Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Class of 2011- the continuing challenge

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

I was looking forward to this since the race i DNF'd a few weeks back with food poisoning but 2 or 3 days out i had a niggly knee that i was worried about.

Was out the door at 6 as the race was starting at nine and registration closed at 8. It was absolutely freezing at the start line. Start was delayed by ten mins so i was anxious to get going when we did. I felt good and was running well in the begining (maybe as an attempt to warm up:rolleyes:) I had decided then to try stay at 8 min miles and see how i go. first 3-4 miles were grand and flat and the scenery was amazing in the sunshine. then the hills came. Very steep section around 5 miles. once i got to the top the legs felt strong so i was happy enough to burn away down the other side. back up another hill at 5.5-6 and then flat for another mile. there was a steady drag from 6.5 to 8.5 and i started feeling tired here ( forgot to bring my gels with me:rolleyes:). got to 9 miles and then came a very steep 500m section which i just tried to run as steady as i could as i knew this was the last hill. got to top and started gently going back down "relief!" i thought. Wrong! the marshall then pointed us up another hill at which point i let out an "Ah F#@K". Finally the last hill was done and i was screaming down the other side. once we got down it was flat then for the last 3 miles or so. I was borderline on for a sub 1:45 with three miles to go so I said two more 8 min miles and then run hard for the last and you could do it. The last mile came and there wasnt a whole pile left to speed up. my breathing was ok but the leggs were battered from the hills. With the finish line close i was trying to not slow down as opposed to speed up but made it through in 1:44:39. a big PB for me.

Really happy with the run and got that last DNF out of my system.

Splits: 7:55 7:59 8:04 7:56 8:15 7:20 7:57 8:19 8:28 7:17 7:54 8:00 7:35 (last 0.1m 7:12mm)

Garmin distance 13.24 average pace 7:55.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Some cracking runs yesterday folks, well done to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

well done bob great run there and a nice PB too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done Nules, Run44, Bob & Dave, fair play to you that was one cold day....and to anyone else that was racing yesterday...well earned break now to recover!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Here are my splits from yesterday:
    1 8:10.3
    2 8:10.1
    3 8:19.2
    4 8:28.5
    5 8:39.1
    6 8:45.1
    7 8:34.7
    8 8:21.7
    9 8:47.9
    10 8:53.6
    11 8:40.0
    12 8:47.0
    13 8:35.6
    14 :32.1

Didn't get there yesterday until around 11.20 then there was a cue to collect the numbers so it was all a bit of a rush to get warmed up probably sorry Nules. Got to the start was chatting to a friend next thing we looked around and the race had started.

Managed to catch up with the 1.50 pacers and stayed with them for the first five miles but fell off just before the hill I always kept a good eye on them but I just could not catch them. Then I got little cramps around 9 miles but if I stopped that would have been it for the day so I carried on.Felt much stronger at the end of the race then I have before.

My goal for 2012 is 1.45 half marathon and another marathon. I need to get quicker. Overall a great year 4 half marathons and a life long dream of a marathon. Think I will take a week rest now.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Younganne wrote: »
    Well done Nules, Run44, Bob & Dave, fair play to you that was one cold day....and to anyone else that was racing yesterday...well earned break now to recover!!

+ 1 on that to all you racers. It really is a whole different ball game when you are standing at a start line in freezing cold weather and then setting off and trying to get warm. Major respect guys!

Name|Sessions|Distance|Total|Comments
    BobMac104|||87m||
    Younganne|3|14|68m|didn't get out this weekend..will do todays session tomorrow:D|
    red face dave|||46.5m|
    Nules10 |||84.5|
    Conseng|||59m|
    run44|||28.5m||
    shazkea|||49m|
    KittyMittens|||34.5m||
    Cutex|||29.5m|
    sunflowerro|||89.0|
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||20.8|

had great intentions of getting out today but just didn't manage it ( went to see Alvin & the Chipmuncks Chipwrecked instead:p )so will do todays run tomorrow and then rest Tue and do this weeks plan from wed on!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

BobMac104|||87m||
    Younganne|3|14|68m|didn't get out this weekend..will do todays session tomorrow:D|
    red face dave|||46.5m|
    Nules10 |||84.5|
    Conseng|||59m|
    run44||28.5m||
    shazkea|||49m|
    KittyMittens|||34.5m||
    Cutex|||29.5m|
    sunflowerro|5|30|119.0| Enjoyed 13 miles in the park on Sat with NO wind :)
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||20.8|

run44 wrote: »
    Just got back from the AWARE 5 miler. Was a cold one but great fun! We were warned before we started that some parts of the route could be icy and slippy so I just thought, ah well, there goes any chance of a PB. But, somehow, I managed a PB besting my previous time by a minute and finishing in 42mins. Of course, it helps that my last 5 miler was six months ago! Very happy with that anyway and looking forward to a day curled up on the couch! :)

