Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Class of 2011- the continuing challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Penneys, 2 for €1.50, no excuses. :cool:
    May send the wife in so.
    Its ok dave they serve men in pennys too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Nules10 wrote: »
    Its ok dave they serve men in pennys too :D

:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Younganne wrote: »
    the weather this week is shocking cold...put on the base layer today for the first time...made a bit difference.

Got out Mon for 5.5 m,
    Tuesday for 5m
    did the intervals today...great fun:D, did about 3.7m...but forgot to reset the Garmin from yesterday so don't have totals, just lasps...will post tomorrow..on PC in work..

How is everyone else finding the cold & the strong winds???

i am not finding the cold too bad. Was out monday tuesday (in a blizzard) and this morning and i just have loads of layers on. I am running with a couple of others from the local club so that makes it way easier i find. Id never get up if i knew no one was waiting for me.

i am enjoying the bit of speed work too. really different to what iam used to

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Got out again today and did 5.22m in 50.15 @9.37pace/ HR 167

anyone who likes tables check out my table in my new log:D:D

I have to say i'm looking forward to the Rest day tomorrow, i have never done 4 days in a row and i have kettlebells tonight so tomorrows rest will definitely be welcomed...althought im going to do some christmas shopping :eek: so i would happily run 10 m instead.:p..i hate shopping! i know i know unusual for a female but thats the way it is:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

How is everyone else finding the cold & the strong winds???

The cold isn't so bad but I really have had my fill of the wind. As I run a direct route home from work I have the wind against me the whole way along the canal. I'm beginning to lose the will to live battling into the wind :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

The cold isn't so bad but I really have had my fill of the wind. As I run a direct route home from work I have the wind against me the whole way along the canal. I'm beginning to lose the will to live battling into the wind :)

+1, I'm fed up with the wind too but I suppose it's good resistance training!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Marthastew wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D:D

I cant stand that shop plus at this time of year. I am more of a internet shopper :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

I cant stand that shop plus at this time of year. I am more of a internet shopper :)

What do you mean? You don't like giant babygros for adults or clothes that shouldn't be worn near a naked flame???:)

Although you really can't beat the gloves and hats; perfect for running in this Baltic weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭galwayhooker

[/QUOTE]

CBF - Colm Brady Fitness. St Pats School in Navan.... They are fantastic..one lady travels from Waterford every week for the class 5hr round trip!!!:eek:
    Let me know if you want any more details.....[/Quote]

I live in Kells so would def love to try kettle bells in pats in Navan - never knew it existed !!
    Been so long since I have been on boards - was so happy and on high after DCM but picked up knee injury after so did my first 4 mile run this week.kills me not being able to run but suppose better rest knee than putting pressure on it - try to avoid going up hills but hope thus won't affect my fitness - can't believe was out doing 18 mile run plus training on sat morn before marathon - seems like a life time ago

CBF - Colm Brady Fitness. St Pats School in Navan.... They are fantastic..one lady travels from Waterford every week for the class 5hr round trip!!!:eek:
    Let me know if you want any more details.....[/Quote]

I live in Kells so would def love to try kettle bells in pats in Navan - never knew it existed !!
    Been so long since I have been on boards - was so happy and on high after DCM but picked up knee injury after so did my first 4 mile run this week.kills me not being able to run but suppose better rest knee than putting pressure on it - try to avoid going up hills but hope thus won't affect my fitness - can't believe was out doing 18 mile run plus training on sat morn before marathon - seems like a life time ago[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭galwayhooker

Yes.would love details - thanks very much :)
    Let me know if you want any more details.....

oops, sorry galwayhooker i had posted a reply with details but i see now it didn't post properly

Eamonn Brady 0863567015, St Pats mixed classes on Mon at 8.30 - mixed classes , Thur 7.15- ladies only, 8.30 - mixed
    Sat morn 11.15 mixed i think..ring eamonn and talk to him. I think they are resuming after chrismas on 9th Jan, but i'll confirm after class on Thur... Its hard going but great craic.....

