Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying St Patricks Church Dundalk bell ringing

Options
  • 03-11-2011 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else find St Patricks Church Dundalk bell ringing annoying? The bells are ringing 24 hours a day! Surely Dundalk Town Council could enforce them not ringing 11.00pm-7.00am?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Does anyone else find St Patricks Church Dundalk bell ringing annoying? The bells are ringing 24 hours a day! Surely Dundalk Town Council could enforce them not ringing 11.00pm-7.00am?

I quite like them. You get used to them very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

I lived in a monastery with Monks for a period of time and their bell rings just the same. It never bothered me at all. I think your problem is more of a personal one that exists with yourself.

Onesimus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Yeah,sure we should get a petition going. :rolleyes:
    1st world problems ehh ??

What a load of -

DONG !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

Onesimus wrote: »
    I lived in a monastery with Monks for a period of time and their bell rings just the same. It never bothered me at all. I think your problem is more of a personal one that exists with yourself.

Onesimus

You are quite right; my personal problem is that I cannot get a good nights sleep with the sound of bell ringing.
    I have no problem with bell ringing during the day, and actually quite like it. I just object to the bell ringing at night; say between 11.00pm and 7.00am.

You are quite right; my personal problem is that I cannot get a good nights sleep with the sound of bell ringing.
    I have no problem with bell ringing during the day, and actually quite like it. I just object to the bell ringing at night; say between 11.00pm and 7.00am.

But the fact is...since other people can get a good nights sleep between 11PM to 7AM while the bell dongs away through the night for many years without complaint, and you can not, Would suggest that there is something wrong with you, and not the bell. Therefore we need to fix you not the bell.

• Advertisement

Yeah,sure we should get a petition going. :rolleyes:
    1st world problems ehh ??

What a load of -

DONG !!

1st world problems?
    I think you are mistaken, the Republic of Ireland is a third world country now; one of the poorest of the twenty-seven EU member states.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I agree with the OP, if there was a dog barking all day or a house alarm going off all day one would have cause for complaint, why should a church bell be made an exception?
    I assume the local authorities could investigate this, here's a link.
    http://www.louthcoco.ie/en/Services/Environment/Pollution-Control/Noise_Pollution/

vektarman wrote: »
    I agree with the OP, if there was a dog barking all day or a house alarm going off all day one would have cause for complaint, why should a church bell be made an exception?
    http://www.louthcoco.ie/en/Services/Environment/Pollution-Control/Noise_Pollution/

Many thanks for your help.
    I have emailed Father Mark at St Patrick's and will see what he has to say first.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Bell there first?

Yeah lets all join hands and protest outside the Big Ben in London:rolleyes: The Motorways outside our houses, the dogs on the street, the helicopters and planes that fly over our houses every evening and so on not to mention the trains that sweep by our houses on the hour.

There is no noise pollution with regards to St.Patricks bell, I can sleep with it donging through the night and hundreds of others in the area coming and going throughout the years have never protested it which presents the theory that the OP has more than a sleep problem methinks.

OP I think it would be interesting to see how see how Fr.Mark responds ( if at all ) so please do keep us posted on your protest against the Church bell. :)

• Advertisement

Yeah lets all join hands and protest outside the Big Ben in London:rolleyes: The Motorways outside our houses, the dogs on the street, the helicopters and planes that fly over our houses every evening and so on not to mention the trains that sweep by our houses on the hour.

OP I think it would be interesting to see how see how Fr.Mark responds ( if at all ) so please do keep us posted on your protest against the Church bell. :)

It's regretful that you have to descend to sarcasm, people's opinions should be respected whether you agree with them or not, the OP has a valid point especially if his health is affected by being unable to sleep because of noise pollution.

It's regretful that you have to descend to sarcasm, people's opinions should be respected whether you agree with them or not, the OP has a valid point especially if his health is affected by being unable to sleep because of noise pollution.

So if the OP is living by a Train station in which a train flys by on the hour and he is having trouble sleeping because of it, What do you suggest he do? Or if it be the case that a planes pathway is directly over his area on the hour every hour, what do you suggest he do? call for a repositioning of the airport and train station?