Hope all goes well for Nules and Dave in the half. Can't wait to read your race reports!
    Well done run44. Nice PB there. It was a great day for running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Hey Folks

Some great runs at the weekend well done to all running. Here is the plan for this week

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|5m|30minwith hard intervals*|5m|rest|60mins|Cross

intervals should run 1 hard after every 3 min easy

For anyone who raced the half at the weekend the wednesday session should just be 30 min easy instead of the fartlek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

BobMac104|5|39m|126m|Happy with half marathon. Legs feel ok|
    red face dave|||46.5m|
    Nules10 |||84.5|
    Conseng|||59m|
    run44||28.5m||
    shazkea|||49m|
    KittyMittens|||34.5m||
    Cutex|||29.5m|
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||20.8|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

red face dave|||46.5m|
    Nules10 |||84.5|
    Conseng|||59m|
    run44|||28.5m|
    shazkea|3|15|64m|Enjoyed the runs this week
    KittyMittens|||34.5m||
    Cutex|||29.5m|
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||20.8|

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭conseng

red face dave|||46.5m|
    Nules10 |||84.5|
    Conseng|3|15|74m|
    run44|||28.5m|
    KittyMittens|||34.5m||
    Cutex|||29.5m|
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||20.8|

red face dave|||46.5m|
    Nules10 |4|19|103.5|Pb in waterford, sub2 is there for the taking....soon
    Conseng|3|15|74m|
    run44|||28.5m|
    KittyMittens|||34.5m||
    Cutex|||29.5m|
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||20.8|

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

Howya anne

who do you do the kettlebells with?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

red face dave|||46.5m|
    Conseng|3|15|74m|
    run44|3|13|41.5m|Happy with 5m PB on Saturday :)|
    KittyMittens|||34.5m||
    Cutex|||29.5m|
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||20.8|

red face dave|4|19|65.5m|Great weekend
    Conseng|3|15|74m|
    run44|3|13|41.5m|Happy with 5m PB on Saturday :)|
    KittyMittens|||34.5m||
    Cutex|||29.5m|
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||20.8|

shivDCM wrote: »
    Howya anne

who do you do the kettlebells with?

CBF - Colm Brady Fitness. St Pats School in Navan.... They are fantastic..one lady travels from Waterford every week for the class 5hr round trip!!!:eek:
    Let me know if you want any more details.....

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

CBF - Colm Brady Fitness. St Pats School in Navan.... They are fantastic..one lady travels from Waterford every week for the class 5hr round trip!!!:eek:
    Let me know if you want any more details.....

Bit far for me.
    I found this guy last night after i posted that http://fingalkettlebells.ie/
    I'm going to give him a go tomorrow night.
    Looking forward to it. I want to do some work on my strength over the winter.

Thanks for getting back to me.

You will really enjoy it. The first few classes are a bit tough as you get use to it, its hard work but great craic!!! Enjoy!:D

• Advertisement

the weather this week is shocking cold...put on the base layer today for the first time...made a bit difference.

Got out Mon for 5.5 m,
    Tuesday for 5m
    did the intervals today...great fun:D, did about 3.7m...but forgot to reset the Garmin from yesterday so don't have totals, just lasps...will post tomorrow..on PC in work..

How is everyone else finding the cold & the strong winds???

Have not done a thing this week. Was going to do a run today but we were covered in snow. So hopefully do something tomorrow. It is very cold out there so will need base layer hat and gloves

Dave, Hat & gloves have been on for the past two weeks and spend my time taking them off when i warm up, putting them back on when i hit strong wind. taking them off again etc...but couldn't go without them!!! Lidl's best:D

thank god we have no snow...i will run in rain, wind, hail and sun but not on snow or frost:eek:

Enjoy the rest....

Was enjoying the rest but now I am bored. That reminds me I need to buy new gloves had to throw mine away in Waterford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

That reminds me I need to buy new gloves had to throw mine away in Waterford
    Penneys, 2 for €1.50, no excuses. :cool:

RK are the Penneys ones the fleecy, wool or cotton? i can't bear the feel of the wind going through the wool....the lidl ones are the "running gloves" so very light

Dave, amazing how quickly running becomes part of us:rolleyes:

I know, I never thought I would enjoy such a lonely sport. I love now after a sh1t day in work getting the gear on and heading out for a few miles to clear the head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The cheapo ones are wool, but there are fleece ones in the mens section for about €2.50.

May send the wife in so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

How is everyone else finding the cold & the strong winds???
    I try to run more consistently since the 5k race.
    I went for run on Friday afternoon, and have almost frozen ;) also yesterday in the hurricane. Much tougher than expected...
    I have worn long sleeve jacket for the first time yesterday. Both times with a hat and gloves though.

Advertisement