Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High African population in Dundalk

Options
  • 03-11-2011 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

There seems to be a high African population in Dundalk.
    Does anyone know why this is?
    I mean why are so many Africans attracted to living in Dundalk as opposed to other Irish towns?
    I remember during the Celtic Tiger boom years there was a high population of Polish in Dundalk, but they seem to have mainly returned now.
    The closure of Polish shops in the town tells a story, as does the increase in African food and hair shops.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Maybe they think its a nice place to live, full of friendly folk like yourself IBTL

• Registered Users Posts: 40 befriend1

Well said! You should be delighted :) In Bray we have a large population of Asian people and I think it brings some much needed diversity to the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Maybe they think its a nice place to live, full of friendly folk like yourself IBTL
    Why a lock? Nothing wrong with the query.

OP I believe it could be to do with our proximity to Belfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

MugMugs wrote: »
    Why a lock? Nothing wrong with the query.

OP I believe it could be to do with our proximity to Belfast.

There isn't a sizeable African population in Belfast.
    I think the main reason is that Carrol Village is an Asylum Centre; and therefore Africans are housed there in large numbers awaiting processing.

You are quite right; Dundalk is full of friendly folk.
    You don't know me though, so I would not be so quick to pass judgement on if I am friendly or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭The Davestator

There seems to be a high African population in Dundalk.
    Does anyone know why this is?
    I mean why are so many Africans attracted to living in Dundalk as opposed to other Irish towns?
    I remember during the Celtic Tiger boom years there was a high population of Polish in Dundalk, but they seem to have mainly returned now.
    The closure of Polish shops in the town tells a story, as does the increase in African food and hair shops.

You made it into the 'You laugh you lose' thread over on after hours - well done.

You made it into the 'You laugh you lose' thread over on after hours - well done.

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Your welcome. :cool::cool:

Honest question, do you have a problem with Foreigners (:p) coming and living in your town?

CMpunked wrote: »
    Your welcome. :cool::cool:

Honest question, do you have a problem with Foreigners (:p) coming and living in your town?

Honest answer, no.
    Dundalk is not my town. It is the town in which I choose to live. If I did not like it, then I would choose to live in another town.
    I am a foreigner myself (hence the username; Johnny Foreigner).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

I think the main reason is that Carrol Village is an Asylum Centre; and therefore Africans are housed there in large numbers awaiting processing.
    Source ??

• Advertisement

Source ??

East Coast Catering provides management, security and maintenance services in the Carroll Village Centre for the asylum seekers, the biggest number of whom, 47 are natives of Nigeria, there are 14 from Angola, 10 from Pakistan, 10 from Israel and the remainder are from a wide spectrum of African and European countries. The 181 include 31 children born to the asylum seekers while they were in Ireland.

Don't take my word for it though.
    Here is the source:
    http://www.argus.ie/frontpage/village-people-593804.html

6.2 year old link !!
    I will post you the truth tomorrow JF.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

MugMugs wrote: »
    ...OP I believe it could be to do with our proximity to Belfast.
    There isn't a sizeable African population in Belfast...

Johnny, I think what Mugs meant was that many people entered this country via the UK, travelling through Britain to reach the Scottish ferryports, thence to Northern Ireland and by train or bus south from Belfast.
    Dundalk was the first stop after the border for those people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

There is a lot more cultural diversity in almost every town in Ireland.

I did not think Dundalk had an above average number but I do stand to be corrected.

Drogheda I would have assumed would have a higher percentage due to Mosney being a centre for housing.

Are they all asyulm seekers? I know a few Nigerians who are here for a long time and work and to the best of my knowledge they get no more benefits than a native would.

in 2008/9 the immigrarion crowd made a deal with all the landlords in carroll village.
    carrol village appartments to be let exclusivly for the people that were living therin.indexed linked rent renewals.it is not an asylum seeker centre,that is somewere else- but it was in the past. it may seem to be some kind of ghetto but that is just a white taxi-driver driven load off siht.it is actualy just like any other street or area in dundalk or ireland anywhere.

Advertisement