Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st DIY Upgrade, most efficent route?

Options
  • 03-11-2011 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭

Hey I have never upgraded/built before, but it looks like its time that I start preparing as some of the newer games coming out won't run. I still have a large back-log of titles to get through so I am in no rush.

I bought this a couple of years ago:

i5 650 @3.20
    6GB RAM
    GeForce GT230.

more info in the attachments.
    I have no idea how to find out what my motherboard is.

I just would like to know if there are any areas to upgrade that would get me a lot of bang for my buck please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

CPU-Z will give you details on your motherboard as well as info on the rest of your parts in a more readable format.

As for upgrading, I know very little about this stuff but since I'm posting I might as well start the ball rolling.
    That CPU should be powerful enough for any games.
    The only upgrade you would need to do for playing new titles are high settings is a new graphics card.
    You might need to upgrade your PSU depending on what it is, post your PSU details so people can help you out there.

The GPU I would recommend to get is a 6950 or GTX560ti

That's just some food for thought, the experts will be along soon to help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

What newer games won't run on that set up? I could understand that you may not be able to max the graphics, but everything should run well on that processor. I would suggest a graphics card upgrade which should keep you on top of things for a couple of years at least.

I have a P4 in my old Dell XPS 600. It runs almost everything including PES2012 and FSX. The only games that I wanted to run where I have problems are Fifa12 and the most recent Call of Duty (they both spedify Core Duo as a minimum so I've no complaints). I'm sure there are others that won't run, but these the only ones I've run into problems with. I see my problem as a processor limitation, not graphics. My card is the Nvidia GTX260 which is probably being throttled by the processor at times.

I'm looking at a self build for the New Year, hence lurking here:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

ksimpson wrote: »
    What newer games won't run on that set up?
    BF3 lowest settings, 800x600 res and it still chugs. Strangely not so much when I'm moving forward but when I turn my view with the mouse.

Edit: Since you said that I went back to play with the settings. At my native res 2048x1152 and low settings it chugs but at 800x600 and high settings, its fine. Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I think a graphics card upgrade is on the cards. Other than that, I think your set up is fine.

Advertisement