Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Class of 2011- the continuing challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Going skiing....I know I should be looking forward to it but I am terrified about breaking a leg coz running has been going so well lately. I might just wrap myself up in bubble wrap :)

Gud for you.....Mind yourself bu tdon't be over cautious or you won't enjoy it ...what will be will be:D

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Younganne wrote: »
    God Anne, I have massive admiration for anyone with kids organising themselves to get out running. I find it hard to get just myself organised to get out. Serious repect for you and I most definitely think you deserve Christmas day off!!!!!

SunflowerRo, I have to admit that i get out at lunch time to run in Phoenix park and if i had to do it after work i probably wouldn't get out as often. I haven't got out the last two weekends so it doesn't always go to plan but have to say i have a great hubby who will fit weekend work (if he has any) around me getting a run if he can or if all else fails i might head to Navan and leave the kids with my Mam and head out around the lit streets!!!!

There are plenty of people who have to orgainse running around family life, even single people. But thanks for the lovely words:D

But you could so easily use your lunchtime for other less torturous activities and you don't! No seriously fair play tya for being able to shuffle everything around to fit it in. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Name|Sessions|Distance|Total|Comments
    BobMac104|5|33.1|159.1m|solid week. tipping away.|
    Younganne|4|19|87m|didn't get out this weekend..again so mite just leave it at the moment and not worry too much about it. Just so much on:)|
    red face dave|0|0|65.5|Rest week but back at it tomorrow
    Nules10 |||103.5|
    Conseng|0|0|74m|no running last week for various reasons, back to it today though and looking forward to it.
    run44|1|4|45.5m|Life got in the way! Hoping to do better this week|
    shazkea|4|19|83m|Enjoyed the runs this week despite the frosty paths
    KittyMittens|||34.5m||
    Cutex|||29.5m|
    sunflowerro|5|30|149.0| Enjoyed these but it was baltic!|
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||20.8|

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Younganne|4|19|87m|didn't get out this weekend..again so mite just leave it at the moment and not worry too much about it. Just so much on:)|
    Nules10 |3|16|119.5|missed one run this week. But that's ok :)
    Conseng|0|0|74m|no running last week for various reasons, back to it today though and looking forward to it.
    KittyMittens|||34.5m||
    Cutex|||29.5m|
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||20.8|

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

Nice light rain this evening and not too cold, perfect for hill intervals... I died 4 times today :eek:

Managing only 2 runs a week recently :o I need to get better organized and do at least 3, ideally 4. On a positive note, it's 4th week of consistent strength training at home - core 3 times a week, upper body and legs 3 times a week, 1 day rest.

Hmm... maybe I'll start a log over Xmas ;)

• Advertisement

meijin wrote: »

Hmm... maybe I'll start a log over Xmas ;)

Go for it...it will definitely get you out the door quicker!!!
    I started mine last week and yesterday i himmmed and hawed about going out but decided i have my log to keep so had to go...couldn't bail on it one week in!!:D

Tuesday 20 December
    plan was 30 intervals 3m easy 1m 5k pace

Overall it was 4.1m. in 39:15 avg pace 9.34/163
    Breakdown looks like this

Time@avg pace/avg HR
    6.05min@9.49/159bpm - 1.02min @7.52/159bpm
    3.02min@10.20/161bpm - 1.01 min @7.54/172bpm
    3.02 min@10.03/166bpm - 1.01min@8.21/175bpm
    3.02min@10.33/167bpm - 1.03min@7.45/173bpm
    3.01min@10.186/165bpm - 1.02min@7.37/168bpm
    3.02min@10.09/160bpm - 1.02min@8.09/165bpm
    3.03min@9.49/162bpm - 1.02@7.15/172bpm
    7.38@9.57/164bpm

I enjoyed this, a bit of variety and not all just slow joging for miles!!!

Wednesday 21 December
    Plan was 5m easy without looking at garmin and just go with the flow

5.81m in 58.00 avg pace 9.58/167

Breakdown
    m1=10.04/151
    m2=9.54/160
    m3=10.17/169
    m4=10.11/162
    m5=9.50/157
    m6(.82)=9.26/169

Rest tomorrow - well no running but i have kettlebells, last class until second week in Jan i think!!

ecoli wrote: »
    Hey Guys

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|5m|30minwith hard intervals*|5m|rest|45mins|Goal Mile

I DON'T LIKE THESE :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭alitoast

Hi Guys,
    Wondering if i can start logging with you guys here? Planning for Kinvara half and Cork full. Can i add my name to the table?

alitioast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

alitoast wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    Wondering if i can start logging with you guys here? Planning for Kinvara half and Cork full. Can i add my name to the table?

alitioast

Its all inclusive so anyone welcome to hope in at any stage. Welcome

• Advertisement

Nules10 wrote: »

If you can manage to get these in at this time of year with the x mas parties/shopping etc you are on for a great year. They will get easier over time and will help boost your aerobic strength while also introducing your body to anaerobic work which will come into play when you get into more traditional interval type sessions.

