Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord trouble

Options
  • 03-11-2011 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

I moved into an apartment nearly 1 month ago when i moved in i found the washing machine and waterpump where not working she got them fixed but now i found the mattress and carpet in the bedroom smell really bad and want them changed she said she can not afford to do this. what can i do? Im due to pay rent tomorrow and i feel like not paying can i do that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭keithzer

Or how would i go about getting deposit back

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Have you signed a lease for a year or do you just pay per month?

Roselm wrote: »
    Have you signed a lease for a year or do you just pay per month?
    I signed for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

let me get this,, you moved into an apt one month ago, washing machine broke and landlord fixed this.thats grand. then you found that the mattress you slept in for a month and the carpet you walked on for a month was smelly?? are you for real? why would the LL buy you a new bed? by all means ,if you want ,you go and buy a bed but i think your pushing it asking the LL and threatening not to pay your rent .your in a contract mate .. what else wont be to your liking in 6 months time,new bins as the old ones are smelly.. you have a responsibility to maintain the place to a good standard, you aint living in a hotel.. pay your rent

hawkelady wrote: »
    let me get this,, you moved into an apt one month ago, washing machine broke and landlord fixed this.thats grand. then you found that the mattress you slept in for a month and the carpet you walked on for a month was smelly?? are you for real? why would the LL buy you a new bed? by all means ,if you want ,you go and buy a bed but i think your pushing it asking the LL and threatening not to pay your rent .your in a contract mate .. what else wont be to your liking in 6 months time,new bins as the old ones are smelly.. you have a responsibility to maintain the place to a good standard, you aint living in a hotel.. pay your rent
    At the start i tought it was just the carpet it was really smelly like piss i asked could i lift the other day and she said ok but i still have a smell its off the bed. I dont want to move i just want to have a nice comfortable house

• Advertisement

you still slept on it for a month,, sure you can get cheap new beds nowadays ..i believe the only way you will be happy living there is you put your own touch in it.... the LL has to repair broken washing machines etc, but they dont have to buy you stuff if you dont like it or it smells.

you still slept on it for a month,, sure you can get cheap new beds nowadays ..i believe the only way you will be happy living there is you put your own touch in it.... the LL has to repair broken washing machines etc, but they dont have to buy you stuff if you dont like it or it smells.
    Thank you for the info ill look into getting a bed and carpet myself

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭davemc180

keithzer wrote: »
    Thank you for the info ill look into getting a bed and carpet myself

hawkelady sounds like a landlord...:rolleyes:

tell the landlord your no happy with the condition of the room, tell the landlord the smell is still there even after they gave you permission to lift the carpet.. if they were agreeing with you about the smell and said they couldnt afford to replace it then they are admitting liability

tell them youll get a new bed and whats needed but they can adjust the rent as its not down to you to replace furnishing unless you caused the damage

you do have rights as a tenant

• Administrators Posts: 53,803 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Er, if the landlord provides a bed and the property is advertised as furnished then it's not unreasonable to expect the furniture provided (that you are paying for in your rent) to be in a decent condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

awec wrote: »
    Er, if the landlord provides a bed and the property is advertised as furnished then it's not unreasonable to expect the furniture provided (that you are paying for in your rent) to be in a decent condition.
    That is why you go look at the place before renting. A lot comes down to opinion. It took him a month to notice there was a probalem suggests the problem isn't as bad as he now states it is.

I would listen to the tenant and try and accomadate them but ultimate the LL doesn't have to. It works both ways as shown in another thread. If the LL doesn't catch something on inspection returns the deposit they aren't really able to do anything. If a tenant accepts the place after the inspection and then starts complaining about certain things it is pretty much tough luck. It isn't like the bed is faulty or he didn't see the carpet.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,803 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    That is why you go look at the place before renting. A lot comes down to opinion. It took him a month to notice there was a probalem suggests the problem isn't as bad as he now states it is.

I would listen to the tenant and try and accomadate them but ultimate the LL doesn't have to. It works both ways as shown in another thread. If the LL doesn't catch something on inspection returns the deposit they aren't really able to do anything. If a tenant accepts the place after the inspection and then starts complaining about certain things it is pretty much tough luck. It isn't like the bed is faulty or he didn't see the carpet.
    Absolutely.

It also sounds like he doesn't need a new bed but rather just a replacement mattress.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭alibaba12

as far as I am aware the LL is supposed to change the matress for every new tennant. check out with the PRTB or Threshold. The LL should ensure that things are in good repair. If there was urine in the matress/carpet then this isnt good repair and you shouldnt have to replace these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

alibaba12 wrote: »
    as far as I am aware the LL is supposed to change the matress for every new tennant. check out with the PRTB or Threshold. The LL should ensure that things are in good repair. If there was urine in the matress/carpet then this isnt good repair and you shouldnt have to replace these things.

