Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDonalds finally coming to Ballina

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 askaway

finisklin wrote: »
    The fear of losing their jobs perhaps?

Good, so you must have heard the story about each member of the Junction staff who were approached indivudaully by thier employer and told to read the letter and if they agreed with it to sign it.

So now the question is, actually two questions,
    (A).Is it the fear of mcdonalds coming to town that would cause them to lose thier jobs.
    OR
    (B)Is it the fear of not signing the letter would cost them thier job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Jimmyboss wrote: »
    I wonder if people are also aware of Mayo Co Co's refusal of planning permission in the recent past to a couple of local entrepreneurs who wanted to develop a complex incorporating a Burger King, Petrol station, rest areas and ancillary units at Rehins on the Foxford Road inbound to Ballina...................

WOW!!!. What a shame!!..... There are atleast 300 trucks that export goods from Ballina a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

askaway wrote: »
    Good, so you must have heard the story about each member of the Junction staff who were approached indivudaully by thier employer and told to read the letter and if they agreed with it to sign it.

So now the question is, actually two questions,
    (A).Is it the fear of mcdonalds coming to town that would cause them to lose thier jobs.
    OR
    (B)Is it the fear of not signing the letter would cost them thier job?

A job is too important to lose in the current environment and you don't need your boss to tell you that. A business like McDonalds will have an effect on all food sales in the town and impact on the Junction, Cafollas Supermacs etc.

Unfortunately the planning process facilitates people to raise their concerns as in previous cases (Argos).

It is a loss for Ballina and I can't see them just giving up as a result of losing one battle.

Ballina's decline goes back three decades to the original investment in infrastructure in Castlebar.

Not sure if your use of the word fear is correct.....more like the reality of the situation as people fight for their livlihoods.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

It's amazing how there is such a snob element in Ireland about companies like McDonalds and the reasons councils give to refuse them to develop. They have about 80 outlets in Ireland. Has any location where they have situated deteriorated since they arrived? If anything, they provide vibrancy, footfall, competition, family friendly environments and significantly, employment (approx 70 fulltime jobs were being promised as well as construction jobs). They consistently win awards as one of the best places to work for in Ireland. I'm not endorsing that they have the healthiest menus but visiting there in moderation is not harmful.

It's a shame councils take such a narrow minded view. I'm not familiar with Ballina but it seems the site it was going to do up was a derelict eyesore of an abandoned hotel for years. Surely this would have been a positive development. In this recession, it's most likely the site will now remain idle and ugly for many years to come as how many companies are expanding these days? A loss for Ballina!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭damojag

It's all about job creation! Think of the construction work - jobs. The venue itself - jobs. When that's been mulled over think of the prestige. Yes I know that McDonald's can sometimes be seen as a greasy joint but in this modern world a town is not really considered to be growing, etc. unless it has a multinational outfit such as McDonald's. This decision has so many knock-on effects. People are simply tired of the council making our decisions, particularly when they do not benefit the town. I have read the reports and the refusal decision and I cannot figure it out. None of their reasons make any sense. One example is the flat roof design - have they looked at the Civic Offices, the new Medical Centre, even the McAndrew centre has a flat roof design - there must be more to it than just a flat roof?

For those complaining about the cinema, am I right in saying that the manager of the cinema is one of the councillors? Mary Kelly?

Apparently some people are getting together tonight to figure out what to in respect of voicing their opinions on the matter.

• Advertisement

McDonalds are coming to Ballina - the question is WHEN. They have assessed the market for fast food in the town and have built a business case, hence the planning application.

McDonalds need a drive through and the council will only permit this close to the town centre (the same reason they favoured Tesco remaining where they are). Deanwood makes sense.

The planning process will have to be adhered to on this, even though the refusal doesn't make sense. Perhaps lobbying the councillors, TDs etc may have a better effect? Don't forget Chamber of Commerce is now funded by council so any degree of support there has to be taken with a grain of salt.

BTW can someone post a current picture of the Deanwood to get an idea of how sh*te the place looks. It is a crap eyesore ......though the developer is probably keen to have it this way.

d1.jpg

It looks terrible......like a haunted house.

Picture doesn't do it justice. The surrounding area is shockingly bad. I've heard it's used by drug-users also, surely another reason to develop the area!

damojag wrote: »
    Picture doesn't do it justice. The surrounding area is shockingly bad. I've heard it's used by drug-users also, surely another reason to develop the area!

