Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Class of 2011- the continuing challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

sorry to hear that Anne. you're right to take it easy before getting back out

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Younganne wrote: »
    at the moment i have ear, throat & chest infections ( and i suspect a kidney one now also) so won't be doing any running for at least another week. Doc said it was fine to run but i really wouldn't have the energy as the body is using all the energy to fight the infections...only the last two days have i lost the interest in trying to get out for a run so think the body was telling me HTFU:D

Sorry to hear that Anne. Get well soon. If its any consolation, its probably a good time to get the sickness out of the way. You'll be fighting fit then for the serious marathon training when it starts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

BobMac104 wrote: »
    So what are everyones plans for this year? Is everyone going to do another marathon or will people try improve shorter stuff?
    Just keep improving and do few shorter races, every month or two.
    Not sure about marathon yet, maybe DCM again if I have enough time to train for it.
    ecoli
    , how much can I drop from 4h in a year? ;) I need some ambitious goal :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Run44 you just wrote my post:D...i have gone from 4.41 in DCM 2010 to 4.26 DCM 2011 and would hope for 4.14 in 2012 with 3.59 in 2013...don't think i could manage two marathons in one year!!!

I want to continue with the shorter ones for now and see where that brings me....

at the moment i have ear, throat & chest infections ( and i suspect a kidney one now also) so won't be doing any running for at least another week. Doc said it was fine to run but i really wouldn't have the energy as the body is using all the energy to fight the infections...only the last two days have i lost the interest in trying to get out for a run so think the body was telling me HTFU:D

Back to the sweets Anne forget about running for a while.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

meijin wrote: »
    Just keep improving and do few shorter races, every month or two.
    Not sure about marathon yet, maybe DCM again if I have enough time to train for it.
    ecoli
    , how much can I drop from 4h in a year? ;) I need some ambitious goal :cool:

You will get as much as you put in. No reason why 3.15-3.30 shouldnt be a realistic target depending on how you train between now and then. Wouldn't worry about a time goal at the moment just train at the shorter distances see how you are improving and make a call once you are starting your marathon specific work on what you feel is achievable

• Advertisement

Hey Folks

Hope this week has gone okay and everyone is getting back into the swing of things after the holiday festivities

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|5m|3 mile tempo + 4x80m strides|5m|rest|5 miles easy|75mins

ecoli wrote: »
    You will get as much as you put in. No reason why 3.15-3.30 shouldnt be a realistic target depending on how you train between now and then. Wouldn't worry about a time goal at the moment just train at the shorter distances see how you are improving and make a call once you are starting your marathon specific work on what you feel is achievable

Any advice on choosing a marathon time to aim for? is double your half and add twenty as good as anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

double your half and add 10%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

BobMac104 wrote: »
    Any advice on choosing a marathon time to aim for? is double your half and add twenty as good as anything?

3 x your 10 mile time
    5 x your 10k time
    are some of the old schools ways of predicting a marathon time.

Adding 20 minutes to a half time is too generic as it's too much for a faster runner and too little for a slower runner. Rays formula is much better.

thats great thanks lads. just trying to get a sense of a target for a summer and an autumn marathon.

• Advertisement

Thanks Ecoli. Quick question I am struggling with the stride running a mixture of weather and no where to do them over the last few weeks. I really want to get quicker I feel like I only have the one gear.

If I was to play soccer on a Wednesday would this be the same as strides. Probably a stupid question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Dave if its any help to you when im finished the run i just walk the required 80m back out the road and then run back in faster than normal, then walk back to the start as the recovery...you could do it up along the side of the soccer pitch either....
    I think the idea of doing them after the run is to train the legs to run fast when a bit tired and doing it during soccer might not have the same effect...but i stand to be corrected on that!!

Very true. My runs are done around a block which is fairly busy in the evening I suppose I could go to a football pitch but the closest one to me has no lights. Maybe it might be easier now the evenings are getting longer.

