Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDonalds finally coming to Ballina

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

TopTec wrote: »
    It is mentioned here however. Cant find a current application for a new store though.

http://www.westernpeople.ie/news/eysnsnmhmh/

TT

I thought you meant mcdonalds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

i heard a rumour that the chamber of commerce had decided not to let mcdonalds into ballina....??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Found out today that Tesco's planning application had been approved this week, with building to commence around Easter time!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Dogslife

Say's in Western this week two members of the town council have objected to McDonalds, same old story Ballina will never be able to move forward, develop or grow as a town with the people that are in charge to busy looking after their own pockets or pockets of friends of theirs. This would create jobs in construction plus employment once it is up and running!! By stopping McDonalds they are also stopping further businesses who would be availing of the other units to be built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭soterpisc

Dogslife wrote: »
    Say's in Western this week two members of the town council have objected to McDonalds, same old story Ballina will never be able to move forward, develop or grow as a town with the people that are in charge to busy looking after their own pockets or pockets of friends of theirs. This would create jobs in construction plus employment once it is up and running!! By stopping McDonalds they are also stopping further businesses who would be availing of the other units to be built.

unbelievable!!!!!.... I am not a big fan of McDonalds.. But FGS whats there now in the deanwood old hotel does not add one single euro to Ballina.. its a economic black hole to the community.

Business creates business.. putting barriers up does nothing.. Heard a guy in Coca Cola in Ballina say they have to go to Castlebar or Sligo to bring kids to McDonalds as Ballina does not have one.

Ballina town council needs to wake up or it will be left behind. I heard boots are tying to get into Ballina but local pharmacies are objecting to it.. So where to people go? Out of town to spend.

• Advertisement

Dogslife wrote: »

"Appalling" is how one councillor described it :confused::confused::confused: An excellant arguement that oozes articulation and foresight :rolleyes:

It really is vested interests with absolutely no thought that's running this town. How many pizzaria's are in the town, owned by non-Irish and staffed by non-Irish. Not that I've anything against them - I give them my fair share of business and, admitedly, I'd do the same if I were in their position but there are loads of them and they bring minimal employment to the locals. Healthwise, there's feck all difference between them and McD's and realistically they're only going to bring business and employment into town so I can't see any reasoning behind our ex-Mayor's comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

For the non Western People readers, who are the two "Progressive" councillors?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Crazy crazy decision. The OH is from Ballycastle so we would have stopped in on our way down on weekends, now we'll just sail on through.

finisklin wrote: »
    For the non Western People readers, who are the two "Progressive" councillors?

Aplolgies, Willie Nolan is claiming the "car park on Teeling street would be used as a rat run to access that development" while he does see the upside of having it there. Frances MdAndrew objected to the development and described it as "appalling". That's all that was mentioned as her contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭shaca

Will they never learn:rolleyes: You would think that these people would be happy to develop the town. They seem happy enough with the stupid bike lanes and the roundabout at Dunnes that have trucks hitting it everyday. :rolleyes: Jesus if you didn't laugh at it you'd spend your day crying. :mad:

• Advertisement

I know so many people whether in construction, or just unemployed and looking for work who would have jumped at this opportunity... We need more of a public outcry over this!! First Argos, and now this.. wonder how Boots application will go??

Aplolgies, Willie Nolan is claiming the "car park on Teeling street would be used as a rat run to access that development" while he does see the upside of having it there. Frances MdAndrew objected to the development and described it as "appalling". That's all that was mentioned as her contribution.

What Francis McAndrew!?? I voted for her. Did she really say that Mcdonalds would be "Appalling"? exactly how was this word said in what context?
    cllr-frances-mcandrew.jpg

and Willie Nolan?
    Willie.jpg

Real shame we put people in local government that do not support Local Business.

Anyone would prefer a Michelin Star restaurant to McDonalds. But the times we are in we should not be shutting doors to employment and development. What are McDonalds going to serve? Coke (made in Ballina) burgers probably from Irish beef. These councillors should take a long hard look before closing the doors to development.

lestat21 wrote: »
    I know so many people whether in construction, or just unemployed and looking for work who would have jumped at this opportunity... We need more of a public outcry over this!! First Argos, and now this.. wonder how Boots application will go??

Is someone seriously saying that Argos was denied access to Ballina??

No bloody wonder everyone at work goes to shop in Sligo and Castlebar!!!!!!!!!!!

My wife for years has been saying there is poor choice in Ballina and I have to drive her to Sligo for Boots/TK MAX etc..

soterpisc wrote: »
    What Francis McAndrew!?? I voted for her. Did she really say that Mcdonalds would be "Appalling"? exactly who was this word said in what context?

Please clarify highlighted area!

To quote my earlier post:
    ............. Frances MdAndrew objected to the development and described it as "appalling". That's all that was mentioned as her contribution.

No bloody wonder everyone at work goes to shop in Sligo and Castlebar!!!!!!!!!!!

My wife for years has been saying there is poor choice in Ballina and I have to drive her to Sligo for Boots/TK MAX etc..

