Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Very happy with him. I’ve had a few of them. Easy calved and good quality calves. I’ve kept a few heifers by him to bull this year.

Have you used QCD, he breeds a nice heifer.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Any one with any cows by KJB? I have a weanling heifer here off a simmental cow. Nice R grade

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    Any one with any cows by KJB? I have a weanling heifer here off a simmental cow. Nice R grade

Tanko has a few. Have one here myself, stayed small but had a nice lm bull last year and while not overly milky, she had enough to feed him well. Crossmolina Jupiter on her this year & time up in a few days.

Bigbird1 wrote: »

Yeah, i have two of them, calved them at two years old last year, they were a bit small to do that i suppose but they calved again recently, smallish but nice quality, pretty quiet with average milk. I put up pics of the two of them on the photo thread in the last week.
    Your heifer off a Sim should make a nice cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

Evening all options saught after here I have a u grade lmx heifer in heat and was going to give her THZ in the morning have any of ye ever used him what's he like to calve?

• Advertisement

dodo mommy wrote: »
    Evening all options saught after here I have a u grade lmx heifer in heat and was going to give her THZ in the morning have any of ye ever used him what's he like to calve?

I've used him the last 3/4 years on heifers and never had an issue but I'm using him on pure limo cattle. Dunno how he is with any other cross in there.
    If the heifer has milk they make great animals, shapely back ends.

I've used him the last 3/4 years on heifers and never had an issue but I'm using him on pure limo cattle. Dunno how he is with any other cross in there.
    If the heifer has milk they make great animals, shapely back ends.
    I wounder why is he so low on the replacement index.

I wounder why is he so low on the replacement index.

Poor figures for docility, daughters milk and daughters fertility are the cause, whether he deserves those figures i dont know.

tanko wrote: »
    Poor figures for docility, daughters milk and daughters fertility are the cause, whether he deserves those figures i dont know.

I kept one daughter off him, calved a teeny little saler who's doing well now. Has a nice drop of milk & docility in buckets. Went incalf first go last year too. But one cow doesn't rate a bull :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

You going to the Mullaghboy limousin sale? On today I think.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

You going to the Mullaghboy limousin sale? On today I think.

I am indeed, you're hardly travelling up for it?

I am indeed, you're hardly travelling up for it?

No, I'm mad but not that mad. Herd test today anyway.
    I looked through the catalogue last night. Some nice breeding there. Like the look of lots 3 & 4.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

No, I'm mad but not that mad. Herd test today anyway.
    I looked through the catalogue last night. Some nice breeding there. Like the look of lots 3 & 4.

I'll get some photos for you if you like. Send on the chequebook and i can get more than photos :D

I'll get some photos for you if you like. Send on the chequebook and i can get more than photos :D

Report back anyway. Good to get an honest report back rather than the usual 'all is good' stuff from the society.

Catalogue here, for anyone that's interested.

Mullaghboy Limousins reduction sale – 28-05-18 – Carrigallen Mart
    https://www.irishlimousin.com/event/mullaghboy-limousins-reduction-sale-28-05-18-carrigallen-mart/

Report back anyway. Good to get an honest report back rather than the usual 'all is good' stuff from the society.

Catalogue here, for anyone that's interested.

Mullaghboy Limousins reduction sale – 28-05-18 – Carrigallen Mart
    https://www.irishlimousin.com/event/mullaghboy-limousins-reduction-sale-28-05-18-carrigallen-mart/

Thanks for that, will download it to my phone so will be handy later! I won't be there for the whole sale but will try to get prices and photos 😊

About to start now.

Average enough stock TBH. I liked one dark red heifer in the commercial side, 490kg, 1350.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭TwoOldBoots

In fairness I'd say there is a fair few of them below average. One of them in pic 2 has two bad front legs knocking against each other. While the stock in pic 1 look skinny with hocked legs also.
    The standard of Limosines out there is far higher, I wonder is it a sale to get rid of the trash?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I'd be happy to have any of the ones in third picture tbh as commercials. Had they stars

In fairness I'd say there is a fair few of them below average. One of them in pic 2 has two bad front legs knocking against each other. While the stock in pic 1 look skinny with hocked legs also.
    The standard of Limosines out there is far higher, I wonder is it a sale to get rid of the trash?

Think that was lot 8. Could be to get rid of the trash alright, or else he wintered them in hopes of better prices this year.
    I'd be happy to have any of the ones in third picture tbh as commercials. Had they stars

Some of them had, i liked Lot 3 out of them all, 1 was powerful alright but just looked a bit weird on her legs.

• Advertisement

Lot 3 looks alright to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭TwoOldBoots

Lot 3 looks alright to me.

Looks like that animal has a bit of a hump on its back. I'd pass on them, but they would be still better than the average comercial stock but well behind other Limo breeders

What did you use on her in the end? Had another bull off him yesterday, brings the number to about 10 THZ calves here with no assistance needed, most on heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Have 1 on-dit straw left and 1 cow left to bull. Would it be very risky to ai a cow that I didn't see in heat?

Vasectomised bull standing beside cow yesterday morn.
    No activity at lunch. At opposite ends of field.
    No activity at 6 in even but clear slim from cow.
    No activity at 11 last night.
    No activity at 7 this morn.

Thinking of bringing ai man this evening but be a shame to waste an on-dit straw.

What would you do? anytime I seen clear skin from cow she was in standing heat but maybe slim is also a sign that she is coming in heat?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Would you think of keeping that straw and trying her with another one?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Would you think of keeping that straw and trying her with another one?

That would be the safest option surely. Just wondering would ya chance bulling her without seeing any activity. Would clear slime be enough to say she's in heat

What did you use on her in the end? Had another bull off him yesterday, brings the number to about 10 THZ calves here with no assistance needed, most on heifers.
    I went with THZ hopefully she keeps.

I went with THZ hopefully she keeps.

Have you a chain-ball marker on the teaser bull?

Have you a chain-ball marker on the teaser bull?

I have a 11 month old lm bull running with a bunch of heifers he could be doing the job while I'm away at work but I ai as well to be on the safe side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Anyone have any experience with the Char bull Torino (CH2194) from Eurogene? Thinking of using him this year on a few big cows - supposed to be easy calving. Any knowledge on him welcome.

Advertisement