Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Who2 wrote: »
    I’m going up to see them if I can rearrange things a bit.Prices are reasonable with him on these. He’s getting out of cows altogether and concentrating on heifers.

What's reasonable? Ballpark

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Has anyone used the Bova lim bulls Laurel (Lm4185) or Loyal (Lm4184)??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Anyone got much experience of solpoll Kentucky HE bull? Lovely heifer calf born today

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭annubis

tanko wrote: »
    Has anyone used the Bova lim bulls Laurel (Lm4185) or Loyal (Lm4184)??
    not yet but have him in the tank with panda cow in mind, laurel that is

annubis wrote: »
    not yet but have him in the tank with panda cow in mind, laurel that is

They both look good, it'll be interesting to see how they do.
    Have you tried Excel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

Has any got experience or Can recommend CH or BB bulls with Dovea that are producing good stock for the weanling market and have a reasonable calving difficulty?

Getting good results from LM on mainly sim and lm cows but just fancied a change. Maybe I’m mad, if it’s not broke don’t fix it and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Has any got experience or Can recommend CH or BB bulls with Dovea that are producing good stock for the weanling market and have a reasonable calving difficulty?

Getting good results from LM on mainly sim and lm cows but just fancied a change. Maybe I’m mad, if it’s not broke don’t fix it and all that

Whats the limit for calving difficulty.
    Have used ch2304,ch4159,OHB,Dfd,ch2305 this year. Only one really hard calving is ch2305

Whats the limit for calving difficulty.
    Have used ch2304,ch4159,OHB,Dfd,ch2305 this year. Only one really hard calving is ch2305

I’d say about 12 or 13% depending on the individual cow would be as high as I would go. Ch2305 would be to hard calving as I work off farm.

I have one incalf to DFD due this week but I don’t see him in this years book. Have you used the bulls mentioned with good results?

Ch2218 figures look good 5 star on both replacement and terminal with 4% calving diff anyone with calves on the ground?

. Have you used the bulls mentioned with good results?

Theyre just what ive used this year, with ch2304 on most 2nd calvers.only used ch2304. Havent touched the other bulls. Dont ever use the same bulls year in year out;always trying for something better even though it can lead you backwards (most notably crossmolina jupiter who hasnt produced at all)

Theyre just what ive used this year, with ch2304 on most 2nd calvers.only used ch2304. Havent touched the other bulls. Dont ever use the same bulls year in year out;always trying for something better even though it can lead you backwards (most notably crossmolina jupiter who hasnt produced at all)

It’s good to mix it up a bit. Ch2304 look like a decent bull might try a mix of him, and ch2218 and throw in a BB or two as well.

• Advertisement

Be interesting to see if you’re still going that way next year. We always try to Ai a handful of the more able girls with a ch or blue but for all of it I think our own lim bull does as good a job

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

How did you find jupiter calves ?

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    How did you find jupiter calves ?

Plain . they might turn out to be grand but not as weanlings

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Plain . they might turn out to be grand but not as weanlings

I've had the opposite with him, super calves! Still have one left to calve to him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

I’d say about 12 or 13% depending on the individual cow would be as high as I would go. Ch2305 would be to hard calving as I work off farm.

I have one incalf to DFD due this week but I don’t see him in this years book. Have you used the bulls mentioned with good results?

Ch2218 figures look good 5 star on both replacement and terminal with 4% calving diff anyone with calves on the ground?

Dfd is nearly gone I think, few straws left but last year of him and he was a grand or for calving, had 10/12 to him this year no bother

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Be interesting to see if you’re still going that way next year. We always try to Ai a handful of the more able girls with a ch or blue but for all of it I think our own lim bull does as good a job

That it will. I like the lm as they get up and go almost immediately. A few slow starting ch might change my mind. I’ve had good results with lm’s with bulls averaging €950 at 8 months off grass and milk, no meal and heifers averaging €1100 at 12 months getting 2kg of meal per head over the winter. Most people say the only show in town is ch. so just thought I’d give them ago for a change to see can I improve on my results. But I do like a bit of muscle hence wanting to try a few blues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

What was CF12 shamrock Ambassadeur like.’see good stars but linear doesn’t look great

That it will. I like the lm as they get up and go almost immediately. A few slow starting ch might change my mind. I’ve had good results with lm’s with bulls averaging €950 at 8 months off grass and milk, no meal and heifers averaging €1100 at 12 months getting 2kg of meal per head over the winter. Most people say the only show in town is ch. so just thought I’d give them ago for a change to see can I improve on my results. But I do like a bit of muscle hence wanting to try a few blues.

The lims were doing you no harm. Ch are away ahead but I think I’d still go for easy calving ones. Willy treacy talks about having them coming out like rats but then the ch growth. Good cattle don’t have to be hard calved

The lims were doing you no harm. Ch are away ahead but I think I’d still go for easy calving ones. Willy treacy talks about having them coming out like rats but then the ch growth. Good cattle don’t have to be hard calved

I’ll def be trying to stay on the easy side of calving as I’m not about during the day. I may well end up with similar results that I was getting with the lim but they say an average ch will always sell better than an average lim.

Had a nice BB calf last night off an AA cow. Nice size calf off DFD. Calves away no problem and up sucking fairly quick too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Looking at the bull terminal list and no cf52 sons in the top 100. Euro is in the 30s and is out of a 52 cow. Is his sons not touching him for terminal traits? What would be a good equivalent now?

• Advertisement

Looking at the bull terminal list and no cf52 sons in the top 100. Euro is in the 30s and is out of a 52 cow. Is his sons not touching him for terminal traits? What would be a good equivalent now?

A lot of 52 in cows means hes not used in them and the fact that hes rare. I always like a bull with domino in him but they dont seem to last. Hzj,cxy,tza didnt last that long but bred great stuff. Terminal index is a load of bollox unless your finishing imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Thinking of getting into a handful of ped ch. not hugely well up on ch breeding but I think I'd like to start off with a few 52 embryos as a foundation.

Thinking of getting into a handful of ped ch. not hugely well up on ch breeding but I think I'd like to start off with a few 52 embryos as a foundation.

Have height in the cow is main thing. Cow we have is butty enough and tall charolais bulls are few and far between. Dont think 52 bred tall stock. Youll pay through the nose for them too and daughters wouldnt be that milky as cows out of him

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

Have any of you had experience of Dovea A.I. Charolais Bulls :

Bivouac (CH2218) - C.D. 4.10% ICBF Dec.2017
    Tombapik (CH4202) - C.D. 7.00%

If so I would appreciate knowing the quality of the calves each usually throws. Thanks.

Never used either but i think Tombapik straws are very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Who2

If so I would appreciate knowing the quality of the calves each usually throws. Thanks.

Tombapik is hard enough got and is being aimed at pedigree breeding currently I’m told. Was trying to get a few straws for commercials earlier in the year.

tanko wrote: »
    Never used either but i think Tombapik straws are very expensive.

60 a straw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Heard Bivouac is leaving good calves

• Registered Users Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

The cycle starts again. First cow served this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

33 bred today following coils 5 hummer 10 fiston (Thought there were more in the tank) and 18 to bivouac (I had bought Jasper but when we went to the tank they were bivouac.) Ah madness loves company:D

Advertisement