Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sydney airport connections on different tickets

Options
  • 03-11-2011 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi folks - my parents are flying to from Dublin to dunedin via Sydney. They fly into Sydney with ethiad and on to dunedin with pacific blue. The problem is that the airlines do not code share and so are separate tickets. A couple of questions:

1. I assume they cannot check bags all the way through to dunedin from Dublin as they are different tickets?
    2. If they need to collect bags and go landslide to check back in again at pacific blue desk I'm worried about how much time they'll need. Are emigration in Sydney long queues?
    3. Anyone done similar and if so Amy tips?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

1. I assume they cannot check bags all the way through to dunedin from Dublin as they are different tickets?
    you're assumption is correct
    2. If they need to collect bags and go landslide to check back in again at pacific blue desk I'm worried about how much time they'll need. Are emigration in Sydney long queues?
    Yes and no, there are two areas Emigration and customs, emigration seem okay, they are generally quick, but queues can be long during peak hour.
    Customs can be a nightmare, it's not like Ireland where customs is generally empty, in Oz everyone gets checked, generally they are okay, but of you end up with a plane from Asia in front of you can be a nightmare, as they scan all bags etc
    3. Anyone done similar and if so Amy tips?
    I'd go for a 4hr window

Also check if you need to apply for a visa - Generally transit doesn't need one, but because you have to go through customs, you may need a travel visa

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

hussey wrote: »
    Also check if you need to apply for a visa - Generally transit doesn't need one, but because you have to go through customs, you may need a travel visa

There's actually a transit visa for those situations.
    Weather or not you need on depends on the time you are waiting and if you are leavign the lounge to public area etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ReallyWiggy

Mellor wrote: »
    hussey wrote: »

There's actually a transit visa for those situations.
    Weather or not you need on depends on the time you are waiting and if you are leavign the lounge to public area etc.
    Thanks - they have 4 hours between flights and they'll have to go from airside to landside and back again - sounds like they need a visa - thanks

Advertisement