Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Class of 2011- the continuing challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Having a good week this week. Running is much easier when things are going right. Got 2 good sessions in so far. Hoping to go for my first mountain run on Saturday going to do either a 10k or a half marathon race in the Sileve Blooms mountain on Easter Sunday just to try something different. Anyone any words of wisdom on what to expect.
    Good to hear things are going well this week dave. Mountain run :eek: that sure as hell will get the heart pumping. Looking forward to a race report on that one. When ya starting a log dave ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Started reading P&D Advanced Marathoning last night as i got it at christmas and OMG there is some good stuff in there. It gives a great explaination to the elements of training and how you can improve some...but nothing you can do about others....its really making me want to get back to my training.....hoping to follow the marathon plan for the up to 55m per week 18 week plan!!!

the current plan is
    • Raheny 5 - 29th Jan...hopefully
    • Meath Spring Half Marathon - 4th March
    • Cork Marathon 4th June....

Anyone else thinking of Cork or any other marathons????

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭galwayhooker

Younganne wrote: »
    Well just back from the half 8 kettlebell class and boy did I feel it :) so glad I went as really needed kick start like that class to get my ass back in gear since the marathon.instructors there very nice - couldn't get over big crowd and how I had never heard of class before.

Presume you live about Navan so if you ever want any company for run def let me know - can pass on my mob no to you.I live in Kells.I ended up doing marathon as group called Meath marathon group who would meet up at about 1/4 to 9 every sar morn for long runs encouraged me - very nice gang.we are hoping to meet up sat morn again in new yr so def join us.can let you know night before if they head out for run - and group is different levels.

Its actually this evening & tomorrow that you will feel the effects of the class:eek:...but a gentle run is actually the best way of stretching out the muscles....i'll be back next week to class but i go to 7.30 class as i go on my way home from work....

I would definitely be interested in meeting up some of the Saturdays, i live 12 miles outside Navan but its only a 20min spin in!!!! I would love company on a run as i only ever train on my own and think it would do me good to make sure i'm running a conversational pace when I'm suppose to!!!

Am def feeling pain in legs today - going up stairs was a struggle :) def come along sat morn.the group doesn't get back into proper swing till march but got txt last fri from few people asking if anyone was interested in running sat morn.before the marathon there was a group of about 10 plus heading out religiously at quarter to 9 every sat morn and we did our 16 - 20 mile runs.great company - we met at ramparts in Navan and on wed we did speed work at track in Navan.paddy our trainer from Dublin was lovely.there was a nice dinner and night out in Navan with the gang in Navan after marathon and we all travelled up to marathon on mini bus. you are taking it easy at the mo which you should do but will def txt ya nxt time I am heading out with gang for run.see that you are thinking of doing cork mar.i am def gona do it so be nice to have a run buddy for the long runs esp coming up to marathon.girl in our gang who did long runs with us didn't do Dublin but she wants to do cork as well.I will msg my no to you - might do earlier class thurs nxt week with kettle bells - see how running week goes - was gona go for run around Navan and then to class - will see how lazy I am nxt week :€

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Thanks Anne very kind of you. I think I will wait and see what its like first before I take the book off you. I am useless at running up hills never mind a mountain so its going to be a case of digging deep.

Nules, I have been thinking about starting a log but I cant think of a good title any help :-)

Galwayhooker, thanks got PM and sent reply...ye defo be interested in linking up for Cork...will talk to you soon...i have program done out starting 31 jan for 18 weeks so going to spend next few weeks getting back into the regular running and building back up to where i was before Christmas!!! Talk soon.

Dave...you'll probably be a dab hand at running mountains by the time i'm finished reading the book...enjoy the run tomorrow...as for the log anything goes...have a look at some of the log titles and you'll see....it will come to you while out running some day;)

• Advertisement

hurray - 1st run of 2012 completed!!!
    16th January 2012 - 3.14m, 30.46mins, 9.47ave pace, 163 avgHB

at last i got my first run of 2012 in....went for a 3m at lunch and have to say its a beautiful day out....

i ran the first mile with a friend that is builing up mileage and is doing great with 4.7m completed but she found the pace a little too much for her so she dropped back and i went on to finish at my own pace

Distance=ave pace/avg HR
    m1=10.30/151
    m2=9.36/167
    m3=9.16/174

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Hi Folks

Here is this weeks plan with two weeks to go till Raheny a big effort should be put in on Wednesday

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|5m|Fartlek|5m|rest|5 miles easy|75mins

Fartlek: 1 mile easy, 6x3 min @ 5 mile pace, 2 min off recovery, 1 mile easy

The table for the new year...feel free to change it

Name|Weeks Sessions|Weeks Distance|Weeks Total|Monthly Total|Yearly total|Comments
    BobMac104|||||
    Younganne|0|0|0|0|0|back to it today|
    red face dave||||
    Nules10 ||||
    Conseng||||
    run44|||||
    shazkea||||
    KittyMittens|||||
    Cutex||||
    sunflowerro|||| |
    Jimh|||| |
    Kit3 ||||
    Alitoast|||||

back running today so will put that in next weeks log:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Thanks Anne are the sessions and distance columns for the week or total?

i reckon weekly to keep the same format as before...the monthly & yrly total are just for people to see how they are progressing...as i said any changes or better format.... work away...

