Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

Anyone have any CH4159 calves yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Who2 wrote: »
    has anyone used tombapik? and whats your thoughts on him?

SEen a couple pb bull calves 2 months old or so and look good anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Where would you even get a straw?
    Of?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Of?

Maine anjou bull who2 was on about

simx wrote: »
    SEen a couple pb bull calves 2 months old or so and look good anyway

Typical that theyd be bulls:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Typical that theyd be bulls:rolleyes:
    With his ratings would you want a heifer?

With his ratings would you want a heifer?

Ya. Best maternal ch bull.

Ya. Best maternal ch bull.

He’s got a great pedigree (my opinion),
    but -8.4 for milk & +2.43 for daughter calving interval, would liked of Tombapiknot be better maternal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Who2

Maine anjou bull who2 was on about

Seen a clearance sale in Armagh on donedeal and I just liked what I saw, regret not going to it. On paper to me they seem like an ideal cow, but the reality may be different

Seen a clearance sale in Armagh on donedeal and I just liked what I saw, regret not going to it. On paper to me they seem like an ideal cow, but the reality may be different
    I though I came across 1 in an AI book, but can’t seam to find. Closest is PG book mentions Breed in other bulls available, could be worth giving them a call

• Advertisement

I though I came across 1 in an AI book, but can’t seam to find. Closest is PG book mentions Breed in other bulls available, could be worth giving them a call

There was a bull Hugo in progressive I think a few years back that I couldn’t make out, but he was the closest to Maine Anjou I could find. Kales herdhad a few for sale as well if I remember right.

He’s got a great pedigree (my opinion),
    but -8.4 for milk & +2.43 for daughter calving interval, would liked of Tombapiknot be better maternal?

+12 for milk,4% for daughter calving difficulty,.75 for daughte calving interval €163 replacwment value......only downside is hes like €60 a straw
    Maybr yourlooking at different evaluation...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Hes talking about Knockmoyle Loki.
    Ye are talking about two different bulls.

tanko wrote: »
    Hes talking about Knockmoyle Loki.
    Ye are talking about two different bulls.

Ohhh..explains that so ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

There was a bull Hugo in progressive I think a few years back that I couldn’t make out, but he was the closest to Maine Anjou I could find. Kales herdhad a few for sale as well if I remember right.

Hugo was dovea. They had ardbrite a few years ago.

PG used to have a few straws of Tango knocking about

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Seem very similar to the beef shorthorn. Anybody ever try one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

has anyone any maine anjou cattle? i know robin banks had a couple a few years back and i seen a lad selling a bull back a while on donedeal but they are a breed i have yet to see more than a handful of. i was talking to someone one day that said theres a lad in cavan breeding them, would anyone have any idea who he is? they are an interesting looking breed and i wouldnt mind trying a few.

Just seen this if anyone is interested. They look like an interesting breed. Are they good with milk?

https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/maj-cows/18174652

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

My God if they’re as good as the ad claims they’re some cattle. I’m dubious about why yer man is going out of them

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭annubis

squinn2912 wrote: »
    My God if they’re as good as the ad claims they’re some cattle. I’m dubious about why yer man is going out of them
    same chap on rare breed, he has more cattle than the rest of us put together :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Oh Ya, the Jalex herd.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Jaysus I was even up at his place last year and totally forgot about seeing them. Looked nice strong cattle. I often used to see a few of them around Mayo in the mart too.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Jaysus I was even up at his place last year and totally forgot about seeing them. Looked nice strong cattle. I often used to see a few of them around Mayo in the mart too.

In ballina? That's where I bought mine

RobinBanks wrote: »

Yes indeedy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Jalex open day on Saturday i think

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

RobinBanks wrote: »

Ballina? Is the Jalex herd not up in Antrim?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Ballina? Is the Jalex herd not up in Antrim?

It is, I seen the Jalex ones last year but was just saying I often used to see a few with MA breeding going through the mart in ballina. Would be cheap too as no-one really knew what breed they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

It is, I seen the Jalex ones last year but was just saying I often used to see a few with MA breeding going through the mart in ballina. Would be cheap too as no-one really knew what breed they were.

Have they Huge hips like a saler?

Just seen this if anyone is interested. They look like an interesting breed. Are they good with milk?

https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/maj-cows/18174652

Grand cows with lots of bone,don't seem to be milky but its hard to see from the angle and they have only had one calf i suppose

Have they Huge hips like a saler?

I can't really remember tbh, I remember thinking they looked a lot like a beef montie if you get me. There was one fella in Ballina that always bought a heifer if she was a Maine Anjou, he'd bull them & sell them on, claimed they made great cows.

• Advertisement

I’m going up to see them if I can rearrange things a bit.Prices are reasonable with him on these. He’s getting out of cows altogether and concentrating on heifers.

Advertisement