Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDonalds finally coming to Ballina

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

Went to the Ballina panto last nite... It was a great show. The cast and crew deserve a huge pat on the back. Shane Loftus deserves the ballina equivalent of an oscar!!!

But I especially liked the part where ronald mcdonald turns up and is kicked outta ballina :) Back to Castlebar with ya.

Apparently, "If you want to see a real panto, you should go to the Town Council meetings" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭damojag

Here's the Jobs for Ballina Page

The Online Petition for Supporting Job Growth in Ballina (sign it if you can't sign the paper version)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

lestat21 wrote: »
    Went to the Ballina panto last nite... It was a great show. The cast and crew deserve a huge pat on the back. Shane Loftus deserves the ballina equivalent of an oscar!!!

But I especially liked the part where ronald mcdonald turns up and is kicked outta ballina :) Back to Castlebar with ya.

Apparently, "If you want to see a real panto, you should go to the Town Council meetings" :)

Yes it was great.... Hope that wakes up the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Was there something in todays Mayo Advertiser about the reason it was refused? From what I heard (didn't read it myself) it was a neighbouring residential owner that objected stating it would devalue their property.

Anyone get a look at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

Was there something in todays Mayo Advertiser about the reason it was refused? From what I heard (didn't read it myself) it was a neighbouring residential owner that objected stating it would devalue their property.

Anyone get a look at it?

there was more than one reason for the refusal. they can be read on the council's website - the link is somewhere earlier in this thread i think.

edit: steph1 bet me to it!

but nowhere on that piece does it say that ''a neighbouring residential owner objected''?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

mc donalds will be back, they were refused planning for ages to light up their sign in Castlebar eventually the council caved in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

steph1 wrote: »

They objected to "traffic, noise, litter and odour".. Well hello... Reality calling council... Just look at the litter that is currently there!!. Its horrendous. Most of the fast food litter in the town comes form the after pub trade,... since Mcdonalds is not competing for this can't see much litter. Maybe they should Shut down Supermacs.

As for traffic.. That road is always business, Its the only road to lidl.

Noise? Its not like there is going to be a pub or nightclub. Anyway it closes at 23:00 so its not like the after pub trade is going to use it at 1 in the morning.

lastly odour.. Well I would have thought that Melody's (who have the Corner House) would prefer the new odour to the current odour of urine that comes from the place? Been to McDonalds in Castlebar and Longford and I would not have said it was very if any odourous (or noisy)

Any the end of the day.. We have a building that could be put to some use, as things stand its empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

soterpisc wrote: »
    Only been once to supermacs in portlaoise, got sick on some sausges.. Hopefully its changed since then

I like the fact that Supermacs do sausages...unlike McDonalds, KFC etc. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭soterpisc

Paul4As wrote: »
    I like the fact that Supermacs do sausages...unlike McDonalds, KFC etc. :)

Thats why we need McDonalds... Because there offering is different to the others... Its not KFC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rustey 2012

I hope your right IRISHGEO,BALLINA needs those jobs.Only ballina would let them slip threw their fingers.And as always its members of the town council that let us down.Is it ever any other way.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Is this just posturing by the councillors or are they for real?

http://www.midwestradio.ie/mwr/news/6470-ballina-town-councillors-fail-to-strike-a-rate-and-will-meet-again-next-week.html

Westport and Castelbar TC both froze rates for 2012.

It's pure drama, given that the overall budget of the council is a couple of millon, if at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rustey 2012

Im starting to think the ballina TC members dont spend a lot of time in Ballina.They dont seem to see what the rest of us see.I wonder if it is a case of (Give somebody a title.).Im sure(Or hope) they will freeze rates but as you said why all the drama.Mind you with all thats going on latey ill be watching my vote very carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Is this not hot air given that Ballina Chamber are funded in part by the Town Council?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I see McDonald's have appealed to Bord Pleanala about Ballina TC's rejection of their application. Maybe Bord Pleanal may be more enlightened! I remember Tralee town council refused Domino's Pizza to open in the town a few years ago but An Bord Planeala overruled them and Dominos were eventually allowed to open.

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/240084.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

finisklin wrote: »
    Is this not hot air given that Ballina Chamber are funded in part by the Town Council?
    Or just a case of pass the blame?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭user1842

Any update on this:

Case due to be decided today?

Ballina Town Council

Demolish existing Deanwood Hotel and adjacent commerical building and provide two-storey drive-thru restaurant.

