Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xi'an - what do I need to know?

Options
  • 03-11-2011 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I got a job teaching English in Xi'an starting next year.

Short 6 month contract, short hours (20+3 p.w.), short pay too (6000RMB p.m.). I've no experience teaching so wanted to take it handy, I do have a CELTA though.

Any boardsies been teaching out there?

Is it possible to save any of my wages (accommodation provided, bills will be very low I'm told...)?

What's the city like compared to Beijing or Shanghai?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭daithimacgroin

great city centre in xi'an, probably the best city-centre of any chinese city
    wages are low in most jobs there
    theres an irish guy on eslcafe.com china forum called cormac who might give u more info

whats the name of the school?
    if its private, which it sounds like it is, i'd give it a miss,
    most private schools in xi'an u shud definitely avoid.....

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭idayang

Don't worry, you will like the city...it has a long history more than 5k years,you will find it very 'chinese';-)

The money is not too short if you don't go to some expensive shops.
    You will find lots of foreign people in there...

fleet wrote: »
    Hi All,

I got a job teaching English in Xi'an starting next year.

Short 6 month contract, short hours (20+3 p.w.), short pay too (6000RMB p.m.). I've no experience teaching so wanted to take it handy, I do have a CELTA though.

Any boardsies been teaching out there?

Is it possible to save any of my wages (accommodation provided, bills will be very low I'm told...)?

What's the city like compared to Beijing or Shanghai?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

basically i would say go for it if you wanna experience something different (in your life)! money shouldnt be an issue (worst case scenario you have some savings here haha), just go and give it a go (if thats what you want). you will be like a little celebrity over there anyway so i really see nothing to worry about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Thanks for the all the replies!

I'm definitely going to head over. I've been studying Mandarin here a bit, so I'd like to get some practice in over there.

What's the night life like?

lots of bars......lots of delicious food......lots of people......;) ,especially in the city centre

• Advertisement

i recommend "hui min jie street"in the city centre.it means Muslim street, a sea of food and crafts......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

fleet wrote: »
    Thanks for the all the replies!

I'm definitely going to head over. I've been studying Mandarin here a bit, so I'd like to get some practice in over there.

What's the night life like?
    if you havent experienced the 'WOW all these nice foods and drinks only for 10euro?!' moments, i bet ya gonna love it over there XD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

In Dalian you can get a v.large (and tasty!) Chinese barbecue meal for two, with 4 beers each, for around €12.

And I hear Xi'an is cheaper than Dalian!

Absolutely !

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭daithimacgroin

xi'an is much much cheaper than dalian, and has much better meat, especially mutton.
    In dalian, u'd be lucky to find 'smeat' to eat.
    don't expect the beer to taste nice or get u drunk though(2%), or even be readily available,it's a predominantly muslim city-centre.. i would take a little handbag and stock up at Walmart or carrefour on more quality booze before heading out for the night

• Advertisement
Advertisement