LOL, a new mattress each time. No one could afford that.

How does the LL the tenant didn't do this, if they didn't report it when they moved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hi OP!

Are you entirely confident its the mattress ? or carpet? Do you have an ensuite? The smell of damp that can accrue here can lead to a damp 'pissy' like smell.

I would go about giving the bathroom a good clean and insure to bleach all the drains both Sink and Shower. Had a flatmate with a similar issue from his ensuite before so ended up leaving the window open alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭SligoLady

as far as I am aware the LL is supposed to change the matress for every new tennant.

That's absurd! Do you expect a hotel to replace the mattress for every new guest too?

You should get 10 years out of a decent mattress but in my experience, most mattresses in rental properties are cheap and cheerful and generally get 5 years use. If it is really smelly, worn and stained, I would ask for a new one but things like this always comes down to opinion.

SligoLady wrote: »
    That's absurd! Do you expect a hotel to replace the mattress for every new guest too?

You should get 10 years out of a decent mattress but in my experience, most mattresses in rental properties are cheap and cheerful and generally get 5 years use. If it is really smelly, worn and stained, I would ask for a new one but things like this always comes down to opinion.

I didnt say that I was sure of this, I said it was only as far as I know. Before you jump down somebodys throat again suggest you read their posts properly.

Also a hotel shouldnt have stinking carpets or matresses; if they do they shouldnt be trading. In the OP's case If the matress & carpet are urine soaked then the LL would have to replace as they are not in good repair hence the reason I said to the OP to ctc the PRTB or Threshold.

BostonB wrote: »
    LOL, a new mattress each time. No one could afford that.

How does the LL the tenant didn't do this, if they didn't report it when they moved in.

As said I didnt say I was entirely sure so suggested to OP to ctc PRTB or Threshold to find out where he/she stands.

If the matress/carpets are filthy and what not then yes they should be changed. I moved into a place 2.5 years ago (still there) but there was stuff I didnt notice till after I had moved in and scrubed the place. My LL was very understanding of these issues & made the repairs as we werent being unreasonable.

As said I didnt say I was entirely sure so suggested to OP to ctc PRTB or Threshold to find out where he/she stands.

If the matress/carpets are filthy and what not then yes they should be changed. I moved into a place 2.5 years ago (still there) but there was stuff I didnt notice till after I had moved in and scrubed the place. My LL was very understanding of these issues & made the repairs as we werent being unreasonable.
    Well people jumped down your throat becasue you made a pretty silly statement. What did you base the concept on? It just sounds laughable.

As stated a lot comes down to opinion and in this case even a sense of smell. I hate the smell of air freshners and they often smell like urine to me.

The standard of being "clean" or "smelly" is a general subjective thing and pretty much to the discretion of the LL when it comes to the finer details. A rented place is by no means comparable to a hotel, vastly different standards should be applied. The smell descibed is by no means the same as saying items have been urine soaked. Smoking can casue a similar smell as is the most likely casue IMHO. Bare in mind the LL has probably spent less time in the property than the tenant has at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭SligoLady

Well people jumped down your throat becasue you made a pretty silly statement. What did you base the concept on? It just sounds laughable.

This is what I was going to say hence my hotel comment, it's a laughable concept.
    [QUOTE=Ray Palmer;75295689
    Smoking can casue a similar smell as is the most likely casue IMHO. [/QUOTE]

I'd agree with this, I just removed a really old mattress from a family members home which absolutely stank in a wee like way but it wasn't wee, it was because the owner was a really heavy smoker and smoked in bed all the time. Because he was the smoker and slept on the mattress every night, he didn't notice the smell whereas the smell of the mattress made me gag. Again, it's down to each persons perception and opinion.

As stated a lot comes down to opinion and in this case even a sense of smell. I hate the smell of air freshners and they often smell like urine to me.

The standard of being "clean" or "smelly" is a general subjective thing and pretty much to the discretion of the LL when it comes to the finer details. A rented place is by no means comparable to a hotel, vastly different standards should be applied. The smell descibed is by no means the same as saying items have been urine soaked. Smoking can casue a similar smell as is the most likely casue IMHO. Bare in mind the LL has probably spent less time in the property than the tenant has at this point.

Its actually not that laughable; my mother happens to be LL and does this each time a new tennant moves in; if nothing its hygenic & it also keeps the tennants happy; so jumping down my throat does nothing but make you sound like you have a chip on your shoulder about something;

Its not really a matter of opinion if there is a smell of urine or the place is dirty in terms of matress/carpets then LL should have had the place cleaned & items replaced. The LL should have inspected before the tennant moved in and done a full & proper clean up unless the LL is doesnt have good hygiene standards.

• Advertisement

SligoLady wrote: »
    This is what I was going to say hence my hotel comment, it's a laughable concept.

