Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Record stores in Dublin for electronica/idm/glitch

Options
  • 03-11-2011 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Anyone know of any good places that sell idm/techno/electronica music?

I was in a couple in dublin but none have anything off the beaten track of music. None even had Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, venetian snares etc.

Any suggestaroonies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I was in Tower yesterday and bought cds by Oneohtrix Point Never, Tim Hecker and A Winged Victory for the Sullen. Thought I might have to order online, but said I'd check first. Usually have a good selection in there.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Is that the new Oneohtrix Point Never release - Replica?

My only gripe with Tower is the prices - I don't mind a few quid above online but I find they are frequently 19.99 for a release that might be 8.99 on Amazon, Boomkat etc. But yeah they are certainly the best, if not the only location really now where you can browse a decent selection of electronica and techno etc. And I often justify my spend in there bearing in mind completing their loyalty card!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Is that the new Oneohtrix Point Never release - Replica?

My only gripe with Tower is the prices - I don't mind a few quid above online but I find they are frequently 19.99 for a release that might be 8.99 on Amazon, Boomkat etc. But yeah they are certainly the best, if not the only location really now where you can browse a decent selection of electronica and techno etc. And I often justify my spend in there bearing in mind completing their loyalty card!

No, it was Returnal, which I hadn't gotten around to buying. I agree that they're a bit pricey, but for me I hate browsing amazon etc. and then having to wait 1 week + for delivery. Once I spot something, I want to hear it right away :D

bogmanfan wrote: »
    No, it was Returnal, which I hadn't gotten around to buying. I agree that they're a bit pricey, but for me I hate browsing amazon etc. and then having to wait 1 week + for delivery. Once I spot something, I want to hear it right away :D

I've come to become just as addicted to web shopping as actual stores - you can't beat stores in fairness but I do love the sheer variety when spending a couple of hours between the various websites. And yes it is pretty hard to walk away from an album you want in Tower, regardless of knowing it will be cheaper online.

Amazon though I find typically are about 2-3 days max for delivery, Boomkat and others though about a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

They're way better on price now than they were. I think I paid €22 for an Autechre album once just 'cause I had a voucher from my birthday. Quaristice isn't even that good :p

• Advertisement

El Pr0n wrote: »
    They're way better on price now than they were. I think I paid €22 for an Autechre album once just 'cause I had a voucher from my birthday. Quaristice isn't even that good :p

Ah yes Quaristice, I remember that alright... I think I gave it about 3 spins before deciding it just wasn't going to click! They've made up for it since so I forgive them.

I must say I do love Tower though, I genuinely cannot walk past without being drawn in just for a quick look, only to walk out armed with my latest purchase. What would really complete it for me would be if they did what was being considered a while back and included a 2nd hand section.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I must say I do love Tower though, I genuinely cannot walk past without being drawn in just for a quick look, only to walk out armed with my latest purchase. What would really complete it for me would be if they did what was being considered a while back and included a 2nd hand section.

They've got a really good jazz and classical section too, that's what tops it off for me.

A second hand section would be cool but aren't there plenty of other record shops doing that anyway?

El Pr0n wrote: »
    They've got a really good jazz and classical section too, that's what tops it off for me.

A second hand section would be cool but aren't there plenty of other record shops doing that anyway?

Yeah that's what I love about Tower too, great for all genres - nothing like spending a couple of hours browsing various sections.

I'd love to have the option under one roof and ideally a bigger 2nd hand section split out into genres - it would be nice if they actually bought in 2nd hand off the web, as in their buyers would purchase music they reckon will sell 2nd hand, so not just dependent on people coming in off the street to flog their music - actually trading music from online purchasing etc and reselling in store. I always use Concerto in Amsterdam as the benchmark, I don't know if they buy/sell online but they always have an amazing selection of 2nd hand stuff, anytime I've been in I end up finding lots of gems to include some rare enough CDs also.

So with their coffee shop, great selection of music, additional quirky things now such as toys, music memorabilia, books etc - the only thing missing for me is a good 2nd hand section! Oh and slightly lower prices for electronica...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Alot of the small independant shops seem to be disappearing unfortunately. Tower records is certainly the best shop in town. Just check out their electronica section.
    Is City Discs in temple bar gone? Walked past it a few weeks back and it was closed. I always liked that place.

Advertisement