Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card upgrade ?????

Options
  • 03-11-2011 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭

Sorry I don't know much about pc's I want to upgrade my graphics card to one able to run BF3
    the pc is 4 years old and was high spec when I got it but its starting to struggle the graphics card I currently have is a Nvidia GeForce 8800Gt

Can anyone recommend a compatible upgrade ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

We'll need the rest of your specs. If you don't know them, Google and install Speccy.

We'll also need to know what power supply you've got. Pop the door off your case and take a picture of it. (It's the big square thing, either at the top-back, or bottom-back of the case).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Is the PC a manufactured PC, can you give us the model name.

Otherwise, what are the details on the rest of your system?

You can find some of these by...
    Start menu -> (Windows XP hit the run button) -> Type in dxdiag.

Write down motherboard, processor, memory, operating system.

We'll also need to know about your PSU. Can you open your case, and write down the model or take a photograph of the details on it please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

sorry for the delay guys its a Dell XPS 420 i cant access sytem info for some reason it says its missing and speccy keeps freezing and only brings up some of the data but this is what speccy and dxdiag brought up and a pic of the PSU

Speccy
    Intel core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4 Ghz kentsfield 65NM technologies
    4Gb dual channell DDR2 @332 Mhz 5-5-5-15
    512 Mb GeForce 8800GT (Nvidia

System Information
    Time of this report: 11/3/2011, 22:15:40
    Machine name: XPS-420
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.110622-1503)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: n/a
    System Model: n/a
    BIOS: n/a
    Processor: n/a (4 CPUs)
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 3326MB RAM
    Page File: 1370MB used, 5279MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

Display Devices
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
    Manufacturer:
    Chip type:
    DAC type:
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0611&SUBSYS_053C10DE&REV_A2
    Display Memory: 1904 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 497 MB
    Shared Memory: 1406 MB
    Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor Name: Dell E228WFP

664ce0e3.jpg

just tried a different one and got this

5f2c8fc3.jpg
    3a01e80b.jpg
    356b6070.jpg
    00edfb5b.jpg
    84efcb37.jpg
    dad6a1c0.jpg
    659bf5c9.jpg

Given your resolution (1680 x 1050), you might be best off with something like a 6870. It should handle BF3 nicely. I think that your PSU should be able to cope with this. I'll check properly tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

I'm reading that 30 amps on the 12v is enough to run the 6870.. and definitely enough for a 6850.

Power consumption on the 6870 would be about an extra 50W. I think that you could just about squeeze it in. One problem is the connectors. You'd need 2 6-pin and you only have one. You'll need to get a 4 pin molex -> 6 pin PCI-E adapter. Sometimes you get them in the graphics card box.

Monotype wrote: »
    Power consumption on the 6870 would be about an extra 50W. I think that you could just about squeeze it in. One problem is the connectors. You'd need 2 6-pin and you only have one. You'll need to get a 4 pin molex -> 6 pin PCI-E adapter. Sometimes you get them in the graphics card box.

Where would be the best place to buy one ???

just out of curiosity whats the nvidia equivelant of the 6870 ???

sorry lad im stupid when it comes to this stuff:o

is it this you mean
    310AZfMxKxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Yeah, that kind of connector. The GTX 560 (non ti) is about the closest to the 6870.

thanks monotype , is there anything else i should look at doing ???

• Advertisement

For now, I think just clean up your system (e.g., with a program such as ccleaner) and defragment your drives (handled by windows 7 by default). I think you should be okay. Maybe consider a system upgrade next year.

cheers , i think i will do that might even look at building my own for the first time ;)

is this the right card ???

http://www.dabs.ie/products/sapphire-technology-ati-radeon-6870-hd-900mhz-1gb-pci-express-hdmi-78CT.html?q=6870&src=3

why is there such a selection of the same model ?? there seems to be 7 or 8
    http://www.dabs.ie/search?q=6870

one last question should i upgrade my PSU

im looking at my PSU and from the pic is it saying its max is 375W
    according to Radeon website they say

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for AMD CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode) http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-radeon-hd-6000/hd-6870/pages/amd-radeon-hd-6870-overview.aspx#3

664ce0e3-1.jpg
    am i reading it wrong ????

They overinflate the figures a bit in PSUs because there's a lot of bad PSUs around that are well below what they say they are.
    Power consumption of a bare Q6600 system at load is about 150W or a bit less. The 6870 is about 150W too, so you'll be ok.
    http://www.hwcompare.com/6103/geforce-8800-gt-512mb-vs-radeon-hd-6870/

You should be within the limits of the PSU but if you want a new PSU I can take a look, but you will be paying over €50 for a good one.

The different cards are just different branding, but it's essentially the same core by AMD or nVidia. Where they vary is warranty, service, additional software, fan design/cooling, card design layout, packaging, overclocking, accessories and connectors. I'd usually go for the cheapest or one of the cheapest if I don't like the look of the cheapest one or that brand has a bad name.
    XFX is the cheapest there. Their cards are good but I've heard a few complaints about their customer service.

Thanks very much Monotype

i just ordered the standard version HD6870 by Sapphire

if you dont mind could you recommend a decent PSU just in case :)

Just got the new graphics card after a mess up with DABS waiting ages to tell me they cant get it , I went to overclockers and their service was excellent had the card 2 days later .

My question now is to do with the plug in for the power supply
    My old graphics card a Nvidia Gforce 8800GT had a single 6 pin socket in it but the new graphics card has a 12 pin or should I say 2 x 6 pin sockets
    Do I need a adaptor cable or is this a plug in power point for a second graphics card ???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Your power supply should have a second lead coming from it that's identical to the 6-pin that was plugged into your graphics card.

If not, you'll need a molex to PCIe adapter. One might have come with the graphics card. If so, plug that into two of your molex connections from your PSU, then into your graphics card's second 6-pin connection.

This is what I have the lead in my hand is what I have and the 2 x 6 pin sockets are in the pic as well , I don't have anything like the white plugs in you link :confused:
    89a3b46f.jpg

You posted what you need in post #9!
    I missed the question about where to buy, but you probably could have got it from dabs or overclockers.

The cheapest place that I can find is ebay (if you have an ebay account/paypal etc.)
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/2-X-4-Pin-Molex-6-Pin-PCI-E-power-adapter-converter-/320751979014

€2.69 + €0.79 postage. Or take a trip to Balbriggan.

Ok sorry guys is this how it works??
    I see this coming out of PSU
    Do I use the adaptor cable on this for the second 6 pinn
    cf137c9f.jpg

This is the cable that came with it
    ebb6dfbe.jpg

• Advertisement

Did that come with the graphics card? Yes, that should be what you need.

Ya 2 of them with a load of other cables like HDMI etc

Perfect thanks for all the help monotype and everyone else, have to go to work now but look forward to trying it out when I get home:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I have same pc and same spec.

I got 6870 and kept my standart 375 psu.

You will need 2xmolex in to 6 pin adapter. I did a bit stupidly and got Sato to molex and then 2xmolex to 6 pin.

In total 2x6 pin needed.

I am running this setup since early August. No problem gpu related. Don't be filled by dells 375 psu. It looks like low, but it's a little monster.

I can run bf3 on all high, motion blur off. Looks great and fps around 30-60++. Plays great on 64 maps. Plays even better on smaller ones.

Advertisement