Name|Sessions|Distance|Total|Comments
    BobMac104|||126m||
    Younganne|4|19|87m|didn't get out this weekend..again so mite just leave it at the moment and not worry too much about it. Just so much on:)|
    red face dave|||65.5|
    Nules10 |||103.5|
    Conseng|||74m|
    run44|||41.5m||
    shazkea|||64m|
    KittyMittens|||34.5m||
    Cutex|||29.5m|
    sunflowerro|||119.0|
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||20.8|

Anyone else finding life getting in the way of running...you know christmas parties, christmas shopping, kids plays etc:D
    Roll on Jan when we have nothing to do and no money to do it:D:D:D

BobMac104|||126m||
    Younganne|4|19|87m|didn't get out this weekend..again so mite just leave it at the moment and not worry too much about it. Just so much on:)|
    red face dave|0|0|65.5|Rest week but back at it tomorrow
    Nules10 |||103.5|
    Conseng|||74m|
    run44|||41.5m||
    shazkea|||64m|
    KittyMittens|||34.5m||
    Cutex|||29.5m|
    sunflowerro|||119.0|
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||20.8|

Like you Anne very hard to get out in this weather plus parties and what not but I had my weeks rest after Waterford and it was my first week off since the Marathon so I needed it. Ready to hit the ground running tomorrow and I got my gloves from penneys:) so I'm ready to go

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Yeah, not a great week for me either with just the one 4m run. There's way too much going on at the moment between deperate attempts to finish up work stuff before Christmas, nights out, etc. so hopefully once I finish up work I'll be able to fit in more running time!

Glad you've gotten the gloves, Dave. So you braved Penneys yourself in the end? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Hey Guys

Happy Christmas this week but it still dont mean you get a free pass :D

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|5m|30minwith hard intervals*|5m|rest|45mins|Goal Mile

Intervals 1 min on 3 min off

Goal mile - 1 Mile warm up/cooldown

This is just an opportunity to make yourself feel like you earned the turkey and the few glasses of wine/beer later on:p

This race was near enough to me so i said id give it a bash.

I had never done a 5 k before so this was new to me all this ready steady go stuff. There is no time for easing into it. With no warm up to speak of i found myself at the start line not feeling brilliant about a 3mile sprint. Anyway away we went and of course jonny novice here hared off with everyone. looked at the garmin telling me i was doing 5:30 mm. it was hard to pull back as loads were passing me still. I was breathing really heavy already and as we reached a mile i had done it in 6:30. i eased again to try find some sort of rhythm but was struggling. at two miles i finally began to relax and felt somewhat normal. at the three mile mark i thought we were finished and didnt realise i had another 200mish to go:rolleyes:.

overall a crazy introduction to 5k racing. with proper pacing i think i could have taken another 15-20sec off my time but i was happy over all.

Officiall time 21:00 (i had clocked 20:59:mad:) average pace 6:45.

splits. 6:29 , 7:06 , 6:46 (final bit done at 5:36 mm).

Good experience i think in the end . Ill know better for the next one.

BobMac104|5|33.1|159.1m|solid week. tipping away.|
    Nules10 |||103.5|
    Conseng|||74m|
    run44|||41.5m||
    shazkea|||64m|
    KittyMittens|||34.5m||
    Cutex|||29.5m|
    sunflowerro|||119.0|
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||20.8|

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭conseng

Nules10 |||103.5|
    Conseng|0|0|74m|no running last week for various reasons, back to it today though and looking forward to it.
    run44|||41.5m||
    shazkea|||64m|
    KittyMittens|||34.5m||
    Cutex|||29.5m|
    sunflowerro|||119.0|
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||20.8|

Hey Bob that was some first 5k race....well done. Where was it?...

It really is ready steady go and just keep running til you get to the end without thinking too much about it!!!!
    Put that time into a calculator and get you new paces for the different training runs and compare to what you are doin at the min and see if there is much difference!! http://www.runbayou.com/jackd.htm

Its always interesting to do this after a race and see how training is going.

• Advertisement

Thanks Anne. Its definately different than what iam used but but good fun none the less.
    It was down in Newmarket North west cork. There is a link to the details in the events page.

AHAHAHAH Aparently I am good for a 3.21 marathon now from that calculator!!

BobMac104 wrote: »

AHAHAHAH Aparently I am good for a 3.21 marathon now from that calculator!!