I think they were trying to get into Shaws when that was opening (I might be wrong) but it was objected to at the time. I don't know about Castlebar - Sligo a far better town to get around and a better selection of shops, IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

It would be great to get a councillor/politician on to these forums for a Q&A session as to why Ballina has been stymied. IMHO, much of the town's woe's is down to infrastructure and vested interests. The former more than the latter but MCC emphasis on Castlebar and the improvement of that town's accessibility meant that Ballina's appeal to a wider shopping public was marginalised.

McDonalds would be a welcome addition to the town plus the Deanwood is a ghastly eye sore as it is at the moment.

Ahh if i remember correctly ballina was argos' first choice b4 castlebar... Mum still complains bout it and I dont blame her!! because when argos went to castlebar a whole new shopping district kinda opened around it... we could use that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

lestat21 wrote: »
    Ahh if i remember correctly ballina was argos' first choice b4 castlebar... Mum still complains bout it and I dont blame her!! because when argos went to castlebar a whole new shopping district kinda opened around it... we could use that

Business is Business.... Shutting the doors on competition in Ballina is bad for Ballina.

Its an absolute disgrace that this happened.

Yes there is now a whole shopping district aground argos in Castlebar, Just thing about it you can park in Tesco carpart and go to about 5 good shops, Argos, Aldi, Tesco, Next, Homebase.

What a load of ancient lamentors we have on the council in Ballina.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

The deanwood in its heyday was a beautiful sight with well maintained gardens, gorgeous restaraunt, and all that went with it out behind after hours. At this stage regardless of what franchise is interested in it, it should be demolished anyway..such an eyesore.
    Theres a photo here not long before it fell into disrepair.
    http://www.tcdlife.ie/clubs/swimming/Photos/Events/Ballina/index1.php

So. Does anyone know if the Planning permission was granted? A decision was due yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭captainwang

Refused according to http://www.ballinatc.ie/ :mad:

• Advertisement

Do you have a direct link to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bifl

http://www.mayococo.ie/PlanSearch/mcc4/PlanningViewer/BNAdisplayafile.asp?filenum=113125&la=2

click on 'view related documents' to see the various objections and the councils refusal.

to summarize the Councils decision and I paraphrase
    ...nature of the development would result in the continued under-utilization of a prominent town center site....

...design incorporating a flat roof and modular design would contravene development plan

...nature of the development would seriously injure the amenities and depreciate the value or existing dwellings ...substandard streetscape & general disturbance, traffic, noise, litter, odour..

Once again retailers coming in to this town are spurned. Within a 60sec walk of this site you have an Lidl , the site is sandwiched by two Chinese takeaways, and a pub.

Under-utilization, surely it would be better than the current eye sore which is at present must be already depreciating the value of existing dwellings

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Follow the link through to the planning section, search on keyword "restaurant".

Interesting - the demolition of the Deanwood is only a side effect. The real impact would be on the Lantern Chinese, because the planning application clearly shows that the location of the proposed McDonalds is exactly where the Lantern is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

bifl wrote: »
    http://www.mayococo.ie/PlanSearch/mcc4/PlanningViewer/BNAdisplayafile.asp?filenum=113125&la=2

click on 'view related documents' to see the various objections and the councils refusal.

to summarize the Councils decision and I paraphrase
    ...nature of the development would result in the continued under-utilization of a prominent town center site....

...design incorporating a flat roof and modular design would contravene development plan

...nature of the development would seriously injure the amenities and depreciate the value or existing dwellings ...substandard streetscape & general disturbance, traffic, noise, litter, odour..

Once again retailers coming in to this town are spurned. Within a 60sec walk of this site you have an Lidl , the site is sandwiched by two Chinese takeaways, and a pub.

Under-utilization, surely it would be better than the current eye sore which is at present must be already depreciating the value of existing dwellings

be interesting to see the people who objected and what vested interests they have.

Thanks for the advice!

Is that the final decision on it?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

They can appeal.

ABSOLUTE DISGRACE!!!... Well I will have my day voting this idiots out of office.

Thats atleast 20 jobs lost to the town..... Was in Castlebar last weekend, McDonalds for the Kids, Boots for the wife ;-).... Ballina is missing out big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

Any time that I have been in Castlebar which is not too often I would treat myself to a McDonalds. The place has a constant stream of traffic going through the drive-thru. Not only that but it brings people into the town and more than likely they will go shopping and bring business to the town.
    Ballina is really suffering now. While there seems to be constant traffic jams during the day in town the shops appear to be empty.
    Whoever is objecting to McDonalds coming to Ballina would need to start looking outside the box and think of the future.
    McDonalds is seen as a family restaurant. The kids love it and its a treat on an occasion.
    How many people drive from Ballina to Castlebar to bring the kids to McDonalds and then go shopping. Castlebar has a great selection of shops including many of the top brand names like Argos and Woodies. It has a very good Tesco and Dunnes with a much better selection than is currently available in Ballina.
    Some people need to wake up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Last weekend had me taking a trip to Castlebar for a trip to Boots, where I didnt end up buying anything but spent quiet a lot of money elsewhere in Castlebar small local shops included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

It's a long way to go to Castlebar just for a Big Mac. Do people really go over there specifically for a McDonalds or Boots?

Advertisement