• Advertisement

Name|Weeks Sessions|Weeks Distance|Weeks Total|Monthly Total|Yearly total|Comments
    BobMac104|6|41.6|2?|76.6|76.6|so far so good for 2012|
    Younganne|0|0|0|0|0|back to it today|
    red face dave||||
    Nules10 ||||
    Conseng||||
    run44|||||
    shazkea||||
    KittyMittens|||||
    Cutex||||
    sunflowerro|||| |
    Jimh|||| |
    Kit3 ||||
    Alitoast|||||

Name|Weeks Sessions|Weeks Total|Monthly Total|Yearly total|Comments
    BobMac104|6|41.6|76.6|76.6|so far so good for 2012|
    Younganne|0|0|0|0|back to it today|
    red face dave||||
    Nules10 ||||
    Conseng||||
    run44|||||
    shazkea||||
    KittyMittens|||||
    Cutex||||
    sunflowerro|||| |
    Jimh|||| |
    Kit3 ||||
    Alitoast|||||

red face dave||||
    Nules10 |4|24|58|58
    Conseng||||
    run44|||||
    shazkea||||
    KittyMittens|||||
    Cutex||||
    sunflowerro|||| |
    Jimh|||| |
    Kit3 ||||
    Alitoast|||||

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

red face dave||||
    Nules10 ||||
    Conseng||||
    run44|4|31.25m|61.5m|61.5m|Getting back into the long runs gradually!|
    shazkea||||
    KittyMittens|||||
    Cutex||||
    sunflowerro|||| |
    Jimh|||| |
    Kit3 ||||
    Alitoast|||||

red face dave||||
    Nules10 |4|24|58|58
    Conseng||||
    run44|4|31.25m|61.5m|61.5m|
    shazkea||||
    KittyMittens|||||
    Cutex||||
    sunflowerro|||| |
    Jimh|||| |
    Kit3 ||||
    Alitoast|||||

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

red face dave|4|17.5|34.5|34.5|
    Nules10 |4|24|58|58
    Conseng||||
    shazkea||||
    KittyMittens|||||
    Cutex||||
    sunflowerro|||| |
    Jimh|||| |
    Kit3 ||||
    Alitoast|||||

Dave how did the mountain run go?? that's great mileage for last week!

Galwayhooker how were the legs by sat morn...(how far away was the toliet seat) if you have done kettlebelss class you will know what i me :eek:

i went to class Sat morn and legs just starting to recover:o

HOw are ye finding the kettle bells? there is an offer in town for classes at the moment sounds tough enough.

I really love the class, its very tough for the first class or 2 especially but after that you get use to the class...we never do the same class twice so something different every week..It all depends on the instructors you get and I have to say the guys in Navan are fab...we pay as you go €10 per class with every 7th class free...Sat morn class €8

its great for the core strength and i definitely feel it has helped me with staying upright when i get tired running instead of slumping which leads to better intake of oxygen so helps that way too...give it a try and see how you get on...won't do you any harm anyway!!!

sounds class alright in fairness thanks Anne

• Advertisement

ok ICE BATHS/cold water baths

who uses em , who thinks they are good and how do you go about doing them.

Ie do you jump in straight away after your run or do it on a seperate occasion?

i have never used them and don't know if i ever could but i do the hot/ice cold shower and i find them helpful...I just have my normal shower after a LSR and then turn the control to the coldest setting and cover from my waist down, i put a towel over my shoulders as you get very cold very quickly, then i go back to hot back to cold etc until i feel the legs easing out....
    maybe do a search for ice baths see what comes up...

Thanks Anne, ya I use the ol cold blast on the legs alright but i get fierce cold very fast.Its too tempting just to have a hot shower and forget about it

legs definitely thank you for it though after...so can you imagine how good an ice bath would be if a blast of the shower can make such a difference!!!:eek:

Just gonna have to HTFU and try it i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭KittyMittens

red face dave|4|17.5|34.5|34.5|
    Nules10 |4|24|58|58
    Conseng||||
    shazkea||||
    KittyMittens|2|7.3|20.3|20.3|Cant seem to get leg fixed and back running|
    Cutex||||
    sunflowerro|||| |
    Jimh|||| |
    Kit3 ||||
    Alitoast|||||

sorry to hear that KM ..
    hope it comes right for you soon

hope you are on the mend soon Kittymittens..take it easy and make sure you don't do too much.
    What is the issue and what does physio say regarding it being sorted??

EDIT:scrap the questions, just remembered its your calf...did you get massage yet and how did it help??

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭KittyMittens

Thanks all, nothing too serious just seems to be a bit knot thats tricky to get rid of. Am entered for Raheny but can always give it a miss if not right by then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Thanks all, nothing too serious just seems to be a bit knot thats tricky to get rid of. Am entered for Raheny but can always give it a miss if not right by then

Have you seen a physio. Sports massages can be great for that kind of thing was having similar problem with the calf and got massage monday and has helped clear it up a good bit. Its always best to get these things sorted early when there only a niggle as usually this will mean that you dont have to take any time off as a result of it.

Also its easier to keep level head when you have a niggle. Many of us when are injured for a while can get desperate and try any solution we hear of and sometimes phyio's/sports therapist exploit this by having you on everynew fandangled treatment that costs an arm and a leg but if its only a niggle we are able to make sure that the phyio/sports therapist we go to is actually treating the injury properly as opposed to dragging it out to maximise the amount of money they make off us

**Not saying all sports injury practicioners are like this but there can be the odd cowboy

Advertisement