Train movements and flights are limited at night because of the noise disturbance they cause, and the thread isn't about noise from these modes of transport, the OP has a specific complaint and I think he's being quite reasonable by asking if the chuch bell ringing can be confined to certain hours.

Train movements and flights are limited at night because of the noise disturbance they cause, and the thread isn't about noise from these modes of transport, the OP has a specific complaint and I think he's being quite reasonable by asking if the chuch bell ringing can be confined to certain hours.

Plane Movements are on the go 24/7 I know because my uncle lives right in their pathway by Dublin Airport and I've been there overnight.

The Big Bens Bell isnt confined or limited at night and I dont see millions of Londoners giving out about it. Again the Op is not being reasonable at all.

The Big Bens Bell isnt confined or limited at night and I dont see millions of Londoners giving out about it. Again the Op is not being reasonable at all.
    A slight exageration there, millions of Londoners don't have to listen to Big Ben as it's by and large a mainly governmental and financial district and the population for the area is relatively low, anyway you think the OP is making an unreasonable request and I think he being reasonable so we'll have to agree to disagree, I have to go to mass now, the bells are calling me. :)

Johhny Foreigner :

quasimoto1.jpg

:D

A slight exageration there, millions of Londoners don't have to listen to Big Ben as it's by and large a mainly governmental and financial district and the population for the area is relatively low, anyway you think the OP is making an unreasonable request and I think he being reasonable so we'll have to agree to disagree, I have to go to mass now, the bells are calling me. :)

This is the heart of London we are talking about and your telling me that there is a low population around the big bento someone who has lived there? :D:D:D

Right you are so.... :D It's obvious your argument is running on steam.... and... as it's difficult to persuade anyone who is convinced of their position of the contrary opinion I guess I'll just have to bid you a good night. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭furiousox

Ear plugs, night-night.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

I'd rather not here the fecking things at any time quite frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

MugMugs wrote: »
    I quite like them. You get used to them very quickly.

+1 on getting used to them. I've spent most of the last 15 years living about 200m away (OK, not quite as close as Douglas Court!) and I don't notice them at all. I can hear them, but they're just there vaguely in the background, like traffic noise, so they don't disturb me at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

I lived in one of the town houses on Roden Place for a year. The bells annoyed me at first too, but I got used to them quickly. OP have you only moved close to them recently?

Funglegunk wrote: »
    I lived in one of the town houses on Roden Place for a year. The bells annoyed me at first too, but I got used to them quickly. OP have you only moved close to them recently?

Yes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Whats the point of them ringing during the night? For all the people who jumped on OP's back, there's not been any justification offered (That I can remember) as to why they have to be on at night. I know that would drive me bonkers....

Whats the point of them ringing during the night? For all the people who jumped on OP's back, there's not been any justification offered (That I can remember) as to why they have to be on at night. I know that would drive me bonkers....

Thank you for your empathy.
    I have no problem with bell ringing during the day.
    I appreciate that bell ringing is the traditional way of calling people to church and time keeping.
    I just think they should stop bell ringing between 11.00pm and 7.00am on week days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

In two weeks you won't even notice them. Trust me.

Funglegunk wrote: »
    In two weeks you won't even notice them. Trust me.

A few people have said the same to me.
    Its like if you live next to train tracks, after a couple of weeks you don't notice the trains going by.
    I am already getting used to the sound of the bells ringing.

1st world problems?
    I think you are mistaken, the Republic of Ireland is a third world country now; one of the poorest of the twenty-seven EU member states.
    politics..>> that way
    re-peel the laws:pac: dont waatch the 10 o'clock news on utv:p i am on the iphone sorry for spelling mistakes +

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

1st world problems?
    politics..>> that way
    re-peel the laws:pac: dont waatch the 10 o'clock news on utv:p i am on the iphone sorry for spelling mistakes +

I'm shocked it took anybody that long to react to that insane statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭JohnnyTodd

I suggest you go in and have a chat with McNamara. Tell him you can't sleep with those bells hopping all night.

I feel your pain. They annoy me even if clanging during the day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement