Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion on snow/ice this year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

whats his predictions for this year?

I heard him on some radio station last week and his prediction is that there will be no snow this month or December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

Did he give out the Lotto numbers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

lads it all depends on the jet stream.

at the moment i think its up bye, Scandinavia, as its snowing in the french alps, which means its no were near ireland hence the good weather..

If the the jet stream tales of towards Ireland, Which is possible we shall get snow :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Very mild next week with temperatures perhaps touching 17c on occasion. Pattern switch possible near last week in November.

My car was frozen this morning :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭parrai

Check the weather forum, here on boards, the gang there is very good with this kind of thing

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=374

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Can't believe more than half voted "Yes! I want the water supply to freeze and the environment to become much more dangerous for everyone because it looks pretty."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Can't believe more than half voted "Yes! I want the water supply to freeze and the environment to become much more dangerous for everyone because it looks pretty."

its just the boards snowbunnies who voted yes, which is probably 99 % percent of the people in ireland who dont hate snow, anyone who likes snow is a member on boards for some reason:Pi'd say around 99.9 % of irish people hate snow, all of my family, relatives,neighbours,friends,school staff,motorists,government everybody hates snow!but not me!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭WonderWoman!

Nor do I :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

There will be no snow this winter......you have my personal guarantee on that! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭WonderWoman!

by the looks of It i dont think we'll see a single flake :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

by the looks of It i dont think we'll see a single flake :D

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

COME AT ME SNOW

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I love snow. I love crunching through it, I love the way it turns my kitchen sink estate into a sparkling wonderland, I love practising my snow driving (and yes you can drive just fine on snow and ice if you know what you're at), I even love it when I slip and land squarely on my hole as I did last year, splitting my seams in the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

parrai wrote: »
    Check the weather forum, here on boards, the gang there is very good with this kind of thing

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=374

You do know that's a one man show??:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

I don't think its going to snow this year. Seems winter is late coming in compared to last year. Maybe in January or February as it might be colder than usual then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

Dreading it this year. Only driving since January so this will be my first year driving in the ice. live 20 minute from work it's got a lot of downhill and it's full of bad turns. Working all over christmas so cant just not drive.trying my best not to think of how i'm gonna manage not wrecking the car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

There is no guarantee of snow in Ireland. For some reason the unequivocal implication that there will be snow really irks me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Sheeps wrote: »
    Gonna be driving a rwd car to work in the snow for the first time this year if it snows.

Its grand, lob a couple of bags of sand in the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭aquarian_fire

Snow is something I liked as a child, when I didn't have to go places when it was there. Now that I have grown up and have places I need to be, it's a scary inconvenience. And cold. Very cold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

There is no guarantee of snow in Ireland. For some reason the unequivocal implication that there will be snow really irks me.

I know, right? Annoys me too. Just because we got it two years in a row. Two years does not a pattern make. :rolleyes:
    Snow is something I liked as a child, when I didn't have to go places when it was there. Now that I have grown up and have places I need to be, it's a scary inconvenience. And cold. Very cold.

This.

Plus, how crap must it be for the emergency services trying to get around in that weather?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

some snow is ok but not the crazy temperatures like we had last year. my pipes burts last year and dont want to have to go through anything like that again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I know, right? Annoys me too. Just because we got it two years in a row. Two years does not a pattern make. :rolleyes:

well we got it really bad last two years, but the year before that we got a fair bit of snow too well in dublin anyway. and irelands winters have cooled progressively over the last 5 years, so this may well be a trend of colder thanavg winters as we are supposed to be in a solar minumum or little ice age becuase of low solar activity which gives us more long cold snowy winters. another reason people think this winter will be bad is because many forecasters are predicting a very cold winter, not just because we got snowy winters the last 3 years.so there is good reason to believe this winter will be a bad one, people should be prepared !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

bb1234567 wrote: »
    well we got it really bad last two years, but the year before that we got a fair bit of snow too well in dublin anyway.

I was living in Dublin for Winter 2008/09, it was a TINY amount of snow, and only lasted a few days.

And in the West, the winters overall have been getting milder, when I was a child, we'd have a few major snow events every winter, then they stopped for years.

Seriously, climatology is a long-term science, no conclusions can yet be drawn about the last two winters.
    bb1234567 wrote: »
    another reason people think this winter will be bad is because many forecasters are predicting a very cold winter, not just because we got snowy winters the last 3 years.so there is good reason to believe this winter will be a bad one, people should be prepared !

Long term weather forecasts are complete ****, it's only possible to predict 3, MAYBE 5 days ahead realistically. Most long term weather forecasts I ever heard in my life have been wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I really hope the snow is as bad as last year and bunches of little sh1t-bags get to pelt cars sliding all over the place - shur it's not dangerous at all, just a bit of fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

f0ggy92 wrote: »
    Dreading it this year. Only driving since January so this will be my first year driving in the ice. live 20 minute from work it's got a lot of downhill and it's full of bad turns. Working all over christmas so cant just not drive.trying my best not to think of how i'm gonna manage not wrecking the car.
    Driving in the snow and ice is great fun, I don't know what everyone's problem is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

ScumLord wrote: »
    Driving in the snow and ice is great fun, I don't know what everyone's problem is.
    Yes you do.

Not everyone is a driving guru, and gets afraid when the risk of stuff like getting killed is upped.

Dudess wrote: »
    Not everyone is a driving guru, and gets afraid when the risk of stuff like getting killed is upped.

I would have thought (seriously btw) that the risk of being killed is probably lowered because everyone drives soooooooooo slllooooowwwww. The risk of your car being battered however, is certainly higher!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

Kiera wrote: »
    Hate the poxy snow, it can fúck right off this year!

Don't worry Kiera, it'll not snow this year. How the fcuk do you know I hear you ask. I'll tell you why becuase I live in Wicklow and last year for around 3 weeks we had no power no water no heat a limited supply of food and fags no booze no tv etc. So this year for super safety and cos the kids still hate me for not being prepared last year, I have invested in a generator a snow blower coal, gas, emergency food and water a four wheel drive vehicle an airport style de-icer a small microlight aircraft and 1000 fags. Thats how I know it wont fcuking snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I would have thought (seriously btw) that the risk of being killed is probably lowered because everyone drives soooooooooo slllooooowwwww. The risk of your car being battered however, is certainly higher!
    I was going to say but I thought I'd be stating the obvious. Minor tips are what you'll get, or stuck at the bottom of a hill but you just go into the nearest field and build a snowman until someone in a tractor drives by and saves you.

Advertisement