No stopping you now Bob!!!!;)

Think i am going to do this weeks plan but move everything up my one day and nomatter how hard i try there is not a snowballs chance of me getting out on Christmas day....Santa presents to admire, (kids not mine);), Mass to attend, big tinwhistle playing event by first born:D and then dinner to prepare & eat, drink to be drank and lots of goodies to eat!!!! :D:D so won't fit it in......mite get a walk with the dog in but that can be the cross training:o

Gonna be tough to get it all done this week alright. Its feckin christmas anyway. we're supposed to relax and eat too much. Much deserved too it is.

....just dont tell e.coli.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Nules10 |||103.5|
    Conseng|0|0|74m|no running last week for various reasons, back to it today though and looking forward to it.
    run44|||41.5m||
    shazkea|4|19|83m|Enjoyed the runs this week despite the frosty paths
    KittyMittens|||34.5m||
    Cutex|||29.5m|
    sunflowerro|||119.0|
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||20.8|

so i am moving this weeks plan forward by 1 day.

monday - 5.01m in 49:53 = 9.53 ave pace/ 158 avg HR...

have to say I am very happy with the fact that my avg pace is getting a little faster without the avg HR going above 160..so my aerobic fitness is definitely improving!!:D

BobMac104 wrote: »
    This race was near enough to me so i said id give it a bash.

I had never done a 5 k before so this was new to me all this ready steady go stuff. There is no time for easing into it. With no warm up to speak of i found myself at the start line not feeling brilliant about a 3mile sprint. Anyway away we went and of course jonny novice here hared off with everyone. looked at the garmin telling me i was doing 5:30 mm. it was hard to pull back as loads were passing me still. I was breathing really heavy already and as we reached a mile i had done it in 6:30. i eased again to try find some sort of rhythm but was struggling. at two miles i finally began to relax and felt somewhat normal. at the three mile mark i thought we were finished and didnt realise i had another 200mish to go:rolleyes:.

overall a crazy introduction to 5k racing. with proper pacing i think i could have taken another 15-20sec off my time but i was happy over all.

Officiall time 21:00 (i had clocked 20:59:mad:) average pace 6:45.

splits. 6:29 , 7:06 , 6:46 (final bit done at 5:36 mm).

Good experience i think in the end . Ill know better for the next one.

They are some splits. Well done sir!

No stopping you now Bob!!!!;)

Think i am going to do this weeks plan but move everything up my one day and nomatter how hard i try there is not a snowballs chance of me getting out on Christmas day....Santa presents to admire, (kids not mine);), Mass to attend, big tinwhistle playing event by first born:D and then dinner to prepare & eat, drink to be drank and lots of goodies to eat!!!! :D:D so won't fit it in......mite get a walk with the dog in but that can be the cross training:o

God Anne, I have massive admiration for anyone with kids organising themselves to get out running. I find it hard to get just myself organised to get out. Serious repect for you and I most definitely think you deserve Christmas day off!!!!!

shazkea wrote: »
    Nules10 |||103.5|
    run44|||41.5m||
    shazkea|4|19|83m|Enjoyed the runs this week despite the frosty paths
    KittyMittens|||34.5m||
    Cutex|||29.5m|
    sunflowerro|5|30|149.0| Enjoyed these but it was baltic!
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||20.8|

Legs are screaming for a break so will happy to finish up for a week on Thu. Going skiing....I know I should be looking forward to it but I am terrified about breaking a leg coz running has been going so well lately. I might just wrap myself up in bubble wrap :)

Well done Bob great running brilliant time also. Run, nope the wife went in and got me them. She is a good one:). Fair play to everyone who got out there last week it was not easy on those roads.

• Advertisement

God Anne, I have massive admiration for anyone with kids organising themselves to get out running. I find it hard to get just myself organised to get out. Serious repect for you and I most definitely think you deserve Christmas day off!!!!!

SunflowerRo, I have to admit that i get out at lunch time to run in Phoenix park and if i had to do it after work i probably wouldn't get out as often. I haven't got out the last two weekends so it doesn't always go to plan but have to say i have a great hubby who will fit weekend work (if he has any) around me getting a run if he can or if all else fails i might head to Navan and leave the kids with my Mam and head out around the lit streets!!!!

There are plenty of people who have to orgainse running around family life, even single people. But thanks for the lovely words:D

Advertisement