Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Van Morrison - Odyssey Belfast Feb 3rd/Point Feb 4th

Options
  • 03-11-2011 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭

These are gonna be great gigs. Tickets on sale next Thurs (Nov 10th)

Any word on a presale? Tickets for the Point seem to be 60-120e... ouch...!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Can't wait for this one, Really gonna be great. Over 10 years since he's played here. You can see the prices on the details here. http://www.vanmorrison.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 mielzi

I'm guessing the seats where you can actually catch a glimpse of the man himself will be in the €115 region. Wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

... where you can watch him do his usual eighty minute set.

Last time I saw Van was a matinee performance in the Olympia on the May Bank Holiday Weekend in 2002, immediately after which I went across the road to see The White Stripes in Dublin Castle.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Recent setlists have been good, and gigs are between 100-120 minutes long. There are reviews and setlists on this page.

http://vanmorrisonnews.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

Just booked my tickets in the O2 presale. Got 6th row centre stage so very happy with that! All the better this is a present from a wonderful friend!! Roll on Feb 4th 2012 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

musicmania wrote: »
    Just booked my tickets in the O2 presale. Got 6th row centre stage so very happy with that! All the better this is a present from a wonderful friend!! Roll on Feb 4th 2012 :D

Have you a code??

leakyboots wrote: »
    Have you a code??

Unfortunately codes can only be used once :(

A mate sent me on a code but I can't seem to use it on the Ticketmaster page? Am I on the wrong one, it there an O2 page I've to go through?

I'm with Vodafone so does that mean I've to use my mate's account?

A mate sent me on a code but I can't seem to use it on the Ticketmaster page? Am I on the wrong one, it there an O2 page I've to go through?

I'm with Vodafone so does that mean I've to use my mate's account?

Once you have the code you are sorted. Go to www.o2blueroom.ie and scroll down to and where you see Van Morrison listed click learn more and then on the page that loads click to buy now. It was take you to a special TM page and then you can book from there. Make sure to input the code exactly as it looks as it is case sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

If anyone wants to give me a code I'd be very happy

• Advertisement

Once you have the code you are sorted. Go to www.o2blueroom.ie and scroll down to and where you see Van Morrison listed click learn more and then on the page that loads click to buy now. It was take you to a special TM page and then you can book from there. Make sure to input the code exactly as it looks as it is case sensitive.

Got sorted, cheers! 5th row!

Getting real close now! Can't wait!! :D:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Backstage, woot!

Anyone know what time Van is on at?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭dasdog

Show starts at 8pm. Not getting my hopes up but looking forward to this with intrepid anticipation. 1993 Slane (Pearl Jam/Neil Young) was the last time I saw this fella.

From a review of last night, It's all I'm gonna read. Don't want to know too much about it. This is all I needed to know it's gonna be a good un :D

The evening kicked off with a jazz (bordering on calypso) version of
    Brown Eyed Girl
    . This oldie from his earliest days set the tone for the evening, with fresh renditions, and at times studio perfect performances of songs from across his 40 years plus performing history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Dead Man Walking

No safety net, no plan B

Wow, Well that was really something special. I was worried before hand because I was talking to one of the bar staff and word had gotten out that he was in a grumpy humour. Demanding the bar to be closed, no-ones allowed to leave. I want this and that etc. But that all changed when he walked out on stage and blasted into Brown Eyed Girl taking many by surprise. The highlights for me had to be No Safety Net/No Plan B followed by In The Garden. Not many people have the ability to keep a crowd of 14'000 totally focused and completely silent when he whispers into the microphone and then, with a punch in the air, bring the volume right back up again. There were so many amazing moments though. Moondance, Have I Told You Lately, Gloria, Help Me, Ballerina... There were times when he stood back and surveyed his band and conducted then through the song nodding with approval. He seemed to be enjoying himself smiling. He Added Stand By Me into the set list when it wasn't originally in there. The band started Gloria and he stopped them and then launched into Stand By Me. The sound was fantastic, the band were on fire, the set list was brilliant. At the end of Gloria he walked off, Handed his mic to the stage hand and the band finished the song. Van the Man on form is like nobody else. And boy was he on form.

dasdog wrote: »
    1993 Slane (Pearl Jam/Neil Young) was the last time I saw this fella.
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Epic gig. Consummate musicians... Van very much on form. The man can connect with the audience in a special way without much communication other than the music (wearing shades and a hat!). I felt emotion when he was singing 'Why Must I Always Explain'... loved the slightly different takes on the songs throughout the gig. Very enjoyable, loved the trademark hand snaps to the beats.

