Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to scrap a car?

Options
  • 03-11-2011 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Im looking to scrap a 93 honda, suppose letterkenny would be the nearest to me. Can only find Green Vehicle Recycling in bonagee, anyone know others? do they give you a few quid or is it the other way around? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

Westwood wrote: »
    Im looking to scrap a 93 honda, suppose letterkenny would be the nearest to me. Can only find Green Vehicle Recycling in bonagee, anyone know others? do they give you a few quid or is it the other way around? :)
    hey i know there is a scrap yard somewhere in around town not sure where though but you should get anything from 150 200 euro know a few people have got it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

There's a car scrappage yard out the Glenfin Road from Ballybofey. I'll see if I can get a phone number for it.

Edit; here you go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 globcar

Greenes will give you an end of life cert for your car & a save you any bother later on with your car getting into the wrong hands ie. boyracers! not sure about the money end of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

Greenes took an old car off me a few years ago. They collected the car at my house. I got an end of life cert and a cheque for €100 (I think). This was before scrap metal prices went through the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

There is increasing money in this, but you are obliged to use recognised guys. I would be looking for at least €170 for a real banger. Scrap metal has gone through the roof some much that power lines now appear to be a risky but worthwhile option. There is the guy in Ballybofey and Greenes in Letterkenny, I think McDaids in St Johnston have end of life status but they are more interested in breaking which might work out better if the car has worthwhile parts.

My advice is use a recognised one but get paid for it. They usually weigh the vehicle and any car fetches more than €100

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

To maximise your return:

1. Advertise the car as breaking for parts and sell anything you can from the vehicle.
    2. Take the remainder of the car to a scrap merchant. You will get the best price near the docks in Derry as they have less transport costs (being already situated at the docks).
    3. Remove the cat and sell separate to McElhinney Metal Recycling at Bonagee, Letterkenny.

Advertisement