I could always do them after football note to self don't be so lazy and get out and do it, stop making excuses.:)

One bad run does that your head.

hey another question for anyone who can help. The club are doing mile repeats tonight (5 i think with 4-5 min recovery). according to daniels i shouldnt be doing mile intervals unless i have a vDot of >65 ( mine is only 47) therefore dosent give a pace to do them at. I was thinking of just doing them at something like threshold pace minus ten seconds. Any suggestions?

@ Red face dave Don't worry too much if you cant get the strides in after your run. These aren't so much for speed but more so for form. If you want you can do them in the middle of the run ie 1 mile easy top strides and then proceed at a point where you are able to do them safely. If you are going to go this route however I would say do them on a seperate day to your tempo (say Saturday). In terms of using football as an alternative I would say the closest session you can get to football is intervals moreso than strides. Strides are all about form and shouldnt be tiring

@BobMac If the club are doing mile repeats with that recovery I think the most suitable pace for you would be 5 mile/10k pace. This should stand to you come Raheny as you will get race specific paced work. You are right in that with longer recoveries like this you need to be running a little harder than threshold pace just take it handy as that can be a very tough session for even the most experienced runners and dont be afraid to pull the plug if you working too hard in the last rep or two

@BobMac If the club are doing mile repeats with that recovery I think the most suitable pace for you would be 5 mile/10k pace. This should stand to you come Raheny as you will get race specific paced work. You are right in that with longer recoveries like this you need to be running a little harder than threshold pace just take it handy as that can be a very tough session for even the most experienced runners and dont be afraid to pull the plug if you working too hard in the last rep or two[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your help its much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

ecoli i have a few things on this weekend and was going to do my 75min run on wednesday. Anyway thing is i think i will miss one run or will have to do 5 days in a row. Did that last week and it nearly killed me. So my question is which session is best to leave out.... one of the 5milers??

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭KittyMittens

Morning all, quick question, does anyone know or recommend anywhere I could get a sports massage around Clontarf /IFSC / Town? Have a sore lower calf muscle thats not going away! Thank you

@ Nules This is probably a more doable way of getting the most out of the week considering your prior engagements. If you can try get out for a 15-20 min jog on the Sunday but if you have no time what so ever not to worry

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|5m|75 min run|Rest|5 Miles easy|3 mile tempo + 4x80m strides|Rest

@KittyMittens I usually get my physio work/ sports massages off Vinny Mulvey but that probably a bit far out for you alot of people recommend this one in town but its not cheap

http://functionaltraining.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

ecoli wrote: »
    but that probably a bit far out for you alot of people recommend this one in town but its not cheap

http://functionaltraining.ie

I've gone to Peter Matthews there a few times for sports massage, he's really good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭KittyMittens

Thanks ecoli, will try functional training in the next couple of weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭galwayhooker

Have totally neglected running since dcm but no more excuses - going out for 5 mile run tomorrow to see how I get on.knee seems to be ok.going to kettlebells in Navan tomorrow night - thanks younganne for info again.might see you there :)

enjoy Kettlebells class tonight Galwayhooker...which class are you going to... i won't be there tonight as still on antibiotics for chest infection and wouldn't have the energy for the class...enjoy the class and take it easy...Colm, Eamonn & Annette are lovely...

I hate not being able to run but hoping to try an easy 3m Sat morn to see how i'm getting on!!!!

enjoy Kettlebells class tonight Galwayhooker...which class are you going to... i won't be there tonight as still on antibiotics for chest infection and wouldn't have the energy for the class...enjoy the class and take it easy...Colm, Eamonn & Annette are lovely...

I hate not being able to run but hoping to try an easy 3m Sat morn to see how i'm getting on!!!!

