Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snorth?

Options
  • 03-11-2011 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

I was talking to someone the other day, she asked where I was from(still got the wee Donegal lilt when I'm among my own), I replied Donegal, oh says she 'thats in the North, yes said I but not in Northern Ireland (thinking she did'nt know any better), she then informs me Donegal is often referred to as 'The Snorth' down in the South! Has anyone else ever heard this word before - can't say I have:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Never heard it before, pretty funny though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Never heard of it but I was very suprised by th amount of people at home who asked if I have to change to £ when I'm
    in Donegal.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

i heard of that before in dublin when i was in college , a few lads from wexford i was in college with thought donegal was in northern ireland , one day he asked me if he were to go to the donegal rally would they except EUROs on that weekend with alot of people being up from the south lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

IPAM wrote: »
    Never heard of it but I was very suprised by th amount of people at home who asked if I have to change to £ when I'm
    in Donegal.... :rolleyes:

Iv even heard that about sligo! :rolleyes: Think some people must have been absent the day they done geography in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

worst case iv come across was a girl from north leitrim who thought the county was divided in 2 eith the top half being in NI.... couldnt believe it, especially as she lived 10mins from bundoran

but no, never heard it before in my 4 and a bit years of college in dublin.... and i wont be mentioning it and giving it a chance to catch on either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

overshoot wrote: »
    worst case iv come across was a girl from north leitrim who thought the county was divided in 2 eith the top half being in NI.... couldnt believe it, especially as she lived 10mins from bundoran

but no, never heard it before in my 4 and a bit years of college in dublin.... and i wont be mentioning it and giving it a chance to catch on either!

You don't like it - I am surprised:rolleyes:

But then again it make us kind of unique and different from the rest, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

I've never heard of Donegal being referred to as the "Snorth", thankfully.

The Northwest is unique enough for me.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Noreen1 wrote: »
    I've never heard of Donegal being referred to as the "Snorth", thankfully.

The Northwest is unique enough for me.:D
    Ditto :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

Whenever people outside of Ireland give me that bemused look of "Hmm, he didn't say Dublin, so now I am stumped.", I usually just reply with "Top left, the nice one." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I guess that means theres a Scavan and Smonaghan too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I'm from 'down the country' originally, never heard of the 'snorth' term before, but I have been asked by friends how I find using sterling :rolleyes:

Advertisement