Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Who2 wrote: »
    High bike wrote: »
    thats bad luck were they purebred

no, i far rather cross breds. i keep 4 or 5 pb limo alright but it wouldnt be a deciding factor if buying. ive a couple of pb sim too. all in i think theres more out of a nice showy cross bred than any pb. i find them harder kept and harder get back in calf too and you only get the big coin if you spend all your spare time washing and pricking around with them.

Are you keeping the pbs fir commercial or as breeders? We’ve a good few that would be 7/8 or more lim but the best cows are often ones with a wee bit more white about them. One oul pet with a wee bit of shorthorn in her and we could have up on 20 daughters and granddaughters from her

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Is that 13 days from date of AI plus 292 days? Bad experience here with a Cerberus heifer. Had to get rid of her before she killed someone.

We have one Cerberus here and is quiet as lamb, gas the way breeding comes out in some lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 sf1994

Is there any Belgian Blue Lines of breeding (Besides sfl i think hes nearly gone) when crossed with red Limousines, throw a high majority of red roan calves?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

sf1994 wrote:
    Is there any Belgian Blue Lines of breeding (Besides sfl i think hes nearly gone) when crossed with red Limousines, throw a high majority of red roan calves?

Do many of ye use Belgium blue bulls in AI. Suggested using it to our ai man one day and he reckons he does very little of them. Put me off trying them, all lim,chat, sim,aa here.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

sf1994 wrote: »

In 2010 we had 3 ELZ calves. All came red and white but they were poor enough cattle. Very small

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Has anyone used the Limousin bull MOONDHARRIG KNELL (LM4217) yet?
    If so, how did ye find him?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭High bike

Was only looking at his sire tonight Patsy Bavardge slightly harder calved but great figures

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Just while we're on limos, what would ye think for this girl? Am thinking perhaps Gamin or Dromanig King. Something with more bone anyway.

AL4bZKXl.jpg

Was only looking at his sire tonight Patsy Bavardge slightly harder calved but great figures

I'd say Bavardage is gone now. I've one straw left. That's why I was aking about this guy.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Just while we're on limos, what would ye think for this girl? Am thinking perhaps Gamin or Dromanig King. Something with more bone anyway.

It can be hard pick bulls for cows. If it's a heifer, you want her to have milk and be docile. If it's a bull, you want power and muscle.
    Does she lack frame and width?

• Advertisement

It can be hard pick bulls for cows. If it's a heifer, you want her to have milk and be docile. If it's a bull, you want power and muscle.
    Does she lack frame and width?

That's her second, she has good frame and height in her breeding so don't mind a stocky sort of bull. Just lacking a bit of style in herself. She's the mother of the bull I sold earlier in the year so she's a grand breeder, just want something with a bit more 'Oh la la' :D

That's her second, she has good frame and height in her breeding so don't mind a stocky sort of bull. Just lacking a bit of style in herself. She's the mother of the bull I sold earlier in the year so she's a grand breeder, just want something with a bit more 'Oh la la' :D

Ampertaine Foreman for Oh La La as you call it. He's not the quietest and at €100 a pop, she wouldnt want to repeat. :D
    http://www.elitepedigreegenetics.com/?page_id=111

Ampertaine Foreman for Oh La La as you call it. He's not the quietest and at €100 a pop, she wouldnt want to repeat. :D
    http://www.elitepedigreegenetics.com/?page_id=111

:eek:

She wouldn't want to alright!! I've been impressed by his stock before alright. Might ask AI man about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

:eek:

She wouldn't want to alright!! I've been impressed by his stock before alright. Might ask AI man about him.

Eurogene has his so Ifor, might be a bit cheaper

Got the Ai man coming this morning. Last shot for a heifer that came back? She’s a nice square sim off a golden ch/lim cow. Won’t bull her to a lim I was thinking Kentucky

Eurogene has his so Ifor, might be a bit cheaper

No Eurogene company/rep nearly I'm afraid.
    Have a Foreman & a Cerberus got so i'll see which the AI man reckons will suit better :)

What did you put on your heifer in the end squinn?

Well I asked about Kentucky but that wasn’t suitable for a heifer (he had none) so he put in premier. Seems a good bull after a check but really if she holds at all I’ll be thrilled. She’s a nice apostle but Charolais looking heifer be a shame not to work out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Which bulls are people using this year??
    Have some Fiston, Gamin, ZAG abd SFL straws so will use them on the cows and Highfield Odran on heifers.
    Might try Frosty King and Derreen Declan for replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

What are the intentions with those SFL straws seeing as he's gone now? Supposed to be the the best maternal blue out there

Have those SFL straws a few years now but have only used one so far, a bull born this year.
    I doubt if i’d keep blue crosses for cows. A friend of mine has a few and they seem to have a habit of throwing big calves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Who2

tanko wrote: »
    Have those SFL straws a few years now but have only used one so far, a bull born this year.
    I doubt if i’d keep blue crosses for cows. A friend of mine has a few and they seem to have a habit of throwing big calves.

I’ve a couple of Sfl cows. Nice quiet animals that throw super calves but the cows wouldn’t be massive. I’ll buy them straws of you if you’ll sell?

Which bulls are people using this year??
    Have some Fiston, Gamin, ZAG abd SFL straws so will use them on the cows and Highfield Odran on heifers.
    Might try Frosty King and Derreen Declan for replacements.
    Had a lovely little heifer off Highfield Odran this year and wouldn't mind a few more but he seems to be gone off the Munster Catalogue?

Had a lovely little heifer off Highfield Odran this year and wouldn't mind a few more but he seems to be gone off the Munster Catalogue?

He might be gone, i’ll try Spiddal Pat if he is.

He might be gone, i’ll try Spiddal Pat if he is.
    i'll check with my ai man tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

No Eurogene company/rep nearly I'm afraid.
    Have a Foreman & a Cerberus got so i'll see which the AI man reckons will suit better :)

What did you put on your heifer in the end squinn?

Sure the man in the mart might help you

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭sonnybill

My best calves this year are an LZF Cavesland Fenian but I used Cavesland Levi too this year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

This is them

For the few purebreds limousins I have;
    Glorieux (XGL) - hoping to add size and improve docility to a cow lacking them
    Bavardage (AGB) - adding size, figures and milk to a sympa cow
    Commander (APM) - for cow lacking muscle and width

Hoping to get some Gamin (ZGM) and Lodge Hamlet (LM4058) straws too. Seen a lot of nice stock of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

I have used Ulsan (SA2189) on heifers, Curaheen Earp (SI2152) and ZAG on 2nd calvers and LZF, Fiston and Hurricane Gonzo on mature cows so far. Dont think I'll stray to far from those for the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Have you used gonzo before? I've gotten some great calves from him.

Advertisement