Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line not suitable for Eircom broadband

Options
  • 03-11-2011 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what the deal with the unsuitable lines is ? I rang Eircom the other day (like countless times before) and they said the line isnt suitable, they have no idea why and all I can do is check back in a few months and see if anything has changed. Once I was told that Eircom has rolled out million of euro's worth of new cable to try and resolve the problem but it didnt work so they gave up on it.

Theres a few houses on my lane, some of them have it and others cant get it. The lines were more or less all put in at the same time and all seem to be coming from the same direction.

Has anyone ever figured out why some lines are not suitable ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Moving thread to eircom forum, since they are the only ones that can tell you why your particular line fails. There may not be an identifiable reason though.

Line length is one, pairgains is another, poor quality cable another, and even the house wiring or equipment you have there can be another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

MungBean wrote: »
    Anyone know what the deal with the unsuitable lines is ? I rang Eircom the other day (like countless times before) and they said the line isnt suitable, they have no idea why and all I can do is check back in a few months and see if anything has changed. Once I was told that Eircom has rolled out million of euro's worth of new cable to try and resolve the problem but it didnt work so they gave up on it.

Theres a few houses on my lane, some of them have it and others cant get it. The lines were more or less all put in at the same time and all seem to be coming from the same direction.

Has anyone ever figured out why some lines are not suitable ?

Hi MungBean
    the most usual reason is distance from the exchange. Sometimes the distance prohibits the posibility of delivering a sustainable or stable broadband connection. Sometime within a particular area there may not be any available ports ( therefore no available broadband connection) within the local exchange.
    If you PM me your tel no. I can investigate your own situation and advise you.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mikofo

had good Eircom broadband service until earlier this year and was told by eircom last year that i was getting an upgraded service as part of their general improvements to system .... great..

But for past few months the service is crap and really sloooow.
    contacted eircom customer support yesterday and was told that there is nothin they can do as lines in area are not up to providing a proper service and cannot say when the lines will be improved..

my eircom account says service should download at up to 8 mg and atm i get 0.82 mg..icon8.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Hi MungBean
    the most usual reason is distance from the exchange. Sometimes the distance prohibits the posibility of delivering a sustainable or stable broadband connection. Sometime within a particular area there may not be any available ports ( therefore no available broadband connection) within the local exchange.
    If you PM me your tel no. I can investigate your own situation and advise you.
    Tony

Thanks for the reply, pm sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

mikofo wrote: »
    had good Eircom broadband service until earlier this year and was told by eircom last year that i was getting an upgraded service as part of their general improvements to system .... great..

But for past few months the service is crap and really sloooow.
    contacted eircom customer support yesterday and was told that there is nothin they can do as lines in area are not up to providing a proper service and cannot say when the lines will be improved..

my eircom account says service should download at up to 8 mg and atm i get 0.82 mg..icon8.gif

Hi MungBean,

I checked the number you PM Tony, can you send me on your full address as well please and I will check that out for you.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

Info sent.

just spent the morning going around in circles with eircom, speaking fo foreign gents, who want to pass the call from from a to b and tell me abuot their 150 euro call out charge, IF.....
    It felt like a threat to make me go away and not bother with my complaint... It seems you only get to speak to machines of people with strange accents who dont understand when you contact eircom.

just spent the morning going around in circles with eircom, speaking fo foreign gents, who want to pass the call from from a to b and tell me abuot their 150 euro call out charge, IF.....
    It felt like a threat to make me go away and not bother with my complaint... It seems you only get to speak to machines of people with strange accents who dont understand when you contact eircom.

Hi mikofo,

If you want to PM your issue and account details, I can look into the query for you.

Thanks, Mark

Hi mikofo,

If you want to PM your issue and account details, I can look into the query for you.

Thanks, Mark

Any news on my issue Mark ?

Hi mikofo,

Thanks, Mark

sent details already

• Advertisement

Any news on my issue Mark ?

Hi MungBean,

I PM you back.

Thanks, Mark

eircom fixed problem today and broadband speed gone from 0.89mbs to 3.55 .
    happy days.

eircom fixed problem today and broadband speed gone from 0.89mbs to 3.55 .
    happy days.

Good stuff.

As for my issue I have been assured that Eircom will be able to provide me with broadband sometime in the near future. Heard that particular one a few years ago too so who knows what will happen.

Just have another question for Mark, dont mean to be a pest or anything but you said
    Apologies, both the numbers your supplied are on "carrier lines" That means a line was split in order to facilitate more than one address for phonr service.

Carrier lines can not support the broadband service. As I mentioned eircom are woking on a new process to address customers in this situation.

One of the numbers I provided has broadband. So if both those numbers are on carrier lines then carrier lines can most definitely support the broadband service. So do you mean that it can only support one customer because the line is effectively split between us or something ?

Good stuff.

As for my issue I have been assured that Eircom will be able to provide me with broadband sometime in the near future. Heard that particular one a few years ago too so who knows what will happen.

Just have another question for Mark, dont mean to be a pest or anything but you said

One of the numbers I provided has broadband. So if both those numbers are on carrier lines then carrier lines can most definitely support the broadband service. So do you mean that it can only support one customer because the line is effectively split between us or something ?

Hi MungBean,

My apologies, the secoond number you provided does have the broadband service. The area code you provided was 053, however the numbers show up as 051 on our systems which caused a slight mix up.

regarding the number on a carrier line as per my PM we are awaiting an update and I will get back to you when I have any info.

Thanks, Mark

Hi MungBean,

My apologies, the secoond number you provided does have the broadband service. The area code you provided was 053, however the numbers show up as 051 on our systems which caused a slight mix up.

regarding the number on a carrier line as per my PM we are awaiting an update and I will get back to you when I have any info.

Thanks, Mark

Sorry, my fault for giving the wrong area code. Thanks for the help and explanation.

Sorry, my fault for giving the wrong area code. Thanks for the help and explanation.

Hi MungBean,

No problem.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement