Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

security deposit request

Options
  • 03-11-2011 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

I was hoping you could help me. I missed 2 direct debit payments on my account recently, I tried to defer the second direct debit payment, as I knew I wouldn't have the funds until the next day but was told it was too late. The second direct debit was due on the 28th October and I paid it online in full by laser card on the 29th when I got paid.Now I see that a €300 deposit has been put on my account. I understand that I missed two direct debit payments, but if you look at my account I have never missed a payment before, and in this case I paid in full the day after it was due. There is no way I can afford to pay this €300 deposit, can you help? Thanks very much, I can PM you with account details if you think you can help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

I would tell them your switching to Bord Gais or Airtricity unless they take the deposit away, i'm sure they'll sort it pretty quickly then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Electric Ireland: Mark

Hi millivanilli,

Can you PM me your account details please? We would need your account number along with your name, address, telephone number and date of birth. Can you also confirm that you are the named account holder?

Thanks,
    Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

I was hoping you could help me. I missed 2 direct debit payments on my account recently, I tried to defer the second direct debit payment, as I knew I wouldn't have the funds until the next day but was told it was too late. The second direct debit was due on the 28th October and I paid it online in full by laser card on the 29th when I got paid.Now I see that a €300 deposit has been put on my account. I understand that I missed two direct debit payments, but if you look at my account I have never missed a payment before, and in this case I paid in full the day after it was due. There is no way I can afford to pay this €300 deposit, can you help? Thanks very much, I can PM you with account details if you think you can help

Most likely your DD was cancelled after it was returned unpaid. The security deposit would then be applied to your account automatically. If you set up the DD again it should be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭millivanilli

ok thanks will set up dd again thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 araujogabi

Hi there. I am in the same exact situation as that the person described above. I had an ESB account for over a year and never missed a payment too, and then I moved somewhere else, after a while switched back to Electric Ireland but I've missed two payments because I have another direct debit in my bank account set for days before the electricity is due and for some reason I thought It was always set for 2 weeks after, when I get paid again. Then the bank returned the payment and now I'm being asked for the deposit. Can someone, please help???
    Thanks,
    Gabriela.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Gabriela,

Do private message me your Electric Ireland account number and your name/address in full as they appear on your account, as well as your date of birth. We will see what we can do in relation to the deposit.

If it is difficult to have sufficient funds in your bank account on the date the direct debit is due, we would recommend making pre-payments up to a week before the direct debit date, in order to reduce the total to be taken out of the bank account.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 13 slievenamon83

sorry to hijack this thread was also looking for some advice regarding the security deposit ....just moved into a new flat my partner rang in our meter reading but a mix up with our post meant i didnt recieve the connection letter...got a bill this morning with a request for 300 deposit ....we intend to pay by direct debit but missed the ten day slot to sign up....thanks in advance for your help

Hi Slievenamon83,

No problem at all - this is the right thread for it! :)

If you are the named account-holder or an authorised contact on the Electric Ireland account, do private message me the account number and account-holder name/address in full as they appear on our system, as well as the contact telephone number on the account. For data protection reasons, we can only discuss account specifics with the named account-holder or authorised account contact.
    Once I have those details, I can have a look to see what is the current situation on the account. To register direct debit, we cannot take bank details by private message here on Boards.ie - this would need to be done with one of our telephone advisors. Our customer service line is open 8am to 8pm Monday to Saturday (closed Sunday) and is locall 1850 372 372.

Setting up a direct debit should automatically remove the security deposit charge.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 13 slievenamon83

thats great thanks so much!!!

No problem, happy to help! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Chett

Una can you please help me. I signed up in September with Electric Ireland with direct debit payment. I had insufficient funds to pay the first bill (the bill was 114.83 but there was only 96 in the account so I was just getting fines) and just recently I lodged the amount for that bill and the most recent bill but now I have a letter saying that I will have to pay a 300 euro security deposit or the electricity supply would be disconnected and legal action would be taken. Is there any way you can help me with this, I'm really not able to afford 300 euro.
    Thank you.

Hi Chett,

If you are the named account-holder or an authorised contact on the Electric Ireland account, do private message me the account number, the name/address in full of the account-holder and the contact telephone number on the account and I will investigate for you.

If a customer has an account with Electric Ireland for less than 14 months and discontinues paying by direct debit and pays manually instead, this causes the system to automatically apply the security deposit, so to remove the deposit, the direct debit would need to be reinstated - we may be able to do so on our side, but if not, the bank would need to be contacted first, and then us again. It is still possible to make manual pre-payments (electronic/paperless only) though on an account with direct debit set up, in order to reduce the bill total by the time it is due for payment. It is best to leave a week before the final pre-payment and the direct debit date in order to prevent cross-over. Here is a list of payment means.

Do also private message me those account details when you can - one of the things we are unable to do here on Boards is anything related to bank details (that would need to be done with one of our advisors over the telephone) but we can check the account no problem and make any other changes if applicable. :)

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Chett

Hi Una,

Thanks for your reply. I've private messaged those details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭CaoimheCweeva

Was wondering if someone could help me out here please.

Myself, my boyfriend and 2 of our friends just moved into a flat, we've been here just over a week. Letting agents asked us what name to put electricity into, we had to go away for a couple of days to think about it and then we decided we'd put it in my name. Got a letter form both electric Ireland and ESB. The electric Ireland letter said I had to either pay a deposit of 300e or sign up by direct debit. I signed up for DD, and then I registered my account with electric Ireland. It says online now that I still owe the 300e deposit and it has to be paid by the 19th of this month, and my next bill will come through early November.

Just wondering will it go away or what can be done? We've only been here a week and it was only put into my name recently, we can't pay the 300e deposit because we're students. Bit confused about the whole thing tbh, I've only rented one other place before and the letting agents sorted us out with electric Ireland then and we just got a paper bill every two months. 

If someone could please help me out that would be great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭EI: Aoife O

Was wondering if someone could help me out here please.

Myself, my boyfriend and 2 of our friends just moved into a flat, we've been here just over a week. Letting agents asked us what name to put electricity into, we had to go away for a couple of days to think about it and then we decided we'd put it in my name. Got a letter form both electric Ireland and ESB. The electric Ireland letter said I had to either pay a deposit of 300e or sign up by direct debit. I signed up for DD, and then I registered my account with electric Ireland. It says online now that I still owe the 300e deposit and it has to be paid by the 19th of this month, and my next bill will come through early November.

Just wondering will it go away or what can be done? We've only been here a week and it was only put into my name recently, we can't pay the 300e deposit because we're students. Bit confused about the whole thing tbh, I've only rented one other place before and the letting agents sorted us out with electric Ireland then and we just got a paper bill every two months. 

If someone could please help me out that would be great!
    Hi CaoimheCweeva,

Thank you for contacting us with this post. If you have opted for Direct Debit then you are not obliged to pay the security deposit. The €300 deposit is reversed from an account after a few days of the Direct Debit being set up, and will not be requested from your bank.

If you'd like us to check your account and confirm that this has occurred, please PM with your Electric Ireland account number, full name, address and contact number. Please also confirm if you are the account holder.

Kind regards,
    Aoife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭CaoimheCweeva

Hi CaoimheCweeva,

Thank you for contacting us with this post. If you have opted for Direct Debit then you are not obliged to pay the security deposit. The €300 deposit is reversed from an account after a few days of the Direct Debit being set up, and will not be requested from your bank.

If you'd like us to check your account and confirm that this has occurred, please PM with your Electric Ireland account number, full name, address and contact number. Please also confirm if you are the account holder.

Kind regards,
    Aoife

Thanks Aoife I got it sorted

Advertisement