Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unlocking a phone

Options
  • 03-11-2011 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a phone that i recieved from my brother, but its locked to 3, i have contacted them and they say you need to have topped up by 130 euros, first of all i can't understand how they can get away with this?
    You don't sign a contract when you buy a prepay phone, is it not your property when you buy it, and therefore should you not be allowed do what you want with it??

Anyhow there has been about 60euro credit put in so it would cost me 70 to get meteor to do it, so my question is, can anyone recommend any good and trustworthy companies or websites that will give me unlock codes cheaper than the 70 euro.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

With bill pay phones and cheaper mid range prepay phones networks usually (but not always) subsidise the cost of the phone. Take the Samsung Europa for example:

Three offer it for 59€ (the 39€ offer is gone afaik), but Play.com sell it SIM free for ~145€ - http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4-/15847222/Samsung-I5500-Galaxy-Europa-Android-Sim-Free-Unlocked-Touch-Screen-Mobile-Phone/Product.html

Anyhow there has been about 60euro credit put in so it would cost me 70 to get meteor to do it, so my question is, can anyone recommend any good and trustworthy companies or websites that will give me unlock codes cheaper than the 70 euro.
    Could you name the phone?

If it's locked to Three I'm not sure how you can get Meteor credit to cover the difference, you'd have to get 130€ Three credit to get it unlocked afaik. I can't suggest any online code providers.

You may be better off just handing it into an unlocking shop. Unless it's really new or exotic it'll cost about 25€.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭JD81

Hi, thanks for your reply,

I understand they can do this with a bill pay phone as its not your property until the contract is served, but with a prepay phone that was bought and fully paid for? seems not right to me.

Its a sony ericsson E15i Xperia

Any shops you could recommend?

Thanks again for your help.

edit. sorry when i mentioned meteor above that was supposed to be three, i want to put my meteor card in it as i don't like threes coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I understand they can do this with a bill pay phone as its not your property until the contract is served, but with a prepay phone that was bought and fully paid for? seems not right to me.
    Once again, I have absolutely no idea. But with the example I showed you operators often take a loss on hardware so that they can sell you lots and lots of contracts/phone credit/consumables. This is the razor blade model, and like it or lump it we're stuck with it. You could buy the SIM-free model instead :(

I'm afraid can't really recommend a specific shop either. Usually internet cafés and many local businesses involved with mobile phones offer these services. You may want to ask people in your area.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

Advertisement