Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tranferring from medicine in NUIG to UCD?

Options
  • 03-11-2011 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm not entirely sure if this is the correct forum to be posting so feel free to move it mods.:D
    So, anyway, the story is I'm in first year med in Galway and I was wondering would it be possible to transfer to UCD? It's just a lot handier and more economical for me, not that I don't like Galway! I'm thinking of repeating the Hpat, but was too wondering is there any other way I could transfer? I've looked at UCD's transfer policies but I'm not entirely clear on them. Also, I'm in first year and didn't do premed, so does anyone know would I be made repeat 1st year in UCD? Or could I go straight into 2nd year? And also, would fee's be involved?...
    Thanking you's.;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

The general rule is that if you didn't get the points/hpat score you can't transfer from one course to another. So if you score wasn't good enough to get into UCD in the first place you almost definitely won't be allowed transfer.

If your head of department wrote you an excellent referral letter indicating your an excellent student but have responsibilities in your home town preventing you from studying in Galway they might make a special case, but I'd doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

If you repeat the HPAT, and reach the points for UCD 2012, you will have to start again in first med (if you have the requirements to go straight to first med in UCD, and not premed). As you're technically repeating 1st year I would think that you'd be eligible for course fees for first year only, which are ~€8000 for medicine afaik.

I know people who have done premed in one uni, resat the HPAT and started first med in another, and they haven't been eligible for fees as premed is counted as their first year, and first med as their second, so it is more a transfer rather than repeating a year. I don't know if the same would apply for going back into first year, if you were reapplying through the CAO.

The only way to find out if you could go into second med instead of first med (by a transfer, and not through the CAO) would be to get in contact with the admissions office in UCD. You would probably have needed to have the points for UCD in the first place though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 nomnom99

Ok, thanks for your help guys.:D

Advertisement