Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDonalds finally coming to Ballina

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

I was looking at the old Dean Wood Hotel recently, at it is in serious disrepair. It is a little unnoticeable in that it is off the road a good bit. Looked like it was well vandelised with a fire that did a lot of damage. A definite eye sore.

This development will be good. Any idea on who the franchisee is?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

They're demolishing the Deanwood? Man, that's the end of an era. Talk about a change of character!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭soterpisc

oscarBravo wrote: »
    They're demolishing the Deanwood? Man, that's the end of an era. Talk about a change of character!

What era... I am 10 years in Ballina and Deanwood is derelict building.. What Character?... Are you suggesting it should be reopened as a hotel (Ballina really does not ANOTHER hotel...;-).

I am glad there is some development in Ballina. The Penneys store was a great asset compared to what was there prior and McDonalds is miles better that the delerlict building that's there now. I don't think Ballina is really in a Possible to be refusing jobs and development.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Dude - if you're going to argue with me, read what I've written and argue with that, rather than what you've assumed I must have meant.

I'm not opposed to development, and I'm not suggesting anything. I'm pointing out that the Deanwood has been there for a very long time - a lot longer than ten years - and that a McDonalds will be a change of character. It's just an observation, calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

Indeed it will be good to see it demolished and rebuilt. I agree with you Oscar Bravo. The Deanwood was many a young persons stomping ground in the 80s early 90s. Pearls and Sgt Peppers (pampers) was where I spent many a great Saturday night. Great stories would be told if those walls could talk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I love this thread, makes me feel a lot younger (than ye lot anyway!)

It'll be interesting to see if they get the planning, there were objections thrown up when Apache Pizza tried to move in - hopefully this goes ahead though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

I hope this goes ahead for the local jobs it will create - although it could be at the expense of the closure of other local fast food shops.

However, I have always despaired at the opening another McD's because of the knock on damage to peoples health and subsequent long term loading onto the health services.

The company makes a fortune worldwide but are large contributers to a nations poor health. I reckon they should be made to pay a health tax plus a hefty annual payment for street cleaning.

TT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

TopTec wrote: »
    I hope this goes ahead for the local jobs it will create - although it could be at the expense of the closure of other local fast food shops.

However, I have always despaired at the opening another McD's because of the knock on damage to peoples health and subsequent long term loading onto the health services.

The company makes a fortune worldwide but are large contributers to a nations poor health. I reckon they should be made to pay a health tax plus a hefty annual payment for street cleaning.

TT

Well I purposely go to Castlebar or Longford to bring kids to McDonalds. In 10 years I have only eaten once in Supermacs (and never again).

Also McDonalds has a strong relationship with Coca-Cola and with a Cola-Cola plant in the town its about time we had a McDonalds. I won't be there everyday, but once a month I will get my McBreakfast and coffee and read the newspaper!! Oh the luxury.

Anyway local take-aways won't suffer on my account because of McDonalds as I have never used any of them except Everest (which I will continue to use)

TopTec wrote: »

The company makes a fortune worldwide but are large contributers to a nations poor health. I reckon they should be made to pay a health tax plus a hefty annual payment for street cleaning. TT

I guarantee you 100% that McDonalds are a lot healthier than any of the local fast food joints. Curry Chips won't be sold there anyway :-) .

Also how may of the local take-aways offer a salad? Its all about choices. I would never use McDonalds on a regular basis. But once a month bring the kids to local cinema and to Mcdonalds I think that's a healthy Balance.

as for Street cleaning. You have hit an important point!!!! Whats with Ballina and the litter anyway? FGS sunday morning at 7am and the place is covered with take-way cartons ??

oscarBravo wrote: »

You can have first call on the disco ball if you want.....;)

Pearls - where sensations begin!

This could be the start of a whole new thread.........

• Advertisement

Pearls for the girls - free in before 10 on a Tuesday night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭My_left_leg

My_Left_Leg banned for continual trolling.

Pearls wasn't where sensations began......it was another night club around that time.

Any guesses on the name of the club "where sensations begin"

Orgasms??

:D

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

finisklin wrote: »
    Pearls wasn't where sensations began......it was another night club around that time.

Any guesses on the name of the club "where sensations begin"
    Tingles?

Candles? Chaplins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

Mcdonalds will have the same problems argos, boots and tesco had... Small businesses are always opposed to new developments bt argos really gave castlebar a new shopping district and ballina keeps missing out on these employment opportunities.

lestat21 wrote: »
    Mcdonalds will have the same problems argos, boots and tesco had... Small businesses are always opposed to new developments bt argos really gave castlebar a new shopping district and ballina keeps missing out on these employment opportunities.

Are there any businesses opposing Mcdonalds in Ballina?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

This is terrible news, there's no way I'm going to be able to resist the lure of the golden arches when I'm driving back from enniscrone in the dead of winter :o

Boots have had their permission granted subject to conditions.

• Advertisement

Tingles - Where sensations begin! Slightly off topic, what the heck!

Have to say that the junction is a good family restaurant and have eaten there on a number of occasions recently. In fairness, I don't get out much so really enjoyed their grub, service etc. They even have the real potato chips not like the soya fries from McDonalds!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Be very careful. Remember what happened when McD's arrived in Africa

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bifl

I love this thread, makes me feel a lot younger (than ye lot anyway!)

It'll be interesting to see if they get the planning, there were objections thrown up when Apache Pizza tried to move in - hopefully this goes ahead though.

I hope they get it to be honest, not that I will frequent it all that often but more to prove to me that an enterprise like this can actually get a presence/planning in the town.

Ballina for its size is somewhat of a commercial oddity, there seems to be a distinct lack of what I suppose you would call 'chain' stores here. Even a smaller town like Swinford now has a Tesco that we are here could do with. I'm not getting into the pros and cons of that just saying our main supermarkets for instance here in town are somewhat underwhelming !!! (where are you supposed to get your Weetabix organic :P )

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

bifl wrote: »
    I hope they get it to be honest, not that I will frequent it all that often but more to prove to me that an enterprise like this can actually get a presence/planning in the town.

Ballina for its size is somewhat of a commercial oddity, there seems to be a distinct lack of what I suppose you would call 'chain' stores here. Even a smaller town like Swinford now has a Tesco that we are here could do with. I'm not getting into the pros and cons of that just saying our main supermarkets for instance here in town are somewhat underwhelming !!! (where are you supposed to get your Weetabix organic :P )

There is a tesco in Ballina though?

There is but it's not as good as the Swinford and Castlebar shops - they are supposed to be extending the current shop right back into Ballina Mineral Water so we should have a decent one eventually.

There is but it's not as good as the Swinford and Castlebar shops - they are supposed to be extending the current shop right back into Ballina Mineral Water so we should have a decent one eventually.

It will take decades.. The Tescos in Claremorris, Swinford, Castlebar, Westport are great with the Easy parking and large stores.

Both Tesco and D. Stores in Ballina are not easy to navigate, Prefer Tesco as its easy to park outside in the evenings.

Was chatting to one of the Managers in Tesco's the other day - they seem to think it will all happen in the near future rather than medium or long term.

TT

I think they're going to build an underground car park for it, though not 100% sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I think they're going to build an underground car park for it, though not 100% sure.

no mention on the planning app for that.

• Advertisement

It is mentioned here however. Cant find a current application for a new store though.

http://www.westernpeople.ie/news/eysnsnmhmh/

TT

Advertisement