Oh no... The fuddy duddys on Ballina town council all eat in the Juction... We can't upset the status quo... Where would the drug-users go!!! God forbid they came over the moy to B4!!! (Imagine them arriving to the park!"""

• Advertisement

A few years back I spent a few evenings taking pictures around town, one evening was dedicated to up around the Deanwood and inside. To say it was in a state of disrepair would be doing it a disservice. It's a run down, dangerous dump. At the time I'm pretty sure there were people living inside, i saw a lot of sleeping bags and various cooking instruments. I assume that is why access has been made so difficult in recent years.

The faster they tear down what can only be classified as an eye sore and put in something which will benefit the town the better.

Anyone going to stop using the Jumction from now on? I used to stop in once in a blue moon when I was home but won't be anymore. The food there isn't great cuisine and I'd go as far as to say that much of what's on the menu in McDonslds would be considerably better food but that's away from the point, the letter they submitted was perhaps the final nail in the coffin of Ballina getting a major boost to the local economy and one which would most likely have been the start if a few other businesses coming to the town.

The nepotism which is prominent in Ballina has over the past few decades stunted the growth of what should be the second biggest town in the west of Ireland. Instead it's a stop off on the way to either Sligo, Castlebar or Galway and nothing else. With do many businesses closing their doors and the closed mindedness and protectionism enforced by the town council I imagine that in ten years Ballina will be an economy black spot (it has been for the past decade) that any sensible business or industry will avoid.

Lots of digs at the ballina town council during Christmas Panto in Ballina.

They even had a Ronald McDonald which they told to get out of Ballina...

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

Anyone going to stop using the Jumction from now on? I used to stop in once in a blue moon when I was home but won't be anymore. The food there isn't great cuisine and I'd go as far as to say that much of what's on the menu in McDonslds would be considerably better food but that's away from the point, the letter they submitted was perhaps the final nail in the coffin of Ballina getting a major boost to the local economy and one which would most likely have been the start if a few other businesses coming to the town.

I think it is unfair to stop using an eaterie in Ballina because they wrote a letter objecting to a potential new competitor setting up base in the town.
    I would write a letter to planning putting across my views if I owned an eaterie in Ballina. Anybody would!
    Everybody is entitled to have their say on the matter.
    I haven't eaten in the Junction for years...and I don't know anybody who works there...but it is unfair for them to be talked about like they have on this thread. They also create a few good jobs in the town.

askaway wrote: »

If I worked in an eaterie in Ballina I would have no hesitation in signing an objection letter to a potential competitor.
    In fact I probably would be pestering my boss everyday to get the letter signed up and posted away asap.
    Common sense to protect your own jobs in such times as today.
    I don't no who else wouldn't in the same situation.

Unfortunately the planning process facilitates people to raise their concerns as in previous cases (Argos).

How is it unfortunate that the planning process facilitates people to raise their concerns?
    I think this is one of the most important aspects of the planning process for any new development....people being allowed to say if they are unhappy or feel the proposed developement will affect them in a negative way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Paul4As wrote: »
    How is it unfortunate that the planning process facilitates people to raise their concerns?
    I think this is one of the most important aspects of the planning process for any new development....people being allowed to say if they are unhappy or feel the proposed developement will affect them in a negative way.

Good point but surely the planning process should also hear from people who support new developments, it appears that the consumers opinion does not count and only that of existing retailers is considered.

Agghhh let me see....the planning process is able to distinguish between genuine concerns and other concerns that may be less about the planning process and more about the commercial impact on other businesses in the area?

Though this works both ways as sometimes the planners i.e. the council can push through projects etc that are in their interest through sage use of the guidelines (or lack of use).

NIMBYism was another area that sprouted during the celtic tiger years.....

Planning is a process...bureaucratic and subject to the whimisical nature of people who take offense to change.

However, this won't stop Macdonalds coming to Ballina. It didn't stop Tesco redeveloping, though it did stop them relocating.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

mc donalds made the centra shop in castlebar

There is a meeting tonight in the Ballina Resource Centre at 8pm concerning the issues posted above and centred around the topic, Jobs for Ballina. Anyone willing to support is invited to attend.

Daisy M wrote: »
    Good point but surely the planning process should also hear from people who support new developments, it appears that the consumers opinion does not count and only that of existing retailers is considered.

