfield Odran.

The docility figures for bulls on ICBF arent very accurate in many cases from what ive seen.

I have 2 partanise cows and both are excitable, bullying little nucks but excellent mothers too. The heifer held anyhow so we'll see what comes of it. Any bull calf didn't have the growth potential of the lim/char

has anyone any maine anjou cattle? i know robin banks had a couple a few years back and i seen a lad selling a bull back a while on donedeal but they are a breed i have yet to see more than a handful of. i was talking to someone one day that said theres a lad in cavan breeding them, would anyone have any idea who he is? they are an interesting looking breed and i wouldnt mind trying a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Bought a cow in October but he calved on Stephens day with a dead calf

She didn't have much milk which surprised me

• Advertisement

Where would you even get a straw?

Advertisement