• Advertisement

Great gig, one of my mates recorded it and listened to it last night, nice to hear it back.

Song choice was a LITTLE conservative, but then again he has such a vast catalogue that you're never going to get what you want.

Top marks!

Link for my photos of the gig:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150558763938401.387122.708703400&type=1&l=0bd6110c3e

I concur with most of what has been said by Ciaran. VM may have requested the bars be closed but they weren't and people did not stay in their seats. We were 5th row from the front and there was a constant stream of people going in and out which done our heads in. Plus a load of them only came in as VM himself was starting. I've said it time and time again why the hell can't The O2 close the bars during the concerts especially when they are fully seated!!
    VM himself was in excellent form, well excellent form for him :D We enjoyed when he conducted the other band members who as you would expect for VM were excellent all round. In the whole we felt it was a great gig and my friend who has seen him many times said this was the best she has seen. We liked the setlist but did feel in places he was going through the motions especially with Brown Eyed Girl but then in other songs he was really into it. Have to say while at the start I love "No Plan B" after a few minutes it started to get on the nerves and I turned to my friend and said "Ok Van we get the message there is no f*****g plan B!!!
    On the whole very glad I went to see him and that we got him on a good night.

Great photos! :)

I agree with you. I hate the fact that people can't just sit still at a gig. At least they weren't let back in until the song was over which was good.

A HD video from my Da's youtube channel

CiaranK wrote: »
    Great photos! :)

I agree with you. I hate the fact that people can't just sit still at a gig. At least they weren't let back in until the song was over which was good.

A HD video from my Da's youtube channel

Great video! Has he any others? The stewards near me were kept busy for pretty much the first hour of the gig stopping people from recording or taking photos.

Anyone got the full setlist he played?

Some magic moments in there. Band seemed to be enjoying themselves too.

The second last photo in my link is of the setlist. We begged for one after the gig but they refused so I took a photo. The list on the left is accurate except for the inclusion of Stand By Me from the right from what I can remember. No one came near us and we were taking photos all night but I used the viewfinder on my camera so I remained in darkness.

The second last photo in my link is of the setlist. We begged for one after the gig but they refused so I took a photo. The list on the left is accurate except for the inclusion of Stand By Me from the right from what I can remember. No one came near us and we were taking photos all night but I used the viewfinder on my camera so I remained in darkness.

Did he do The Way Young Lovers Do? Thought the set contained more songs than that.

He definitely did 'I Can't Stop Loving You' from the right. Same feel to it as Blueberry Hill. He also threw in the Sonny Boy Williamson song 'Help Me' too.

I must listen back to the recording and compare it

Did he do The Way Young Lovers Do? Thought the set contained more songs than that.

He definitely did 'I Can't Stop Loving You' from the right. Same feel to it as Blueberry Hill. He also threw in the Sonny Boy Williamson song 'Help Me' too.

I can't remember tbh. Let me know of any changes from the recording please!

I think he did play 'the way young lovers do'

Great video! Has he any others? The stewards near me were kept busy for pretty much the first hour of the gig stopping people from recording or taking photos.

Anyone got the full setlist he played?

Some magic moments in there. Band seemed to be enjoying themselves too.

The other videos aren't as good as that but he is going to go through them again and see if they are post worthy :)

The order of the setlist was slightly different from the photo posted.

Setlist
    Brown Eyed Girl
    High Than The World
    Fair Play
    Precious Time
    Sometimes We Cry (w/Shana Morrison)
    Real Real Gone
    I Can't Stop Loving You
    Moondance
    Crazy Love
    The Mystery
    All In The Game/No Plan B/No Safety Net/This Is It
    In The Garden
    Have I Told You Lately
    Little Village
    Tupelo Honey/Why Must I Always Explain
    Ballerina
    Help Me
    Stand By Me (w/Shana Morrison)
    Gloria

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 bootsy111

can anyone explain Van's no plan b/no safety net song? i was at the belfast gig, absolutely amazing. Would love if someone could shed some light on that for me. would love to buy the song if possible

Advertisement