Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion on snow/ice this year.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

god lads we get a little dusting of snow and ye complain like little girls, i personally love anything that breaks the monotony of rain and wind.....and misery

It's not the weather. It's how our state copes with it which is the problem.

I've travelled widely and seen how countries like Croatia and Finland cope with ice and snow. It's a big difference. Croatia is very mountainous and during winter all those dangerous looking small mountain roads and channels from Zagreb in the North to the coast in the south were totally cleared out and gritted. Same thing in Finland. Nobody was slipping and breaking a hip in Helsinki.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭GaelMonfils

anything that sends this country flying onto its arsehole makes me all warm fuzzy and cuddly inside. Love the commotion the cold snowy weather brings.

Deaths and misery. True. But so does drinking. And i love that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

anything that sends this country flying onto its arsehole makes me all warm fuzzy and cuddly inside. Love the commotion the cold snowy weather brings.

Deaths and misery. True. But so does drinking. And i love that too.
    Good Lord save us all :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Alan b.

Fbjm wrote: »
    "A little dusting"... there were five deaths last year. Cop on.

there was a lot more then 5 deaths in fairness so 5 due to snow is not really a lot. how many of them where down to stupiddity though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Alan b. wrote: »
    there was a lot more then 5 deaths in fairness so 5 due to snow is not really a lot. how many of them where down to stupiddity though?

If memory serves, they were all elderly people attempting to scrape their yard to clear the ice. So, unless that's stupid, then none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

why blame that on snow, if anything blame crappy driving, houses that arnt insulated properly, the recession etc.

and yes we get a "dusting" of snow compared to a whole lot of other countries, and as some else rightly pointed out its how our state deals with any sort of extreme weather that makes it all seem worse than it actually is

If memory serves, they were all elderly people attempting to scrape their yard to clear the ice. So, unless that's stupid, then none.

so would i be right in saying that they slipped and fell and thats how they died or something else???

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

WTF is wrong with ye all, I'd kill for all year round rain! So sick of this stupid snow, can't afford ****ing snow tyres like half ye yuppies and I don't have 4WD..... WOOP DEE DOO! soo I'll have to slide around! Can't bloody wait! Not!! Seriously Do ye really love the snow and ice that much!!!???????

YeS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!***************** :):):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

so would i be right in saying that they slipped and fell and thats how they died or something else???

You would be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

why blame that on snow, if anything blame crappy driving, houses that arnt insulated properly, the recession etc.

and yes we get a "dusting" of snow compared to a whole lot of other countries, and as some else rightly pointed out its how our state deals with any sort of extreme weather that makes it all seem worse than it actually is
    Because it WAS due to the snow. I guess it's more fun to scapegoat people though than an inanimate object - and blaming seems to give lots of folk a hard-on.
    And it wasn't a dusting - it was severe compared to what we're used to, doesn't make a difference where you compare it to. I remember a Polish girl being shocked by it. Presume you weren't affected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

and yes we get a "dusting" of snow compared to a whole lot of other countries

And heavy snow compared to many more.

and as some else rightly pointed out its how our state deals with any sort of extreme weather that makes it all seem worse than it actually is
    If the state deals badly with it, then it is as bad as it seems.

Dudess wrote: »
    Because it WAS due to the snow. I guess it's more fun to scapegoat people though than an inanimate object - and blaming seems to give lots of folk a hard-on.
    And it wasn't a dusting - it was severe compared to what we're used to, doesn't make a difference where you compare it to. I remember a Polish girl being shocked by it. Presume you weren't affected?

had to travel to work, dealt with it by driving a whole lot more carefully, how can we blame weather? its not like we can do anything about it, it was a dusting just go to north america/canada/finland/alps/russia etc. and you will see proper snow.

as for what we are prepared for :D the only thing the irish state is prepared for is light rain and wind thats it

You would be.

without taking away from the fact they where people and are now dead,

i'm hazard a guess that they died BECAUSE THEY WHERE OLD rather then BECAUSE IT SNOWED,

meaning, if they where young, they would have got back up and shrugged it off.
    the same way that 2 people could slip on a wet step or because of rain on a railing making it slippy.