If you check in the planning section of Mayo County Council anybody can make a comment (positive or negative) on a development for €20 I believe.
    If I am right then you could have posted in your own letter saying how you would like McDonalds to set up in Ballina.
    As for consumer opinion, I'm sure McDonalds would have carried out some form of market research around Ballina and surrounding areas. This surely would have been forwarded to the planners showing the need for a fast food drive through restaurant in the town.

• Advertisement

Agghhh let me see....the planning process is able to distinguish between genuine concerns and other concerns that may be less about the planning process and more about the commercial impact on other businesses in the area?

Planning is a process...bureaucratic and subject to the whimisical nature of people who take offense to change.

All concerns should be looked at....which would include the impact on other businesses if the development is commercial. This is done everywhere...not just in Ballina.

Change can be good...but it can also be bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭soterpisc

All concerns should be looked at....which would include the impact on other businesses if the development is commercial. This is done everywhere...not just in Ballina.

? Which Restaurents have a drive thru in Ballina? How can a new venture that does not exist in Ballina impact other businesses?. I have only been to junction cafollas once in 7 years.

soterpisc wrote: »
    ? Which Restaurents have a drive thru in Ballina? How can a new venture that does not exist in Ballina impact other businesses?.

There are no drive through restaurants in Ballina. Did I say there were any? Although the fast food places are easily accessible by a car...the parking around them isn't that hectic.

Just because the McDonald's restaurant has a drive through does not hide the fact it sells fast food. There are a good few outlets in Ballina town centre which sell fast food. I have never see any of them packed to the rafters with customers though.

Ballina is already on its knees as regards employment and development, it has been all through the boom years. There can be no comparrisment between it and any other town in Mayo. Even claremorris which was only a small town has seen more development that Ballina. Past and present decisions made by town councillors, planners and chamber of commerce members have done nothing to reenergise Ballina. I suppose what can you expect from people who plan and build a new chamber of commerce office which has no access for wheelchair users or people with mobility problems.
    It appears that we are never going to find out if change will be good for Ballina or not.
    There are no drive through restaurants in Ballina. Did I say there were any? Although the fast food places are easily accessible by a car...the parking around them isn't that hectic.

Just because the McDonald's restaurant has a drive through does not hide the fact it sells fast food. There are a good few outlets in Ballina town centre which sell fast food. I have never see any of them packed to the rafters with customers though.

The junction does excellent trade, I probably eat there once a month or so and usually have to wait for a table this is the norm. The new supermacs seems to do very well, the old one is dirty and nothing has been done with it since it opened well over 15 years ago so it looks very grubby you couldnt pay me to eat there.

if your unhappy with what the councillers are doing why not put yourselves up for election on the jobs for ballina ticket.

irishgeo wrote: »
    if your unhappy with what the councillers are doing why not put yourselves up for election on the jobs for ballina ticket.

Whats to say that none of us havent? Do you really believe it should be a case of put up or shut up? Are you trying to imply that if you are not on the council or have no desire to be you should have no opinion or say on how your local town or county is ran? Your post is like a blast from the past when the average person had no vote and no say.

Whats to say that none of us havent? Do you really believe it should be a case of put up or shut up? Are you trying to imply that if you are not on the council or have no desire to be you should have no opinion or say on how your local town or county is ran? Your post is like a blast from the past when the average person had no vote and no say.
    i didnt mean it like, that i mean its no good posting here about it, you should get on to the councillors and raise some stink.

irishgeo wrote: »

Indeed, I am seriously thinking about it.

The new supermacs seems to do very well, the old one is dirty and nothing has been done with it since it opened well over 15 years ago so it looks very grubby you couldnt pay me to eat there.

Supermacs has a drive through outlet on the Bundoran Road in Sligo...I was very impressed with it...only up a few months I think.
    Pleasant staff...facilities to rival the big international fast food chains.
    Nothing like the old Supermacs in Ballina!
    You wonder why, with such a prime spot on the main street, more money hasn't been spent on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭soterpisc

Supermacs has a drive through outlet on the Bundoran Road in Sligo...I was very impressed with it...only up a few months I think.
    Pleasant staff...facilities to rival the big international fast food chains.
    Nothing like the old Supermacs in Ballina!
    You wonder why, with such a prime spot on the main street, more money hasn't been spent on it.

Only been once to supermacs in portlaoise, got sick on some sausges.. Hopefully its changed since then

Advertisement