Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mulitple Input Devices Into Same Monitor

• 03-11-2011 4:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭

So I have a Dell E22WFP monitor that has both DVI and VGA inputs.

My PC is connected via the DVI as it only has a DVI out on the tower and I have my Xbox connected via the VGA.

My prob is how to switch input devices on the monitor with having to unplug one cable and plug in the other.

What I've tried doing is switching on the Xbox and putting my PC to sleep and hitting the "refresh" button on the monitor, this works ok but my prob is getting the PC back out of sleep mode, maybe its just my PC but its causing a load of hassle. The PC wakes up but the monitor does not detect the new input device (ie the PC). I have to unplug everything and plug the DVI cable back into the monitor for it to work.

Is there a simpler way of manually selecting which input device the monitor displays? There must be like!

Other alternatives would be getting a VGA selector and going PC --> DVI to VGA convertor (DVI out only on PC) --> VGA lead --> VGA selector Channel A --> PC monitor.

And having the Xbox plugged into the Channel B of the VGA selector but this is messy and I have to buy more stuff!

I hope I have explained myself clearly and someone can help!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

..Brian.. wrote: »
    So I have a Dell E22WFP monitor that has both DVI and VGA inputs.

My PC is connected via the DVI as it only has a DVI out on the tower and I have my Xbox connected via the VGA.

My prob is how to switch input devices on the monitor with having to unplug one cable and plug in the other.

What I've tried doing is switching on the Xbox and putting my PC to sleep and hitting the "refresh" button on the monitor, this works ok but my prob is getting the PC back out of sleep mode, maybe its just my PC but its causing a load of hassle. The PC wakes up but the monitor does not detect the new input device (ie the PC). I have to unplug everything and plug the DVI cable back into the monitor for it to work.

Is there a simpler way of manually selecting which input device the monitor displays? There must be like!

Other alternatives would be getting a VGA selector and going PC --> DVI to VGA convertor (DVI out only on PC) --> VGA lead --> VGA selector Channel A --> PC monitor.

And having the Xbox plugged into the Channel B of the VGA selector but this is messy and I have to buy more stuff!

I hope I have explained myself clearly and someone can help!
    Sometimes there is a source switch in the OSD menu, but with alot of monitors they only switch source when senseing output ports, check the menu anyways!

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Will have a look when I go home, thanks Nick, fingers crossed its something that simple :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭platinums

Found a similar monitor, but the icons should be the same.
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/E228WFP/En/ug/setup.htm#Connecting Your Monitor
    scroll down till you see A B C D E (1 page down)

There you'll see the icon for the input select button. find it on your monitor and give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Ah I'm such an artard! Haha! :D

The input selector button (which I refered to as a refresh button ion my OP) is exactly what i'm looking for. You keep pressing it to cycle through autodetect, analogue inupt (Xbox) and digital input (PC).

Works a treat, thanks for your help guys! :)

Advertisement