Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDonalds finally coming to Ballina

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭soterpisc

Ilovelucy wrote: »
    It's a long way to go to Castlebar just for a Big Mac. Do people really go over there specifically for a McDonalds or Boots?

For sure I don't go just for McDonalds... But I know a lot of women who go just for Boots/Next/Argos.

I would say 20 times a year every 2nd week we go to Castlebar to shop... and maybe once a month eat there.

Do some shopping in Ballina, Tesco, Shaws, Leo Doherty ok for Cloths. Wife and Girls like Penneys and its pretty good.

I am not a big junk food fan, I tried local chip shops/ Super macs I think twice in 10 years. But do like McDonalds.

Def Castlebar or sligo have a better selection that Ballina.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

It's a long way to go to Castlebar just for a Big Mac. Do people really go over there specifically for a McDonalds or Boots?

You would be amazed but people do travel to Castlebar for McDonalds. Its nearer than Sligo and I suppose its keeping the money in the county. Suppose its a treat especially for the kiddies on occasions.
    Am partial to a big mac meself :D so would satisfy that need and combine it with a trip to argos or woodies or wherever I want to go on the day.
    If the powers that be in Ballina dont wake up more and more people will head to Castlebar. The variety of shops is as good now as Galway or other larger cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

Woodies is way more expensive than Archers. Large shops etc. look at footfall to see where they will set up their shops. Spend your money in the town and stop cribbing about what other towns have. Do we really want to be the same as every other town in the country?

This is not directed at anyone specifically btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Amazing how people eat that 100% pure crap really is..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

I would never travel to Castlebar for Mcdonalds but for boots, next and aldi, newlook, to name but a few I do go to Castlebar. I love Shaws and Pennys is good too but they are two of a very few. We even travel to castlebar cinema not always but probably 50% of cinema trips are to castlebar. The one in Ballina is cold, doesnt get a crowd and lacks athmospehere. Each time we go to see a kids movie there seems to be some glitch where the screen goes funny and we have to wait for someone to fix it. Most of my money is spent in Ballina or Crossmolina but I dont feel guilty for choosing to spend elsewhere in order to get better value, selection and sometimes service.

• Advertisement

Daisy M wrote: »
    Each time we go to see a kids movie there seems to be some glitch where the screen goes funny and we have to wait for someone to fix it.

YES!!! Its soooo annoying, I usally have to run upstairs to tell them. Also there is no 3d in Ballina so we go to Castlebar..

But I do like Ballina Cinema better as its Graded and easier to watch a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Daisy M wrote: »
    We even travel to castlebar cinema not always but probably 50% of cinema trips are to castlebar. The one in Ballina is cold, doesnt get a crowd and lacks athmospehere. Each time we go to see a kids movie there seems to be some glitch where the screen goes funny and we have to wait for someone to fix it. .

Ballina cinema is the very very poorly managed.
    I have totally given up going.
    One time after I had gone out looking for someone to fix the picture (3 times) I eventually met a member of staff, who told me "sure that projector has been wonky for ages ?? " :confused:, why not explain to the customers before they pay to watch it then !!
    Its a pity because Ballina was waiting for a decent cinema for ages>

Ballina cinema is the very very poorly managed.
    I have totally given up going.
    One time after I had gone out looking for someone to fix the picture (3 times) I eventually met a member of staff, who told me "sure that projector has been wonky for ages ?? " :confused:, why not explain to the customers before they pay to watch it then !!
    Its a pity because Ballina was waiting for a decent cinema for ages>

Indeed!!! extremely annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Dogslife

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Follow the link through to the planning section, search on keyword "restaurant".

Interesting - the demolition of the Deanwood is only a side effect. The real impact would be on the Lantern Chinese, because the planning application clearly shows that the location of the proposed McDonalds is exactly where the Lantern is now.

I have been told that the Lanterns lease is up next year and they have been offered several other units by the developer but are opting to just close down if it comes to it. In fairness that would be a shame but the owner has made plenty of money already and my vote would be for the new development containing McDonalds, Dominos and rumor has it maybe even a KFC...

Ballina is as close to a ghost town as you can get at this stage. Everytimd I come home I'm shocked by just how dead the town is both during the day and at night. The addition of Argos, Boots, McDobalds etc would be nothing but a boost to the town creating desperately needed jobs and some much needed choice.

