Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV problem

Options
  • 03-11-2011 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭

Hi my CCTV system on a business premises is wired up and running Sparks done it, I can look at the cameras in the premises on my smart phone but once I go to another wifi area I cannot see any thing.Any help would be app.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Fuzzballs

Thats because your DVR is on the same network as your Smartphone/PC when you are on the premises. Once you go from your premises, you are no longer on that network, so you need to access it by the WAN address. This is the address that you get from your ISP (Eircom, UPC etc). If you are on your premises, go to website www.whatismyip.com, that will show you your WAN IP. If the sparks did not set up port forwarding on the router to your DVR you may not be able to access it anyway. He should know better if he didnt, or get a network tech to do it if he couldnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Fuzzballs wrote: »
    Thats because your DVR is on the same network as your Smartphone/PC when you are on the premises. Once you go from your premises, you are no longer on that network, so you need to access it by the WAN address. This is the address that you get from your ISP (Eircom, UPC etc). If you are on your premises, go to website www.whatismyip.com, that will show you your WAN IP. If the sparks did not set up port forwarding on the router to your DVR you may not be able to access it anyway. He should know better if he didnt, or get a network tech to do it if he couldnt.

Cheers thanks for that sorry i was slow to thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭{^Syntax^}

You could use http://www.ipconfig.ie to get your public IP Address also.

Once you have this, you can enter that into your mobile.

You'll also need to create NAT & Firewall rules on your internet gateway device to open the ports for your DVR.

Now you won't be able to view the system on your phone when you're inside the network unless you either create a loopback rule on your Firewall or have an internal DNS Server (in which case you'd put mycctv.dyndns.org or something into your phone which would be publicly resolveable and have a similar local zone so that the host name resolves the internal IP Address of your DVR when you're on the network).

If you need a hand with any of that ping me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tommy_boy

{^Syntax^} wrote: »
    You could use http://www.ipconfig.ie to get your public IP Address also.

Once you have this, you can enter that into your mobile.

You'll also need to create NAT & Firewall rules on your internet gateway device to open the ports for your DVR.

Now you won't be able to view the system on your phone when you're inside the network unless you either create a loopback rule on your Firewall or have an internal DNS Server (in which case you'd put mycctv.dyndns.org or something into your phone which would be publicly resolveable and have a similar local zone so that the host name resolves the internal IP Address of your DVR when you're on the network).

If you need a hand with any of that ping me :)
    hey, just reading your reply to this cctv iquestion. I wonder could you help me out please?
    I think I've set it up correctly, have my local router IP address, have assigned a static ip to the cctv system (192.168.0.100) but cant seem to get access to it either locall on LAN or WAN. I'm not sure how to open the ports required on my router (upc thompson router).
    any help greatly appreciated!

thanks
    Tom

Advertisement