Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

grassroot1 wrote: »
    33 bred today following coils 5 hummer 10 fiston (Thought there were more in the tank) and 18 to bivouac (I had bought Jasper but when we went to the tank they were bivouac.) Ah madness loves company:D

Jesus that will be a busy fortnight calving all them! Will you be AIing the repeats? Would be alot for a bull to handle if 20-40% repeat in 2-3 day window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Jesus that will be a busy fortnight calving all them! Will you be AIing the repeats? Would be alot for a bull to handle if 20-40% repeat in 2-3 day window.

Yes I will AI for 2 rounds teaser out tomorrow, if I can hire a bull or buy a mature bull I will only AI for 1 more round.If I have 40% repeats or less I will be very happy
    Protocol was Prid for 8 days Estrumate on day 7 Prid out am day 8 Receptal on AI day in the am.If there are Cows bulling tomorrow am I will serve those again just in case. I dont have a cost yet. Housing for soft calves will be the hardest part should have enough calving boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Yes I will AI for 2 rounds teaser out tomorrow, if I can hire a bull or buy a mature bull I will only AI for 1 more round.If I have 40% repeats or less I will be very happy
    Protocol was Prid for 8 days Estrumate on day 7 Prid out am day 8 Receptal on AI day in the am.If there are Cows bulling tomorrow am I will serve those again just in case. I dont have a cost yet. Housing for soft calves will be the hardest part should have enough calving boxes

Who s hummer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Mod edit. Spam removed. GC
    Amen

You'll have some crop of calves between fiston and bivouac. Both really good terminal bulls with easy calving. Is fiston the next big bull when he goes we'll all be talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Amen

Eamonn.

You'll have some crop of calves between fiston and bivouac. Both really good terminal bulls with easy calving. Is fiston the next big bull when he goes we'll all be talking about?

Yeah, I think Fiston is a super bull given how easy calved he is. He’ll be missed when he’s gone. I wonder what his son Firoda Jason is like?

tanko wrote: »
    Yeah, I think Fiston is a super bull given how easy calved he is. He’ll be missed when he’s gone. I wonder what his son Firoda Jason is like?

Friend of mine breed Jason. I've seen a few of his calves and they are impressive. He was bought as a sort of insurance if anything was to happen to fiston.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

2691 progeny registered to Fiston in the Charolais Herdbook, so plenty of backups.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Hummer is mo2281 sexed montbelliard tought he might bring in milk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

2691 progeny registered to Fiston in the Charolais Herdbook, so plenty of backups.

It will be good to see if Fiston daughters turn out maternal as the stars are predicting

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

It will be good to see if Fiston daughters turn out maternal as the stars are predicting

Anyone have any daughters calved ??

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    Anyone have any daughters calved ??

I had a few of them here and sold them, wouldnt think they’d make good cows.

ICBF have fiston well proven at this stage. 5 stars for replacement. His functionality is down at 3% though. That doesnt look good.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

ICBF have fiston well proven at this stage. 5 stars for replacement. His functionality is down at 3% though. That doesnt look good.
    His daughters seem fertile enough and their calving difficulty is a bit above average for Charolais but Milk is poor...wouldn't be keeping his daughters as replacements unless they were more maternal in their back breeding. Fiston daughter off a Salers cow would be nice I'd say

Good program. Should do well for you. Great to have calves in batches for jobs like dehorning, tagging etc. Not cheap but cheaper than calving running on for months and months.

Its the management end of it I like. If youre pushed during an intense calving period its not as bad as being wore out slowly over a longer spell.
    The chance to use AI over a larger section of the herd,proven bulls etc
    Cutting down on the number of times we have to get the cows also helps

Is Blelack Digger dead or why has all the talk of him dried up in the last year or two? Super ratings on that bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

Is Blelack Digger dead or why has all the talk of him dried up in the last year or two? Super ratings on that bull.

I was looking to get straws by him earlier this year but was told by ai company they were all gone.

dodo mommy wrote: »
    I was looking to get straws by him earlier this year but was told by ai company they were all gone.

Pity as he is so highly rated. He seemed to be gone so fast once popular. You'd think they would have taken thousands of straws off of a bull like that but maybe he died quicker than they expected or was a poor semen producer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Pity as he is so highly rated. He seemed to be gone so fast once popular. You'd think they would have taken thousands of straws off of a bull like that but maybe he died quicker than they expected or was a poor semen producer?
    He was with ABS & when NCBC bought out ABD maybe they just got what was left in the pot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭High bike

Have a lady here 13 days overdue to Willodge Cerberus and not a notion of calving anyone any experience of him fo calving ease gestation temprament etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Who2

High bike wrote: »
    Have a lady here 13 days overdue to Willodge Cerberus and not a notion of calving anyone any experience of him fo calving ease gestation temprament etc.

i had a few heifers i bought off him, serious animals, but couldnt tell you what hes like to calve.

Is that 13 days from date of AI plus 292 days? Bad experience here with a Cerberus heifer. Had to get rid of her before she killed someone.

Who2 wrote: »
    i had a few heifers i bought off him, serious animals, but couldnt tell you what hes like to calve.
    Are you going to breed them

Is that 13 days from date of AI plus 292 days? Bad experience here with a Cerberus heifer. Had to get rid of her before she killed someone.
    Jaysus Patsy don’t say that I have enough mad yokes already:DWell the cow is quiet as a lamb so that might help she’s 295 days today and looking like another week I’d say

Are you going to breed them

was, ended up selling on one and lost the other to tb, she was without question the classiest animal i ever had here. She had gone incalf within a week of buying her when the word came back from the factory.

Who2 wrote: »
    was, ended up selling on one and lost the other to tb, she was without question the classiest animal i ever had here. She had gone incalf within a week of buying her when the word came back from the factory.
    thats bad luck were they purebred

Jaysus Patsy don’t say that I have enough mad yokes already:DWell the cow is quiet as a lamb so that might help she’s 295 days today and looking like another week I’d say

295 is only 3 days over. Nothing to worry about. If cow is quiet, you'll be grand for docility.

• Advertisement

thats bad luck were they purebred

no, i far rather cross breds. i keep 4 or 5 pb limo alright but it wouldnt be a deciding factor if buying. ive a couple of pb sim too. all in i think theres more out of a nice showy cross bred than any pb. i find them harder kept and harder get back in calf too and you only get the big coin if you spend all your spare time washing and pricking around with them.

Advertisement