The cinema has from the start been a badly run mess. The location is poor and in an area that many wouldn't feel safe walking alone at night. a friend was up there awhile back and the car beside his was burnt out during the film. I've often tried to go out and complain about issues with the projection and it usually takes 10 minutes to find a member of staff at which stage they shrug their shoulders and take an additional 10 minutes the issue. On numerous occasions the front doors have been locked which I'm sure is a fire hazard. I spent a good 15 minutes one night waiting for someone to let me out once the film I had seen was over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Dogslife

a friend was up there awhile back and the car beside his was burnt out during the film.

Really?? I'm pretty sure this would have made the Western People...

But true it has never been run properly, never gets the right movies, the screen is always off center, etc...

Ballina is as close to a ghost town as you can get at this stage. Everytimd I come home I'm shocked by just how dead the town is both during the day and at night. The addition of Argos, Boots, McDobalds etc would be nothing but a boost to the town creating desperately needed jobs and some much needed choice.

The cinema has from the start been a badly run mess. The location is poor and in an area that many wouldn't feel safe walking alone at night. a friend was up there awhile back and the car beside his was burnt out during the film. I've often tried to go out and complain about issues with the projection and it usually takes 10 minutes to find a member of staff at which stage they shrug their shoulders and take an additional 10 minutes the issue. On numerous occasions the front doors have been locked which I'm sure is a fire hazard. I spent a good 15 minutes one night waiting for someone to let me out once the film I had seen was over.

I think the cinema is in the perfect place and I have never had any problems there. When was the car burnt out, nobody seems to know anything about it up there.

I think walking home in any city alone at night can be frightening. I don't think Ballina is any worse or better.

Ballina Cinema is probably the best constructed cinema in Mayo Graded so that your view is not blocked by a taller people infront of you.

Problem is that its badly managed, No 3D, Picture quality not great if they can't get the movie in focus. Castlebar cinema is a lot worse in some respects, you could be unlucky to be sitting infront of a 6ft guy.. Its older and sometimes not the cleanest.

Dogslife wrote: »
    a friend was up there awhile back and the car beside his was burnt out during the film.

But true it has never been run properly, never gets the right movies, the screen is always off center, etc...

The pics are on his Facebook. I didn't believe it when he first said it but a few others around town also told me about it

soterpisc wrote: »
    I think the cinema is in the perfect place and I have never had any problems there. When was the car burnt out, nobody seems to know anything about it up there.

I think walking home in any city alone at night can be frightening. I don't think Ballina is any worse or better.

Ballina Cinema is probably the best constructed cinema in Mayo Graded so that your view is not blocked by a taller people infront of you.

Problem is that its badly managed, No 3D, Picture quality not great if they can't get the movie in focus. Castlebar cinema is a lot worse in some respects, you could be unlucky to be sitting infront of a 6ft guy.. Its older and sometimes not the cleanest.

A lot of people are intimidated by the area and when groups of youths are congregated outside then people have genuine reason to be afraid to go back. I have on a number of occasions had groups of youths try and start a fight as I was entering/leaving the cinema. I just keep walking but a group of girls or elderly people would be very intimidated by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

I have never heard of a car being burnt out up there. I must ask about it next time I am there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 The Na

I have been told that the Lanterns lease is up next year and they have been offered several other units by the developer but are opting to just close down if it comes to it. In fairness that would be a shame but the owner has made plenty of money already and my vote would be for the new development containing McDonalds, Dominos and rumor has it maybe even a KFC...

Dogslife, don't believe everything you hear or are told. Not a chance The Lantern (who have been in business for over 20 years) just "opting to just close down if it comes to it".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

The pics are on his Facebook. I didn't believe it when he first said it but a few others around town also told me about it

Yeah was in the cinema that nite and a member of staff came in shouting to see if anyone owned a white car with reg blah blah blah.... Bit annoyed with the interruption til we went outside and saw the fire trucks packing up and heading off :) didnt see anything about it in the western but it def happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Seems Like the whole McDonalds thing is becoming vocal on FB

http://www.facebook.com/pages/McDonalds-4-Ballina/215491941866124

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

MOD NOTE: A thread on this already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 askaway

It appears that the all the staff from the junction signed a letter saying how they feared for thiere jobs if mcds came to town.The letter was sent to the town councill and elected representitives.
    I say a boycott is in order.I dont like been told where I can eat.