If you are on antibiotics I wouldnt recommend running for atleast 3-4 days after you finish the course. The problem with antibiotics is they eliminate not only the bad but also the good meaning that your immune system is quite low even the day you finish. You should always allow a few days to let your immune system build up again before putting it under stress in case you relapse

Thanks Ecoli...finishing them today so will leave it till Sunday/Monday so...thought the 2 days would be enough...not sure if i'll be doing Raheny 5m now...no running since 29 Dec...what would you recommend for getting back into it next week?
    I was thinking
    mon - 3m easy.
    tue - 3m easy.
    thur - 5m easy,
    sat - 80 mins easy...

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭galwayhooker

Thanks Ecoli...finishing them today so will leave it till Sunday/Monday so...thought the 2 days would be enough...not sure if i'll be doing Raheny 5m now...no running since 29 Dec...what would you recommend for getting back into it next week?
    I was thinking
    mon - 3m easy.
    tue - 3m easy.
    thur - 5m easy,
    sat - 80 mins easy...

Well just back from the half 8 kettlebell class and boy did I feel it :) so glad I went as really needed kick start like that class to get my ass back in gear since the marathon.instructors there very nice - couldn't get over big crowd and how I had never heard of class before.
    Ah you poor thing you with chest infection but ecoli is totally right by saying to take it easy when on antibiotics - you will only do more damage by going out and putting pressure on yourself.I was so happy with my first ever marathon time but ended up with knee injury after and it killed me not being able to run.felt like had gone into depression after such a high!!no pain at all in knee after class tonight so it's worth it to stick it out.
    Presume you live about Navan so if you ever want any company for run def let me know - can pass on my mob no to you.I live in Kells.I ended up doing marathon as group called Meath marathon group who would meet up at about 1/4 to 9 every sar morn for long runs encouraged me - very nice gang.we are hoping to meet up sat morn again in new yr so def join us.can let you know night before if they head out for run - and group is different levels.

Having a good week this week. Running is much easier when things are going right. Got 2 good sessions in so far. Hoping to go for my first mountain run on Saturday going to do either a 10k or a half marathon race in the Sileve Blooms mountain on Easter Sunday just to try something different. Anyone any words of wisdom on what to expect.

I was thinking
    mon - 3m easy.
    tue - 3m easy.
    thur - 5m easy,
    sat - 80 mins easy...

I think if you can schedule it this way it might help you just make sure that the immune system builds back up

mon - 3m easy.
    Wed - 3m easy.
    fri- 3 miles easy
    sat - 60mins easy..

after this you can go back into full training the following week

Well just back from the half 8 kettlebell class and boy did I feel it :) so glad I went as really needed kick start like that class to get my ass back in gear since the marathon.instructors there very nice - couldn't get over big crowd and how I had never heard of class before.

Presume you live about Navan so if you ever want any company for run def let me know - can pass on my mob no to you.I live in Kells.I ended up doing marathon as group called Meath marathon group who would meet up at about 1/4 to 9 every sar morn for long runs encouraged me - very nice gang.we are hoping to meet up sat morn again in new yr so def join us.can let you know night before if they head out for run - and group is different levels.

Its actually this evening & tomorrow that you will feel the effects of the class:eek:...but a gentle run is actually the best way of stretching out the muscles....i'll be back next week to class but i go to 7.30 class as i go on my way home from work....

I would definitely be interested in meeting up some of the Saturdays, i live 12 miles outside Navan but its only a 20min spin in!!!! I would love company on a run as i only ever train on my own and think it would do me good to make sure i'm running a conversational pace when I'm suppose to!!!

• Advertisement

Having a good week this week. Running is much easier when things are going right. Got 2 good sessions in so far. Hoping to go for my first mountain run on Saturday going to do either a 10k or a half marathon race in the Sileve Blooms mountain on Easter Sunday just to try something different. Anyone any words of wisdom on what to expect.

Great book called "Feet in the Clouds" and its all about Fell/mountain running...OMG it doesn't sound easy, i'm reading it in slow motion...keep picking up other books too.....i can pass it on to you when i'm finished if your interested!!!!

Enjoy the run....sorry i can't give any advice except watch the footing if its loose underfoot!!

Advertisement