Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little Help Needed

Options
  • 03-11-2011 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

A friend of mine is going to apply for a rifle licence.He asked me should he join a gun club before applying so he could state on the form when applying that he was a member and better his chances of approval or wait to see if he got approval without and join a gun club after, rather than spend 90 euros and then get turned down.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

What sort of club? If you mean target range then he will need to be a member to get a license to use his rifle for target shooting.

If he wants it for hunting then he only needs permission from a few farmers. It might help with the application though and he will doubtlessly learn from the other members of the club.

Also, if this is his first license the super intendant may ask for some proof of competency, a club will be helpful here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 a.j.m1981

Hibrion wrote: »
    What sort of club? If you mean target range then he will need to be a member to get a license to use his rifle for target shooting.

If he wants it for hunting then he only needs permission from a few farmers. It might help with the application though and he will doubtlessly learn from the other members of the club.

Also, if this is his first license the super intendant may ask for some proof of competency, a club will be helpful here too.

Its hunting club, and he has the gun handling Course which they require.I think he dosent want pay 90 euro and then be refused especially after buying a gun safe. Would it benefit him to join before ??????????

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

a.j.m1981 wrote: »
    Its hunting club, and he has the gun handling Course which they require.I think he dosent want pay 90 euro and then be refused especially after buying a gun safe. Would it benefit him to join before ??????????

It's only €80 and you don't pay it until the licence has been granted. If he has permissions of his own to shoot on farmers land then that should be as valid a reason to have a rifle as being a member of a club, he won't be refused just because he's not in a club.

If he has no convictions, has a safe, has done a firearms safety course and is applying for a non-restricted firearms cert I'd say there is almost no chance he will be refused a license.
    It will only help his case and there will be benefits to being in the club. For example: I'm sure some of the other members would be willing to take him out shooting with them so he can learn how things are done for when his license comes through.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

If he has no convictions, has a safe, has done a firearms safety course and is applying for a non-restricted firearms cert

And a valid reason, usually permission from farmers or membership of a gun club.

If he has one or the other then he's sorted. If he has neither well then.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

If I'm reading that right, then option one to lie, and option two is to join a club after he has the licence which makes no sense.

Either join a club and apply for target use, or get permissions and apply for hunting use.

IMO he should NOT claim he has a club membership falsely - if they do follow up he'll be utterly f*cked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

extremetaz wrote: »
    If I'm reading that right, then option one to lie, and option two is to join a club after he has the licence which makes no sense.

Either join a club and apply for target use, or get permissions and apply for hunting use.

IMO he should NOT claim he has a club membership falsely - if they do follow up he'll be utterly f*cked!

No he seems legit....
    wait to see if he got approval without and join a gun club after

Just dosnt want to be down 90quid.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

He cannot join a club or range AFTER getting the license. The only reasons for having a firearm are;
    • Range - target shooting.
    • Club - Game.
    • Private permissions - Game.
    You also must have security in place BEFORE you get your firearm/license.

in other words if you don't have all your ducks in a row before appying you can be refused. They do not grant licenses on the basis that you will fulfill these requirments after being granted.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Ezridax wrote: »
    He cannot join a club or range AFTER getting the license.

If he has landowner's permissions he can join a club afterwards; although this does' count for target shooting but the OP said he wants to hunt.

I think this guy just wants to hunt but is worried about loosing 90 quid to the club if he doesn't get his license.

He seems to have everything else in order so my advice is for him to go ahead and join the club. He can only learn while he is there and waiting for his license.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

If he has landowner's permissions he can join a club afterwards; .

My apologies. Let me explain better. He cannot appy for a licnese without having one of the three above. So if he wanted to join a club or range he counld not apply for a ,icense with no membership OR permissions, then join.

My point being he needs one of the three to apply. Sorry for the poor explanation previously.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
Advertisement