Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in California

Options
  • 03-11-2011 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a bit of info on the general living standards and lifestyle of California from folks who moved from Ireland, although all input from where ever you're from is welcome. Just the general gist, the people, attitudes, work, you're experience in general. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

California is a big place. Whereabouts specifically do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Apparently (from people I know living there) it's expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Ahhhhh...L.A.

this vid gives some visual scope of the place (disguised as excuse to play track ) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

I lived in LA for about 8 months, at that time there was plenty of work but to what I hear there isn't now.

California in general is a beautiful place and as americans go they are pretty laid back, the climate is fantastic, so are the beaches. But you really need a car, LA is just to big a sprawl as is most Californian cities. I travelled around a bit, San Francisco is great, so is Santa Barbara.

To be honest unless you have a saleable skill, I wouldn't go now, but good luck in whatever you decide.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Paradise if you're well off.

Hellish if poor.

Kinda Stepford-esque if middle class.

Generalising to a huge degree, have you a location in mind?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from AH.
    I loved San Francisco and hated San Diego. I guess it's all about where you go and what you like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

California is currently experiencing double-digit recession (when around 5% would be normal, it's now over twice as high), so finding gainful employment may be challenging. I would recommend not moving here without a job offer in writing from an employer.

Picturesque cities like San Francisco have one of the highest cost-of-living indexes in the nation.

The City of Oakland has significant civil protest and unrest by the Occupy Oakland movement in the past few weeks.

It is recommend that you look at the cost-of-living indexes, median household real estate and rental costs, as well as the crime indexes for California cities before considering them as a future residence. Some cities are very safe (but expensive), while others we call "war zones" populated by gangs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Thanks, simply keeping my eyes open to what may seem like an ideal location without having to learn another language....pffff. So I thought id see how high I could aim :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Lifestyle is fantastic, I live in the Bay Area and the weather is pretty unreal nearly year round. If you are into outdoor sports and activities then it is ideal, you also have ski resort only a couple of hours away.
    Always concerts and events year round.
    If you are coming without any specific job skill you will always pick something up in construction or a bar, it would help a lot if you had contacts, well being honest it would be a big risk not having anything lined up at all. You can earn good money if you get lucky.
    Cost of living is pretty expensive but wages are higher compared to most places but rent and such can be pretty outrageous especially if you are older and want a decent place to live.
    Just cant beat the lifestyle though, sitting by a pool in November...

• Advertisement
Advertisement