Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to the Aran Islands?

Options
  • 03-11-2011 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi There

I hope im posting in the correct place. Basically, Me, my mother and my sister are looking at moving out of Dublin. We have been looking around at places and we reckon Galway is where we want to go. Recently i was reading about boarding programmes they do on Inis Meain, to do with the secondary school and i decided to look into it abit. Im just wondering has anyone any information on how one might go about relocating on one of the Aran Islands as there isn't much information online. My sister is 9 so shes still in primary and im in 5th year. Whats the situation with schools etc. Also none of us speak Irish, but we would hope to learn it. Does any one have suggestions on which they think would be easiest to move to i.e. least hassle and complication.

Any infomation would be kindly regarded.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

Also none of us speak Irish, but we would hope to learn it.

i take it you havent been to the aran islands then

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Hi OP.

With regard schools, you would need to go on Inis Mór for secondary.

Because you would be in school entirely through Irish they might ask you to spend the summer on a Gaeltacht course so you won't find the transition too hard.

There is a bit more of a social life on Inis Oirr and Inis Mór than Inis Meáin from my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Hi There

I hope im posting in the correct place. Basically, Me, my mother and my sister are looking at moving out of Dublin. We have been looking around at places and we reckon Galway is where we want to go. Recently i was reading about boarding programmes they do on Inis Meain, to do with the secondary school and i decided to look into it abit. Im just wondering has anyone any information on how one might go about relocating on one of the Aran Islands as there isn't much information online. My sister is 9 so shes still in primary and im in 5th year. Whats the situation with schools etc. Also none of us speak Irish, but we would hope to learn it. Does any one have suggestions on which they think would be easiest to move to i.e. least hassle and complication.

Any infomation would be kindly regarded.

There are national schools on all three islands but only Inis Mor has a secondary school.

Inis Meain the middle island is definitely the quietest. Inis Mor and Inis Oirr can be quite lively during the tourist season though (April to September). Winters are quiet though obviosuly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 missymooo

eh.. as you're are from Dublin and do not speak Irish fluently, I would not recommend a move to Inis Meain... stay in Galway city/suburbs.. you may be looking for a quieter life moving from Dublin but trust me Inis Meain will drive you to drink..

Advertisement