Case reference: PL36 .240084

Case type: Planning Appeal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

user1842 wrote: »
    Any update on this:

Case due to be decided today?

Ballina Town Council

Demolish existing Deanwood Hotel and adjacent commerical building and provide two-storey drive-thru restaurant.

usually takes a day or two for the website to be updated with the decision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

never was a town so desperate to get obese........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

voz es wrote: »
    never was a town so desperate to get obese........

Nonsense, show me a take away that sells salads and fruit like McD's do. Their menu is full of healthy choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭user1842

Well the update is there is no update, decision delayed :(:

Ballina Town Council

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Nonsense, show me a take away that sells salads and fruit like McD's do. Their menu is full of healthy choices.

Its true that McDonalds do have a good selection of salads nowadays but lets not kid ourselves, they are primarily about selling burgers and chips and that kind of stuff, thats how they make their money.

I personally think their food is borderline terrible, i never feel right after eating it. I'm living in Cork at the minute and I have to say it really disgusts me the amount of parents that bring their kids in there to eat that junk.

On the plus side it would bring jobs to the town so at least something good could come out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭qrrgprgua

stdidit wrote: »
    I personally think their food is borderline terrible, i never feel right after eating it. I'm living in Cork at the minute and I have to say it really disgusts me the amount of parents that bring their kids in there to eat that junk.

Its like ryanair... But people still fly with them because they are cheap. McDonalds have good quality controls and a variety of food. Its up to the consumer to decide.. Many parents bring the kids to a la carte restaurants and what do the kids end up eating.. something for kids menu... Chips and chicken or sausages usually.

Mcdonalds is ok for kids... Once a month as a treat no more. As fast food goes in Ireland is probably the best or better controlled.

I agree with everthing in your 1st paragraph and if it is once a month then thats not too bad i guess, but i have a feeling, from the passing the place so often down here, that a certain amount of people go there a lot more often than that and it just cant be good for the kids.

Not from Ballina area myself so not sure what fast food options there are there these days (Cafollas was the spot last time I was there!) but surely there must be places there that serve better food than McD's?? I suppose its all a matter of opinion and tastebuds but I honestly think their food is the worst out of all fast food outlets i've been in.

I think people just go there because its "McDonalds" and they dont consider what they are eating and what they are giving to their kids.

I agree with everthing in your 1st paragraph and if it is once a month then thats not too bad i guess, but i have a feeling, from the passing the place so often down here, that a certain amount of people go there a lot more often than that and it just cant be good for the kids.

Not from Ballina area myself so not sure what fast food options there are there these days (Cafollas was the spot last time I was there!) but surely there must be places there that serve better food than McD's?? I suppose its all a matter of opinion and tastebuds but I honestly think their food is the worst out of all fast food outlets i've been in.

I think people just go there because its "McDonalds" and they dont consider what they are eating and what they are giving to their kids.

Can't be any worse than Tesco fish fingers, beans and chips at home? WTF does it matter? You think more people will feed their kids unhealthily just because there's a McDonalds in town? FFS.

Can't be any worse than Tesco fish fingers, beans and chips at home? WTF does it matter? You think more people will feed their kids unhealthily just because there's a McDonalds in town? FFS.

No need to take that kind of tone. If people start to bring their kids to McDonalds instead of cooking healthy meals at home then yes they are feeding their kids more unhealthily and over a course of time this can result in serious health issues.

But yeah your definetly right, WTF does it matter :rolleyes:

No need to take that kind of tone. If people start to bring their kids to McDonalds instead of cooking healthy meals at home then yes they are feeding their kids more unhealthily and over a course of time this can result in serious health issues.

But yeah your definetly right, WTF does it matter :rolleyes:

Your idea that getting a McDonalds in the area will change a families eating habits is nonsense. They will not suddenly get lazy and stop cooking healthy food. A McDonalds Happy Meal would be healthier than Tesco fish fingers or nuggets, it even comes with yoghurt and fruit these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

You think that people are going to be going to McD's for their five a day :rolleyes:

Where are your facts to back up the calorie intake of a happy meal compared to tesco value fish fingers and oven chips with value side salad(aprox the same price per sevrings)?

Nothing wrong with a McD's once a month but i dont think McD's would be opening in Ballina if they expected their customer base to be attending once a month :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,262 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Ye still have Supermac's
    Believe me it's far better!!

Advertisement