The Irish climate is mostly very moderate though - extreme conditions are rare. Not everyone who had a skid was driving crappily either.

The Irish climate is mostly very moderate though - extreme conditions are rare. Not everyone who had a skid was driving crappily either.

skidding once or twice, no, but causing massive crashes because of it or constantly sliding all over the place, over shooting junctions, bumping into other cars etc etc does.

yeah we just arnt prepared for anything that deviates from mild and wet tbh, hopefully if it does get chilly this winter the new government will be more competent :rolleyes: sure they did a great job with the rain haha although to be fair that was some amount of rain we got

Well at least you're not calling it a bit of rain! :p
    You would be.

without taking away from the fact they where people and are now dead,

i'm hazard a guess that they died BECAUSE THEY WHERE OLD rather then BECAUSE IT SNOWED,

meaning, if they where young, they would have got back up and shrugged it off.
    the same way that 2 people could slip on a wet step or because of rain on a railing making it slippy.
    In fairness, the snow set the ball rolling.

Well at least you're not calling it a bit of rain! :p

In fairness, the snow set the ball rolling.

:D yeah we didnt get hit half as bad in kerry as up in dublin but it was still bad, not many places get rain that crazy id say (odd rain forest or two undoubtedly),

sure ive known of old people that have fallen in the middle of summer (not saying much :D) and died, no disrespect but old people do tend to die

exactly, they could slip in their own piss on that lino they all seem to love.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

skidding once or twice, no, but causing massive crashes because of it or constantly sliding all over the place, over shooting junctions, bumping into other cars etc etc does.

Were you here for the weeks of snow we had in nov, dec and jan, did you drive everyday in it?
    From memory one person died in mayo,slipped going into their house and died from the cold and the same happened to a lady in galway.

hondasam wrote: »
    Were you here for the weeks of snow we had in nov, dec and jan, did you drive everyday in it?
    From memory one person died in mayo,slipped going into their house and died from the cold and the same happened to a lady in galway.

i mountain biked in it :D sure what was the lowest it got here last year, -10? a proper set of winter clothes would keep you warm in that, good insulation for the house, as for slipping its going to happen as long as water hits any slick surface, people just have to be more careful out there

Funny - I was being careful when I nearly got killed one morning. In a more comical context, I was being very careful when I kept landing on my arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

i mountain biked in it :D sure what was the lowest it got here last year, -10? a proper set of winter clothes would keep you warm in that, good insulation for the house, as for slipping its going to happen as long as water hits any slick surface, people just have to be more careful out there

-18 I think. If I did not have to travel 90 miles a day to work in it I would not care either. I cannot understand how everyone seem to have forgotten how bad it was.

Funny - I was being careful when I nearly got killed one morning. In a more comical context, I was being very careful when I kept landing on my arse.

yeah ice can do that, the more you tense up the worse things get with it, buy a nice set of hiking boots for winter :D probably just piss rain all winter long then haha

sure isnt -10 warm, it was probably -80c in antactica:pac:

-18 I think. If I did not have to travel 90 miles a day to work in it I would not care either. I cannot understand how everyone seem to have forgotten how bad it was.

maybe its just the upbeat kerry nature in me :D the roads where so bad because we didnt have enough grit nor machines to safely maintain them, hopefully the lads in charged learned their lesson from last year

robbie7730 wrote: »
    sure isnt -10 warm, it was probably -80c in antactica:pac:

some proper clothes and youl be like a pig in **** :D

Id say it was closer to that than -10 alright, had -15 here for a couple of days, mains water pipes into the houses froze in the ground for 2 weeks.

• Advertisement

drove in it every day yeah.
    100miles a day roughly, a mix of city, motorway, and country roads.
    drove a high powered rwd car (with a locked rear diff) for part of it too.
    no big deal. even drove up beyond newry and back collecting it on one of the worst nights on snowfall last year.

got stuck worse on the beach then i did in any of the snow we've had so far.

nobody is forgetting, just not whining about a bit of snow.

also spent time biking in it as it happens.
    mountain bike and motocross bike.

Advertisement