Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish, Scots and Welsh need to eat like the English

Options
  • 03-11-2011 6:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

Many thousands of fatal illnesses could be avoided in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland - if they would only adopt the diet of their English neighbours.

As many as 80 per cent of preventable deaths from the biggest killer diseases would be eliminated if the rest of the UK followed England's nutritional habits, according to new research.

They have proposed a 'fat tax' to improve the diet of the UK as a whole and reduce regional inequality in health.

The research showed that people in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland consistently eat more calories, more fat and more salt than those living in England, and fewer fruit and vegetables than the English.

Eight out of 10 unnecessary deaths from cancer, heart disease and stroke in Wales and Northern Ireland - and four in 10 of those in Scotland - could be prevented if people ate the 'average' diet in England.

Analysis of diets between 2007 and 2009 found that, on average, people in Scotland and Northern Ireland also ate 7.5g of salt daily compared to 7g in England, while those in Wales ate 7.4g.

HOW THE UK COMPARES: AVERAGE DAILY CONSUMPTION IN 2009

.................ENERGY (cal)...TOTAL FAT (g)...SALT (g)...FRUIT (g)

ENGLAND ....2289................ 94.9............... 7.0 .........173
    WALES....... 2364 ................98.1 ...............7.4 .........173
    SCOTLAND ..2370................ 97.6 ................7.6 ........172
    N IRELAND ...2424 ................100.1.............. 7.8 ........152

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2056936/English-diet-save-thousands-Welsh-Scottish-Irish-lives.html#ixzz1cfDu5Ieo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

DailyMail..............:rolleyes:

The UK has the highest obesity rate in Europe so even if the Celtic nations eat like the English they will still have one of Europes unhealthiest diets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If the Scots ate more curry and Chinese food they'd be better off its true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Saw this on the news earlier. To be honest I think its bollocks. I have seen Jamie Olivers programmes, including the girl who used to live on crisps, and the woman who fed her 5 year old takeaway kebabs and chips every night and then said she didnt think she was healthy.

That they singled out England and then said Wales and Scotland, you should do what they do. Its ridiculous.

Its like saying Cavan eats more healthily than Mayo.

Waste of time and money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 embobolina

To be honest, coming from England myself, one of the first things I noticed about the food here is that there is way less salt in it than back in England (which I think is great) also the supermarkets here have way less freezer aisles than in England.

So I reckon its a load of tosh
    x

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

embobolina wrote: »
    To be honest, coming from England myself, one of the first things I noticed about the food here is that there is way less salt in it than back in England (which I think is great) also the supermarkets here have way less freezer aisles than in England.

x
    they are not talking about the republic,just the UK

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

embobolina wrote: »

x
    getz wrote: »
    they are not talking about the republic,just the UK

Yes the study is NI which has afar unhealthier diet than the Republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 embobolina

Ah sorry my mistake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The OP is just doing his "We English are way superior to everyone else - especially you backwards Irish" schtick, and even resorting to deliberately misinterpreting something for a thread title. Notice his non return to the thread.

But anyway, magazine stands are now regularly crammed full of "My weight-loss success - via gastric band" stories... from England.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Dudess wrote: »
    The OP is just doing his "We English are way superior to everyone else - especially you backwards Irish" schtick, and even resorting to deliberately misinterpreting something for a thread title. Notice his non return to the thread.

But anyway, magazine stands are now regularly crammed full of "My weight-loss success - via gastric band" stories... from England.

There are a few members of boards who are English or loyalist(1 in particular) who seem to post pure sneering sh1te to make themselves feel good. I find it completely odd and baffling.

On the original post, all i have to say is what a crock of sh1te, "eat more like the English" haha id understand if it was like "eat more like French/Italians" or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sir Gallagher - if you have a problem with a post use the Report Post function.

tHB

• Advertisement
Advertisement