Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best spray paint for plastic

• 03-11-2011 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi all, I want to spray paint 3 vintage fiber-glass/ plastic chairs. I have done a bit of research and the best spray paint seems to be 'Krylon Fusion'. The only place I can see that sells it is Amazon.com and they won't ship it to Europe, apparently because of the large amount of solvency contained in it.
    Would anybody know of a good alternative.
    thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Get Plastifix in any motor factors, give the chair a dusting with it, then use any normal acrylic based spray paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭kube

Thanks for the quick reply, but as they are chairs i'm worried the paint my chip off in time. So i'm really causious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The paint will inevitably chip off in time. Plastifix is designed for plastic surfaces to give the best adhesion for subsequent paints. If you want the paint to last the longest time possible, you'd need to bring them to a car body shop, have them spray the plastic with a high build polyester 2 pack primer, then add whatever colour you want afterwards, and cover it all in either a gloss or matt 2 pack lacquer to seal it all up.

Plastic when it's coloured from the factory for chairs and the like usually has the colour impregnated into the plastic before it's formed. Painting something which will take abuse such as a chair will never be perfect, and will wear in time.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

As it's fiberglass you could go with Toplac international over a two- part primer it's as hard as nails and made for fiberglass, you can also get a mirror finish just painting it on and working it down with 800 1000 2000 wet and dry and then buffing, or if you want to spray it http://www.ehow.com/how_5810987_spray-interlux-toplac.html

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭kube

Thanks for this...seems like it may be more trouble than it's worth!

• Advertisement
Advertisement