Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking sand and stone from the beach?

Options
  • 03-11-2011 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭

Does anyone know if its legal or illegal to take sand and stone from the beach by the digger bucket full or van load.

I assumed it was illegal but I don't really understand the legislation which makes it sound like its OK provided the Minister hasn't said it not allowed in the area if that makes sense :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Contact the Town Council and ask them. I think you should do that whether it's legal or not. There might be certain areas that they might not want you to take sand and stone from e.g. near the cliffs or sand dunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I have never seen it done and I spent the majority of my life living beside a couple of beaches. My gut is telling me it's not allowed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its illegal alright. Cant recall legislation but its been that way for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

A foreshore license is required for any interruption works to the foreshore area. Even the Local Authorities have to apply to the EPA for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Red Harvest

I see sand and stone taken from the beach on a fairly regular bases, probably at least once a week, it varies from the odd plastic bucket full to a farmers digger bucket full.

So if its illegal what should I do, become a pain in the ass by reporting it or just ignore it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I see sand and stone taken from the beach on a fairly regular bases, probably at least once a week, it varies from the odd plastic bucket full to a farmers digger bucket full.

So if its illegal what should I do, become a pain in the ass by reporting it or just ignore it?

Well, it is illegal.

Small bucket stuff I doubt many would care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Would imagine it's illegal. An if you're using it for making concrete, as long as you don't mind sulphate attacking seriously weakening it, I'd say stay away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Red Harvest

Sully wrote: »
    Well, it is illegal.

Small bucket stuff I doubt many would care.

I'm going to try and ignore it, a few years ago I'd rarely see anyone taking stuff but this year its got a lot more common as has dumping rubish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

I would report it,before we know it we will have no beaches left what with all the people robbing it!

I actually saw people bring it into there cars before,but they cleverly hid it on the soles of their shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

By continually reporting it you run the risk of being seen as a nuisance, why not keep a log of anyone taking more than a bucketfull and hand that in as a report in 12 months time, it would make far more of an impact and likely get some results.

• Advertisement

I think the Guards would respond if you said it was a truck load, or a regular visitor. Small buckets, I doubt will have any impact. But large loads, is a different kettle of fish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

I actually saw people bring it into there cars before,but they cleverly hid it on the soles of their shoes.

:D & :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

"Excavation of sand from the beaches in County Wexford is prohibited by Ministerial Order. The prohibition extends to the whole coastline of the County."

Above taken from Wexford County Council web site www.wexford.ie. I presume that its the same across the country? Can't find the actual Ministerial Order though:(

DC

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Vince1974

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering about this myself and this was the top Google hit after my search. I did a bit of researching myself and found the FORESHORE ACT of 1933, which states under section 6:

Order prohibiting removal of beach material from seashore.

6.—(1) In this Act the expression “prohibitory order” means an order made, or deemed to have been made under this section prohibiting the removal of beach material from an area of seashore.

(2) Whenever the Minister is of opinion that the removal or the unrestricted removal of beach material of any kind or of any particular kind or kinds from any particular area of seashore has affected or is likely to affect prejudicially any public rights in respect of such area of seashore or any lands or water in the neighbourhood thereof or has caused or is likely to cause injury to any land or to any building, wall, pier, or other structure, the Minister may prohibit by order the removal by any person of beach material either (as the case may require) of any kind or of the said particular kind or kinds from the said area of seashore.

(3) The Minister may by order at any time at his discretion, revoke or amend a prohibitory order.

(4) Whenever the Minister has made or proposes to make, amend, or revoke a prohibitory order, the Minister may, if he thinks fit, hold a public inquiry in regard to the continuation, making, amendment, or revocation (as the case may be) of such order.

(5) Every person who shall remove any beach material from any foreshore or seashore in contravention of a prohibitory order shall be guilty of an offence under this section and shall be liable on summary conviction thereof in the case of a first offence, to a fine not exceeding ten pounds, and, in the case of a second or any subsequent offence, to a fine of ten pounds and, in every case to forfeiture of the beach material so removed.

(6) Every order made under section 14 of the Harbours Act, 1814, and in force at the passing of this Act shall continue in force notwithstanding the repeal of that section by this Act, and every such order shall for all purposes be deemed to have been made under this section on the date on which it was actually made although such date is prior to the passing of this Act.

(7) A prohibitory order shall not operate to prevent the granting under this Act of a licence to remove beach material from foreshore to which such order applies or to prevent the removal of beach material from such foreshore under and in accordance with a licence granted (whether before or after the making of such order) under this Act.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1933/en/act/pub/0012/print.html#sec6

Advertisement