I'd agree with this, I just removed a really old mattress from a family members home which absolutely stank in a wee like way but it wasn't wee, it was because the owner was a really heavy smoker and smoked in bed all the time. Because he was the smoker and slept on the mattress every night, he didn't notice the smell whereas the smell of the mattress made me gag. Again, it's down to each persons perception and opinion.

Hotels are completely different they are not somewhere you intend to make your home

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Its actually not that laughable; my mother happens to be LL and does this each time a new tennant moves in; if nothing its hygenic & it also keeps the tennants happy; so jumping down my throat does nothing but make you sound like you have a chip on your shoulder about something;

Its not really a matter of opinion if there is a smell of urine or the place is dirty in terms of matress/carpets then LL should have had the place cleaned & items replaced. The LL should have inspected before the tennant moved in and done a full & proper clean up unless the LL is doesnt have good hygiene standards.

The OP didnt mention a smell or urine when they moved in, they are complaining after a month. So you cant speculate on the circumstances. to be fair.

As i stated this could be a moisture related smell that can be rectified. Bearing in mind again that the tenant has been there a month already...

listermint wrote: »
    The OP didnt mention a smell or urine when they moved in, they are complaining after a month. So you cant speculate on the circumstances. to be fair.

As i stated this could be a moisture related smell that can be rectified. Bearing in mind again that the tenant has been there a month already...

I am not saying its not what you have suggested; but as said I didnt notice certain things in my place until a while after I had moved in; the OP mentioned they thought it was the carpet but now suspect the bed; only way to tell is to have a really good sniff of both I guess and also check out your suggestion too

I think theres a world of a difference between noticing something like this, a few hours or even a couple of days later. But a month! Even if you accept this as being reasonable. There is no way the LL can know the current tenant didn't cause it.

Of courses theres no harm in asking the LL. Perhaps they are aware they weren't great and is planning to change them anyway.

Also perhaps its something that missed by the LL on their inspection on the last tenant leaving. If they got immediate notice from a new tenant of problems they may still have the previous tenant deposit. Leaving it a month to report, means the LL is going to be unsuccessful trying to get money from the previous tenant.

BostonB wrote: »
    I think theres a world of a difference between noticing something like this, a few hours or even a couple of days later. But a month! Even if you accept this as being reasonable. There is no way the LL can know the current tenant didn't cause it.

Of courses theres no harm in asking the LL. Perhaps they are aware they weren't great and is planning to change them anyway.

Also perhaps its something that missed by the LL on their inspection on the last tenant leaving. If they got immediate notice from a new tenant of problems they may still have the previous tenant deposit. Leaving it a month to report, means the LL is going to be unsuccessful trying to get money from the previous tenant.

I understand what you are saying yes its questionable on the OP's part and if there was a smell that bad it should have been raised with the LL sooner than a month after move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Pushing it because you want to sleep in a bed that doesnt smell? Its not like they were done a huge favour by getting the washing machine fixed. The landlord should not really be renting with smelly beds.

Pushing it because you want to sleep in a bed that doesnt smell? Its not like they were done a huge favour by getting the washing machine fixed. The landlord should not really be renting with smelly beds.

If it took a tenant a month of sleeping in the bed to notice, how is the LL meant to notice it?

jam, if you could read the op post properly before replying would be a start, the op slept in said bed for 30 nights before he/she has decided to raise this issue with LL, If he raised it with him when he viewed it, fair enough,he would have a case.. but one month after,come on.. and as fixing the washing machine and calling it a "favour".. The LL fixed it cause its the LL responibility to fix it but it aint the LL responibility to come running cause a tenant wants something new after 1 month or longer down the road.. When you view a place, you should really nail everything down with the LL asap. op,by all means ask the LL for a new mattress but he has the right to say no as you did sleep in it for a month before realising there is a smell in it!!

Yeah still laughable the concept a matress should be replace once a year as is common for tenancies. Your mother is adding massive extra expense to her renting and also adding to pollution.

I didn't jump down your throat but your opinion is subjective. Considering it took the tenant a month to notice how do you reckon the LL is going to spot it? It is your opinion that smell is not a matter of opinion which proves it is:D

• Advertisement

Yeah still laughable the concept a matress should be replace once a year as is common for tenancies. Your mother is adding massive extra expense to her renting and also adding to pollution.

I didn't jump down your throat but your opinion is subjective. Considering it took the tenant a month to notice how do you reckon the LL is going to spot it? It is your opinion that smell is not a matter of opinion which proves it is:D

Did I say once a year; oh no I didnt; I said everytime there is new tennant! which is every 2 or 3 years and its not massive expense.

Your last part makes no sense. I said that the LL would have been able to smell it if they did a proper clean also the tennant should have smelled it if it was that bad; personally I wouldnt have been able to sleep in place that had a "pissy" smell especially if it was off the bed.

Advertisement