The trick is not to go all out on these but rather more 5k paced. As you get fitter this time will naturally come down but the real benefits are seen in the recovery/easy parts as you will find you recover quicker and these segments will start to get closer to the 5k pace on the hard/on segments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Will one of these help? :cool:

tumblr_lkkv4sLcM31qah5i2o1_500.jpg

Will one of these help? :cool:

tumblr_lkkv4sLcM31qah5i2o1_500.jpg

:D:D No!!

If you can manage to get these in at this time of year with the x mas parties/shopping etc you are on for a great year. They will get easier over time and will help boost your aerobic strength while also introducing your body to anaerobic work which will come into play when you get into more traditional interval type sessions.

The trick is not to go all out on these but rather more 5k paced. As you get fitter this time will naturally come down but the real benefits are seen in the recovery/easy parts as you will find you recover quicker and these segments will start to get closer to the 5k pace on the hard/on segments

Thanks ecoli i know they will benefit me in the long run :) I am not sure what my 5k pace is so i went with 9min/m ish or less. Anyway the pace for the 30 mins averaged 9:27!!?? I have to say on the fast bit i felt like i was going flat out. I suppose its my first bit of speed work since the marathon as i was just plodding along for waterford half. maybe i will enjoy them more next week :)

Thanks ecoli i know they will benefit me in the long run :) I am not sure what my 5k pace is so i went with 9min/m ish or less. Anyway the pace for the 30 mins averaged 9:27!!?? I have to say on the fast bit i felt like i was going flat out. I suppose its my first bit of speed work since the marathon as i was just plodding along for waterford half. maybe i will enjoy them more next week :)

Enjoy is not a word I associate with the hard sessions however you feel great after them and make you feel like you have earned the few extra x mas drinks/treats:D

Enjoy is not a word I associate with the hard sessions however you feel great after them and make you feel like you have earned the few extra x mas drinks/treats:D

Ya mean like the ones i am having now :D
    Ok maybe enjoy was pushing it a bit ... so we will go with "cope with" instead :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

make you feel like you have earned the few extra x mas drinks/treats:D

Not gonna lie, a mince pie may have been consumed as recovery food straight after my run today :D

Not gonna lie, a mince pie may have been consumed as recovery food straight after my run today :D

AVOID MY LOG and do as I say not as I do for the next two weeks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

The same as Nules I don't know what my 5k time is as I have never ran a 5k race plus I think I ran my quickest during the Waterford half don't know how much quicker I could go:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

The same as Nules I don't know what my 5k time is as I have never ran a 5k race plus I think I ran my quickest during the Waterford half don't know how much quicker I could go:)
    Enter your best result in the calculator and it will estimate your 5k equivalent time - http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/site/calculator

This one can also suggest some paces for training - http://fellrnr.com/wiki/VDOT_Calculator

• Advertisement

Must be Something wrong with me....I ENJOY THEM...and i know i am going too fast:eek:

and yes i feel great after them..well about an hr after when fed & watered!!

Welocme Alitoast...you can add yourself into table whenever you want.....

You don't have to be mad to come here...but it helps:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

I must admit to enjoying the speed sessions also. Dont get me wrong they are soo tough but in a "ill be ok in 5 mins" kinda tough as opposed to the "I dont think ill ever get off this couch again" type of tough that come with the 20 milers in marathon training.

I find i am kinda buzzing after them. Also i think they help get us to a point where we arnt afraid to run fast for fear of blowing up. When I thought of fast miles before the marathon i was sure id collapse and that would be it, but the speed sessions have given me confidence to run hard knowing i can recover by backing it off if i need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Welcome alitoast!

BobMac104 wrote: »
    I must admit to enjoying the speed sessions also.

Wheew, so i'm not the only one....;);):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

BobMac104 wrote: »
    I must admit to enjoying the speed sessions also.

Yeah +1. I love interval and hill sessions because you feel like you're working. I hate the easy plodding runs where you just seem to be getting nowhere slowly!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭alitoast

Nules10 |3|16|119.5|missed one run this week. But that's ok :)
    KittyMittens|||34.5m||
    Cutex|||29.5m|
    Jimh|||20| |
    Kit3 |||20.8|
    Alitoast|2|14|75m|total is for Nov and Dec|

Thanks for the welcomes, i hope i have this right...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

just edited it to remove the quote tags - you have to take them out, otherwise the next person won't be able to quote the table

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Hi guys,

Headin off on my hols in the morning and wont have internet I'd say so I just wanted to wish you all a very happy Xmas. Thanks so much for all the friendships and support over the last few months. Would never have achieved completing the marathon without you guys.
    A very merry Xmas and chat tya all in the new Year :)

• Advertisement

Many Happy returns to you SunflowerRo & yours and have a great time sking...stay safe:D

Advertisement