Here is a full text of the letter,

"We are writing to you to express our concern and worry regarding the proposed development of a McDonalds Restuarant at Bury street Ballina.

There are 38 staff both part time and full time working in the Junction Resturant.A number of us have worked here for the last 14 years and some have also worked for the previous owners.

Due to the recession,business here at the Junction is on the decline.There are allready too many resturants struggling to survive in Ballina.A McDonalds in Ballina will mean loss of Jobs and more closures in the town.Some of us have worked here for years and heve little or no hope of finding another job.

We would be grateful if you could take our worries into consideration when you make your decision regarding planning permission to Mcdonalds.

Thanking you,
    The Junction Staff.

This letter can be viewed on the planning application under other correspondents/objections on Balliana Town Council website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

askaway wrote: »
    It appears that the all the staff from the junction signed a letter saying how they feared for thiere jobs if mcds came to town.The letter was sent to the town councill and elected representitives.
    I say a boycott is in order.I dont like been told where I can eat.

The Junction staff are entitled to express their opinions, I don't really see the problem with that. If too much weight was given to the letter by the ''town councill and elected representitives' then follow up with the 'town councill and elected representitives'.

Yes they are entitled to thier opinion but it is a bit unfair that they should try to stop progress taking place in the town if it means a bit of competition for them.
    The problem with this town is that small local cartells are in exsistance and will do all they can to prevent more choice for us the consumers.All you have to do is look at all the objections that has taken place down through the years to "outside" business coming in.

Ballina is stuck in a time warp that has been created by small minded local business and The Chamber of Commerace in conjucction with our local elected politicans.

juan.kerr wrote: »
    If too much weight was given to the letter by the ''town councill and elected representitives' then follow up with the 'town councill and elected representitives'.

Not saying too much weight was given to the letter,its a bit rich that they should try to stop progress so they can keep drawing a wage.
    A more interesting question is,
    "Were the staff put under duress to sign that letter?"

To the Junction staff fear not... I have never eaten there... Its in a prime location and offers a different menu. Never thought it was a fast food place... I would say super macs is more in mcd's league.... Its this dumb protectionist crap the keeps jobs out of Ballina.

Faced with competition what does the junction need to do??... They need to create a different offering, better service, varied menu.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Woodies is way more expensive than Archers. Large shops etc. look at footfall to see where they will set up their shops. Spend your money in the town and stop cribbing about what other towns have. Do we really want to be the same as every other town in the country?

This is not directed at anyone specifically btw.

Your point on large shops looking at footfall is nonsense given that so many have looked at or tried to set up in Ballina before getting rejected or seeing so much opposition they look elsewhere.

People are "cribbing" because they see this has caused jobs and money attracted elsewhere because of the closed shop in Ballina.

And it's not just about the people who live around the town but also those who the town should be attracting from further away -- Castlebar and Sligo currently have more to offer these people as well as those who live in the town.

You think the Western covers Ballina so well that they report on every burnt out car? Things happen that the Western doesn't report all the time for different reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

askaway wrote: »
    "Were the staff put under duress to sign that letter?"

The fear of losing their jobs perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

monument wrote: »
    You think the Western covers Ballina so well that they report on every burnt out car? Things happen that the Western doesn't report all the time for different reasons.

If it's not syndicated i.e. off the wire then it would probably be too challenging/difficult for them to report on it.......

Which is the reason I don't buy the Western for many a year. Plastic news.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

whatever your views on mcdonalds coming to ballina - posting illiterate/ignorant/culchie-talk/text speak/rude/abusive rants on facebook pages certainly doesn't help your case.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jimmyboss

I wonder if people are also aware of Mayo Co Co's refusal of planning permission in the recent past to a couple of local entrepreneurs who wanted to develop a complex incorporating a Burger King, Petrol station, rest areas and ancillary units at Rehins on the Foxford Road inbound to Ballina...................

• Advertisement

artyeva wrote: »
    whatever your views on mcdonalds coming to ballina - posting illiterate/ignorant/culchie-talk/text speak/rude/abusive rants on facebook pages certainly doesn't help your case.... :rolleyes:

Could you please provide an example of the above mention posts so described?
    All the arguments put forward are pretty cool to me.Maybe I missed something!

Advertisement